Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1960 d penny question

Is this the small or large version and what would all the expert expect to receive grade wise on this penny appreciate the guidance thank you Craig

Working on 1961 1972 1973 topps sets

Comments

• Options
    TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    Large Date. Not clear enough pictures to distinguish between AU or MS. The reflection of light makes it impossible to tell between cleaned, RD or RB.
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TigersFan2

Large Date. Not clear enough pictures to distinguish between AU or MS. The reflection of light makes it impossible to tell between cleaned, RD or RB.

+1

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    CsmontieCsmontie Posts: 184 ✭✭
    Appreciate the help, whats the best way to take a picture of a coin to get all of "you experts" to give me an idea of what grade it may receive. I don't even know if it would be worth it. If I read correctly it appears to be about $25 per coin, do the coin graders run specials like the sports card graders? If so I'd be interested because I just found my coin collection from the 70s and there are some coins I would like to get graded to hand down to the children and grandchildren when they come along :-)

What does RD and RB mean and how would the AU and MS grade compare to the PSCG rating

again thanks for the help Craig
  • Options

its not worth it for this coin.

read a few photography threads from the archives here.

once you can take decent pictures, post a few of your better coins, for various reasons.

rb - red brown

rd - red

rephrase your au ms inquiry.

welcome to numismatics? image

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    I was just asking about the post TigersFan2 wrote when he said MS or AU. I remember seeing those categories at one time but now all the grades seem to be from PGCS with a 63 to 67 and I was asking how the MS and AU would compare to a PGCS grade. Thanks for the info Lance appreciate the responses
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    large date
  • Options
    Lance I think I figured it out actually did some reading during my coffee this morning and the MS I think means mint state whereas the AU means already circulated (??) I guessed, then it goes to the XF VF F VG etc ...again thanks for the quick responses from everyone Craig
  • Options

letter grades accompany numerical.

grades - photograde

• Options
    Bob1951Bob1951 Posts: 268 ✭✭
    AU-almost uncirculated.

Your coin is a large date. Appears MS from here. Not worth grading in MHO. An easy way to remember if a 1960 cent is a small date or large date is this:

The large date has a round "O" while the small date has an oval "O".

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the coin board...and back to coin collecting.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Bob1951
    AU-almost uncirculated.

Your coin is a large date. Appears MS from here. Not worth grading in MHO. An easy way to remember if a 1960 cent is a small date or large date is this:

Thank you for that information. I have the hardest time distinguishing the difference for this particular date. Not sure why, but I do. Any other easy to identify diagnostics, other than the not so easy "9 above the 1" diagnostic that the redbook uses. For some reason, that one doesnt' work for me.

Tom

• Options
    Originally posted by: TPRC

Originally posted by: Bob1951

AU-almost uncirculated.

Thank you for that information. I have the hardest time distinguishing the difference for this particular date. Not sure why, but I do. Any other easy to identify diagnostics, other than the not so easy "9 above the 1" diagnostic that the redbook uses. For some reason, that one doesnt' work for me.

just look at the sixes. the diff is huge.

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll try that as well and thank you. For now, the Os seem to work.

Tom

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file