Home U.S. Coin Forum

Williamsport, PA show report

MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
My friend, Ed Hammond, Running Bear Coins, was going to be at the WANS show today. This prompted me to attend the show and spend some time behind the table with him. I arrived at the show around 10:15 and went in to a decent crowd. Buying the raffle tickets, I only placed my first name and phone number on them. The guy at the table said: "That is a Maryland area code." With that we chatted a little and I walked in and the first person I saw was my friend Richard Nanson. We chatted a while and I bought a 1924 S circulated Mercury dime from him. I walked the floor and there were about 20-25 dealers with all years and series of coins represented. It was amazing the quality of the Seated and Bust dimes and halves that were for sale. Whenever I got to Ed's table, he was swamped. The major sellers for him were foreign silver coins and gold. In gold, both foreign and U.S. were selling. Modern silver proof sets were in demand and so were circulated silver dollars.

I had been in the show for about 45 minutes and the guy who I bought the raffle tickets from came over and asked if I drove a white Buick. I had, so he let me know my lights were on. The crowd did not die out and I was there for several hours. Collectors from Virginia who come to my shows in Maryland and Gettysburg were at this show. The Williamsport Cheerleaders were running the concession stand and looked to be doing a good business. I went back, purchased a drink, and there were 30-40 people sitting in that area eating.

This was a great small show with friendly dealers, who I knew most of. With the quality of merchandise, I understand why collectors from as far away as Virginia attended. Next year, if you get the chance, I would recommend this show.

My show report isn't as eloquent as most, but I hope you get my drift.
Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com

Comments

• goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice report.
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, circumstance must change dramatically from year to year at that show. I drove 2-1/2 hours to get to that show last year, and it was a complete waste of time and gas. Couldn't sell or buy anything worthwhile there. There were more weekend warriors set up there than full time dealers, which is why I knew it was a futile trip.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice report and interesting about the quality of material. I am sometimes in PA for other reasons, will watch for this show and maybe coordinate it with other purposes... Cheers, RickO
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I almost went to that show but opted for a small auction today.

Thanks for the report.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enjoyed your report! Wish I had more time to go to shows, so have to enjoy them vicariously

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file