Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What coins should exist but don't ??

Among patterns there are many 'complete sets' of all or most denominations struck with the same pattern design. The more famous are the Amazonians and Wash-ladies, plus some Indian Princess and Standard Silver series in different metals.

Another set that should have been made is the 1877 Sailor Head set in silver. About 8 or 10 of each of the dime, quarter, half and dollar in copper exist today; while only one or two each of the quarter and half are known in silver. It is logical that the mint struck 8 or 10 sets in copper; and maybe two sets in silver. But no appearance or even rumor of the dime or dollar is recorded. So where is a dime or dollar in silver??

If anyone knows where they are please let me know.
Ed

Comments

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1895-P Morgan $ business strike. 12,880 were minted according to the Redbook
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1804 half dollar, as evidenced by the existence of 1805/4 half dollars.

Also 1801 quarter eagles.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1841-o $5, mintage recorded but no examples ever surfaced. Likely 1840-O's
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Modern $10, $5, $2, and $1 coins should exist and the 0.01 and 0.05 shouldn't. Currency should run from $20 to $1000.

That would push coins immediately back into relavence.
  • Options
    TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    Kennedy Half Dollars since 2002 and the President Dollars shouldn't exist. The mint shouldn't be making business strikes of circulation coins they don't put into circulation. They just exist to create revenue by increasing the price of Mint Sets.
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    1964-D peace dollar image does this count?
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morgan silver dollars from every Mint facility in operation from 1905 - 1920.

At the very least, Philadelphia Proofs of each date for collectors.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: coindeuce

Morgan silver dollars from every Mint facility in operation from 1905 - 1920.

At the very least, Philadelphia Proofs of each date for collectors.

This was the one I thought of.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh- and proof SLQs and Peace dollars.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1943-1949 proof coins. I would love a cameo 1943 steel cent
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭
    An 1816 half dollar would probably exist had there not been a fire at Mint (specifically at Mill House), damaging the rolling machines used to prepare the planchets. If I recall correctly, the fire was caused by someone who lived next door to the Mint putting hot ashes from their a fireplace in an outside garbage bin, against the wall of the Mill House.

That building was made entirely of wood. *doh!*
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    donzmedonzme Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    1815 one cent.

2009-W proof silver eagle.
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2016 silver Merc, SLQ & Walker.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the 1913 liberty nickel exist but shouldnt. thrown in for chits and giggles.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1804 half dollar, as evidenced by the existence of 1805/4 half dollars.

Also 1801 quarter eagles.

without knowing, but assuming this is based on Mint records and the existence of an overdate, it makes no sense that they SHOULD exist. it is well known that Mint records are unreliable and although the die(s) may have been engraved for one date that doesn't mean that they ever struck any coins with other dies engraved with that date.

the even simpler explanation could be this --- the Mint never intended to strike either of the coins in question, the engraver just used the wrong punch and then corrected himself.image
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    1975 Kennedy half dollar
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1965-D Cent: All the albums had a spot for it.

Cents full set of cents from 1930 - 1934. It would have "broken" the magic "pre-1934" are more valuable.

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1976 Quarter
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    Bob1951Bob1951 Posts: 268 ✭✭
    1873-S arrows half dollar ---reported mintage--5000

1873-S Seated dollar --- reported mintage--500

1870-S quarter -- reported mintage-0- but there could be one in the cornerstone of the San Francisco mint

1827/3 quarter-circulation strike -reported mintage-4000-only a few proofs exist
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Panama Pacific quarter pattern would have helped make the set even more amazing.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    Proof Standing Liberty quarters.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2009-W Silver Eagle... should exist.... because it does not is why I quit the set....Really p****ed me off.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BryceM
    Modern $10, $5, $2, and $1 coins should exist and the 0.01 and 0.05 shouldn't. Currency should run from $20 to $1000.

Amen.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: metalmeister

1976 Quarter

I'd rather see a 1975 quarter. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    S mint Unc 2010 quarters. Why did they start that program two years into the ATB quarter program?! I feel the same way about the missing satin finish state quarters.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BryceM

Indeed!

The government is simply trying to eliminate cash and coins by making them a nuisance or at best irrelevant. This suppresses the economy in myriad ways but it especially harms the vending and tourist industries. In this country tourists were once irrelevant because it was too expensive for most of the world to visit but really bad decisions as exemplefied by maintaing the penny has made it possible for more people from more countries to visit.

Maybe we can tax,spend, and waste to the point that we can get visitors from third world countries.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    Uncirculated 1793 Strawberry Leaf Large cent .

Please note the 'uncirculated"

This coin almost has to exist somewhere. Stuck in a drawer in a desk somewhere in New England.

If I had the money, I would spend some on advertising and see if one could be shook loose.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file