Home U.S. Coin Forum

My first meaningful coin pickup in several months: 1837 Feuchtwanger 3C

Had this coin on hold for a few months until I scrounged up the $$ to pick it up. While it was on hold I had passed up a couple other AU53 examples (and decided not to bid on the PC63 that just recently sold at auction). Bought it from JG Numismatics.

The example below mine is a PCGS MS62 example...

Comments

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ooooooh! Aaaaaaah! Nice! I did not know they had a three cent version.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow.

I wasn't expecting a 3c. I just read the "Feuchtwanger" part.

Cool!

Hey, wait a sec- that isn't dated 1869! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MD,

Have to say I like yours better!!

great pick up
  • etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭
    Very nice. Looks like a great pickup.

Mike
  • coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations on an outstanding piece!! Yours is much nicer, just fantastic....
    I'm still on the lookout for one but haven't been well enough lately.

• TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd take your 55 over the 62 everyday, and twice on Tuesday. Very nice!

I'd love the have one as a companion piece to my 3-cent nickel set (in progress), but I'll have to settle for the Feuchwanger 1 Cent, and some fast talking. image
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭
    Your 55 smokes the 62. Well done.

The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outstanding piece!

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful coin! I love those 3c Feuchtwangers!
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice looking piece and looks properly graded compared to the 62.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tough issue, congrats.
  • DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    I Like image
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • msch1manmsch1man Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭
    Great coin...you don't see the 3 centers very often. Perfect AU piece...no need to compare it to others, it stands on its own.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would ask the obvious question --- Is everyone judging the picture or the coin when they say they like the AU55??
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice looking AU. It appears to be a bit better struck than the 62.
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes another illustration how TPG grading of F1 and F3 pieces is inconsistent. The AU wins in strike and eye appeal hands down. I've studied these and in my opinion the finest known is an MS61 ex. John Ford. Nice piece and an intriguing design that invites study.
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good looking 3c! Congrats!

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really nice. Love the strike and details.
    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's awesome, I love it!
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great coin.... and based on the pictures, the 55 looks superior...would love to see them both in hand for proper comparison... Cheers, RickO
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Winner winner chicken dinner????
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice. Congrats!

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a very nice example. It's a bit nicer than the raw one I have in my collection.

This variety is the most collectable of the Feuchtwanger three cent pieces. The others are much rarer and far pricier.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My favorite of the four NY Shield F3s I've owned is a VG example. It boggles my mind how the piece circulated to that extent. Interesting also is the total absence of VRT (Vivid Rainbow Toning) on these issues, and how it sometimes appears on the F1.
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you purchased an absolutely superb example.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    That is a great piece.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    great example!
  • mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ambro51

My favorite of the four NY Shield F3s I've owned is a VG example. It boggles my mind how the piece circulated to that extent. Interesting also is the total absence of VRT (Vivid Rainbow Toning) on these issues, and how it sometimes appears on the F1.

Ambro, I found the One Cent variety with toning...perhaps not VRT but amazing color for a Feuchtwanger (see below). These two coins took me a couple of years to add as permanent members of the clan image

All --

Thanks for your feedback. I had the Three Cent coin on hold since mid-April, and finally was able to pull together the $$ to pick it up yesterday.

When the PCGS population report sits at a mere 43 pieces, and CAC (both NGC and PCGS) is only at 6 pieces (1 at 40, 1 at 53, 2 at 55, and 2 at 58) it's difficult to pass up an opportunity to pick up one of the PQ examples when it becomes available (it might not be fore some time that a nice one comes along).

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Nice piece and an intriguing design that invites study."

The design is the NY State Seal.

Liberty and Justice, eagle on shield, "Excelsior" below, manufactured goods in background, representing the fruits of American Industry.

I don't know if the rosettes and stars on the reverse mean anything or are just decorative.
    Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both of those are wonderful and wholesome pieces for the grades. Congratulations.

Tom

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's beautiful.....I've never had a 'three'.....
  • NVUNVU Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    I really like the design of 3 cents and the toning of the 1 cent. Amazing pieces!
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice!
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice one !

I got one of these in a "junk" lot one time image
    But it was corroded and holed image

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a superb example you snagged there mercurydimeguy imageimage

There's only a small handful of examples mostly all under MS60 with fully original surfaces which all have retained that lovely reverse pull away.

I've never had the opportunity to grab one as when they usually surface they are in a major HTT collection offering with rarer examples to chase.

Ambro51 owns or owned a XF45 example which I'd much rather own then that MS62 example you posted even if priced equally.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭
    Your coin looks superior to the 62.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Shamika

Your coin looks superior to the 62.

I'm fascinated by coins with low pops (this is pop 43 total at PCGS) because the see grading on them could end up all over the place (not many come across the grading room floor).

On the other hand, people who buy these things often know that that the grade printed on the label is not always indicative of selling price. I can tell you I (for one) paid about 40% premium to PCGS price guide on this item...nearing the price point of one of the MS examples.

I could have bought an AU53 for about $950 less but chose not to. Maybe I'm a dunce, maybe not...who knows image
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is an issue where the token itself is more important since most buyers aren't focusing on TPG or CAC. In CH AU they have been steadily fetching between $2200 to $3000 graded or raw for the last 8 years. There is collector demand at any grade and it's not uncommon to regularly see circ VG to VF examples fetch $1200 to $1500 which protects the price levels of the higher grading examples.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file