Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Are you planning a Man Cave? Update

Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 24, 2017 4:57PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Hi everyone

Is anyone here in the man cave planning business?

We can "share" our experiences here if you'd like?

I've been talking about organization and decoration for "over" a decade.

Well.

Now I have the time and have allocated funds.

I'll have a front room of about 14X13' and a backroom (vacated by my son years ago) - not sure of the size - I would guess 16X13' or so? More on that later.

This will be in conjunction with redoing our kitchen - so I'm not looking forward to it at all.

So, here's some of the disorganization attached to these 2 rooms and 1 partial walk in closet.

And this isn't everything - there's more in some closets.

Unused display case at this time:

I've torn stuff off the wall and started boxing stuff up for the demolition. It starts in the front of the house first. When finished - then we go to the back of the house.

Lots to box up and temporarily store.

Back room with some of the mess!

More of the front:

More of the back:

Now we're in the walk in:

In the back again:

Top shelf just loaded with cards to go thru and see what's worth saving or donating?

Just some slop:

Safe needs organizing - graded cards to the top - don't have a ton of graded.

So this is my start.

If anyone else has the same idea/plan? I'd sure like you to share it.

Thanx for viewing.

Not so organized Stone 193.

Mike

Comments

• GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Mike- certainly no shortage of material to work with, can't wait to see the game display and Take Me Out to the Ballgame stuff.
    What are the uncut sheets in the 4th picture?

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭
    Hope the safe is bolted to the ground!
  • EstilEstil Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭✭
    You can see some pics of my man cave/den on my photobucket link below. It's not fancy by any means but it does the job.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanx Anthony

It's a 76T with stars and 83T with Ryno.

I hope that next spring I get to show something really nice.

The wall in the from room with the shelf will be extended over the entire wall.

I plan to have an entire wall top to bottom with shelves - with a center portion having adjustable glass shelves w/puck light for special items that I can change on a regular basis.

When the safe is placed in the back room - it'll be impossible to remove without demolition.
    Mike
  • It's going to be great!
  • dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Mike,
    You could start a small museum--- to heck with a man cave.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished project. You have a lot of amazing stuff

James
  • LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Estil

You can see some pics of my man cave/den on my photobucket link below. It's not fancy by any means but it does the job.

Not sure if it's me or the link but all I see is a very relaxed looking cat!

Kevin

Kevin

Mike,

I'm looking forward to seeing your project moving forward.

As I mentioned before my man cave project will start this fall as well. Are you suggesting others ad their photos here as well or in a seperate post? Don't want to be that guy jumping into your post uninvited.

Kevin

Kevin

• seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    wow! sounds like an awesome project...i have a feeling this is going to turn out spectacular....you may even be surprised with the options these days...

good luck, have fun and keep us updated!!
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike, It will be quite the undertaking, but the finished product will be worth it. Now....is that a vintage Strat in the second pic?
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    HOLY CRAP MIKE! Screw the Man Cave ... you may have to buy a new house in your neighborhood to display everything you have. Good luck ... I am looking forward to seeing your progress. I may have to take a trip to Texas one day to see it in person!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    Originally posted by: LOTSOS

Mike,

I'm looking forward to seeing your project moving forward.

As I mentioned before my man cave project will start this fall as well. Are you suggesting others ad their photos here as well or in a seperate post? Don't want to be that guy jumping into your post uninvited.

Kevin

It's totally up to you Kevin.

You can start your own or add it here. If you add it here?

I'm gonna list the members who are contributing so people can see "their" progress.

Mike
  • KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I posted a few pics of mine in previously, and only have to put the wood floor down in the gym area and cabinets in the kitchen and done. We bought this house because our other one did not have a basement, and we finished this one so the kids would have a place to watch games, play with friends, and basically once they hit junior and senior high would know where they are at - hence the reason my wife's wine room got nixed. Probably not a good idea to put a bunch of alcohol where the teenagers can get to it. Here are a few pics.

Card opening table/ theater area - area was designed so we could open boxes of cards, have a clean viewing area for cards we want to submit...and watch some games.

Card storage and display area. Had an area framed in when we finished the basement, and having a display cabinet built as we speak. Bottom area will be for box storage, monster boxes, supplies... Top area will be for displaying boxes, cards, shoes, auto balls, helmets...

Fireplace area behind table

Bat and vintage glove display area - my wife did the decorating on this one.

KC

Originally posted by: Downtown1974

Mike, It will be quite the undertaking, but the finished product will be worth it. Now....is that a vintage Strat in the second pic?

Not that one.

I've played Strats my whole experience.

That's a guitar out of Detroit - Reverend guitars - they sound great and easy to play.

Mike
    Thanx for all the kind words of encouragement guys.

If anyone has any design suggestions or anything - please jump in!

I've got my plans - so far - just depends on the cost.

Unfortunately the person who I wanted to do the project just retired. So, I'll be starting the process of looking.

I don't want the cost of the kitchen to take on a life of its own - I want something that's nice but not at the total expense of our savings for this.

Does that make sense?
    Mike
    I remember those scans Keith.

I wish we had basements here.

Looks incredible!
    Mike

Looks incredible!
    Mike

Looks incredible!
    Mike

Looks incredible!
    Mike
    Thank you Stone. Having grown up in Florida we did not have basements, so this is my first one as well. I had saved up for several years for whenever we found a house so I could design and pay for it - went about 3-4 years with no card purchases. Now I am able to grab a few cards each year to add to the collection. Thank you again for the nice words, and the wife gets credit for some nest designs and decorations.

KC
  • Great start in an always evolving luxury!

also...absolutely love the Mike Schmidt Wiffle ball box.
  • I want to know more about that tent in the basement too image
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Triple post!! ??
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike I can't wait to see more pictures of the project. I'm excited for you!

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

Thanx guys.

This thread will bury till I really have something to report.

We called a contractor who my friends have all used - and for sure he's retired.

So, we're in the process of talking to come contractors.

I drew up this quickv"sketch" idea of what I want in the back room.

Was a little shorter than I thought.

The shelf will go floor to ceiling - 12" deep - 13 ft. long and 9 ft. high:

Not sure how many shelves - width or anything - I just know that I want a "middle" area with adjustable glass shelves with a light above to "feature" items on a rotating basis.

There will be a similar wall shelf in the front room - about 12' long - same idea except the very bottom shelves will house books and binders.

We're probably gonna have to spend some money on some plans/drawings for a contractor to do a good job.

This is gonna be a loooooooong journey.

From what I understand, if we're willing to do this around Christmas? We can save some dough.

Mike
  • mouschimouschi Posts: 687 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow looks like you have some great stuff! I will probably never have a "man cave" because I wouldn't want to setup all the stuff I collect, since all I collect is Canseco. I'd feel too much like an obsessed stalker! image In my office, I have to consciously put away things, because if I don't, it tends to get out of hand.

On the other hand, I guess our living room is man-caveish! We have a huge projector screen, a fooseball table, boccer ball and an air hockey table for our coffee table. I'm very thankful to have a fun wife image
    Tanner Jones, Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict - Now Available on Amazon!
    Originally posted by: mouschi

Wow looks like you have some great stuff! I will probably never have a "man cave" because I wouldn't want to setup all the stuff I collect, since all I collect is Canseco. I'd feel too much like an obsessed stalker! image In my office, I have to consciously put away things, because if I don't, it tends to get out of hand.

On the other hand, I guess our living room is man-caveish! We have a huge projector screen, a fooseball table, boccer ball and an air hockey table for our coffee table. I'm very thankful to have a fun wife image

Mike
    Originally posted by: Stone193
    Thanx guys.

This thread will bury till I really have something to report.

We called a contractor who my friends have all used - and for sure he's retired.

So, we're in the process of talking to come contractors.

I drew up this quickv"sketch" idea of what I want in the back room.

Was a little shorter than I thought.

The shelf will go floor to ceiling - 12" deep - 13 ft. long and 9 ft. high:

Not sure how many shelves - width or anything - I just know that I want a "middle" area with adjustable glass shelves with a light above to "feature" items on a rotating basis.

There will be a similar wall shelf in the front room - about 12' long - same idea except the very bottom shelves will house books and binders.

We're probably gonna have to spend some money on some plans/drawings for a contractor to do a good job.

This is gonna be a loooooooong journey.

From what I understand, if we're willing to do this around Christmas? We can save some dough.

Mike

I am doing the same thing right now with a display area, and here is what we are doing.

Bottom part of the display area are cabinets that can be closed and used to store things like monster boxes, supplies....

Middle section is shelves with lighting overhead to highlight display boxes, cards, signed helmets and balls. Sounds like you have a pretty good setup there, and best of luck with it.

KC

• jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    I'll post some picts. I have only thrown up 4-5 picts over the last 10-11 years here, because it is such a hassle. I am going to build another 20 X 20 "garage with a lift for my '68, and turn the walls into a museum of rock and roll, sports, entertainment, and comic collectibles.
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
    Mike

I am doing the same thing right now with a display area, and here is what we are doing.

Bottom part of the display area are cabinets that can be closed and used to store things like monster boxes, supplies....

Middle section is shelves with lighting overhead to highlight display boxes, cards, signed helmets and balls. Sounds like you have a pretty good setup there, and best of luck with it.

Sounds like a great idea Keith.

I was doing some thinking about the shelves and looking at what I have and realize that the shelves more towards the bottom may need to be a little higher than on top to allow room for taller items.
    Mike
    Originally posted by: jmmiller777

I'll post some picts. I have only thrown up 4-5 picts over the last 10-11 years here, because it is such a hassle. I am going to build another 20 X 20 "garage with a lift for my '68, and turn the walls into a museum of rock and roll, sports, entertainment, and comic collectibles.

Looking forward to your updates John and photos.

I hope others will come on board with their man cave ideas and stuff.

Mike
  • SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Mike, that will be so much fun putting your man cave together. I love projects like that. Keep us posted!

"Molon Labe"

• GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Mike, if you haven't spoken to Todd Tobias about this yet you should- he's set up trophy rooms for retired athletes and museums for teams. I'm sure he'll have some good ideas.
    The important question is what did you have to get Mary to get this approved image

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• EstilEstil Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: LOTSOS

Originally posted by: Estil

Not sure if it's me or the link but all I see is a very relaxed looking cat!

Kevin

Look under the collections folder.

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
    Originally posted by: SidePocket

Mike, that will be so much fun putting your man cave together. I love projects like that. Keep us posted!

Thanx Mark.

Mike
    Originally posted by: Griffins

Mike, if you haven't spoken to Todd Tobias about this yet you should- he's set up trophy rooms for retired athletes and museums for teams. I'm sure he'll have some good ideas.

The important question is what did you have to get Mary to get this approved image

Thanx Anthony.

Years and years of delicate negotiation.

Mary's a real buddy. image

Mike
  • rt1963rt1963 Posts: 32 ✭✭
    Planned and displayed our collection a few years back. Here is the before:

In progress:

Outcome:

Good luck with your room!

Really nice.

I think I remember these when you posted them last time.

Good show! image
    Mike
    Love the closet conversion to the locker stalls. That's a sweet set up!

Kevin

Awesome display!! Love the replica Yankee Stadium touch on top - looks great!!
    edited May 3, 2017 6:41PM

Hi everyone

Thought it was time to give a little update on my progress.

First, I improved the shelves in the front room.

And now to the start of the wall shelf that I "badly" diagramed above:

The wall to wall shelf is 13+' wide and over 8' tall.

The "middle" shelf area will have glass shelves and an LED puck on a digital dimmer; the others will have directional LED pucks in the ceiling which uses way less space than track lights; more to come.

The wood box you see on the bottom is the pedestal - about 34" wide - each self is 10" deep.

and I also had the carpenter add a bunch of shelves to the closet for storage of my stuff:

I also had him build me a pedestal for some of my coin ops - I originally wanted to display up to 6 but it would be too large/deep - I'll have to get a good pic of it.

I was thinking of painting it flat black?

I'll try to update as I work on this - the first job is to get as much stuff in the closet and cataloged/organized and then pick what I want to display.

More to come - thanx for viewing.

Mike
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

Looks great Mike. Happy to see you adding some hockey to your man cave (LED pucks).

@MULLINS5 said:
    Looks great Mike. Happy to see you adding some hockey to your man cave (LED pucks).

Now that's funny.

Thanx!

Mike

Mike - looks sweet and great job on the man cave. Really well organized with the shelves.

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mike, it's starting to come along. I love those shelves, wish I had that kind of space.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭

Looks great so far!

Found the first mistake in the shelving.

I wanted 12" shelves in the middle/bottom for binders - the band that goes across decreased the opening by over an inch.

Talked to the carpenter - we're gonna decrease the band separating the opening - since it's in the middle and not aligned with the other shelves - I don't mind it having a different thickness.

Have the electrician coming over to work out the lighting with me and the painter for the shelves and walls - my wife picked out a great color for the walls.

I will be asking for input down the road - re: how many pics on the wall is "too" much?

Thanx for the kind words and input guys.

Mike
  • SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭

The shelves look great Mike, besides the binders what will go on them?

"Molon Labe"

• totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 924 ✭✭✭

@Dboneesq said:
    HOLY CRAP MIKE! Screw the Man Cave ... you may have to buy a new house in your neighborhood to display everything you have. Good luck ... I am looking forward to seeing your progress. I may have to take a trip to Texas one day to see it in person!!!

I was thinking along the lines of tearing down the garage and building a back house, but I don't disagree with this option either.