Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The ANA Show & Pre-Show ... why so long?

291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
Does it really take that many days for dealers to achieve their buying and selling objectives? It must be a very expensive outing for dealers who are there for the entire period. (And a side trip across the street to Disneyland isn't cheap!)
All glory is fleeting.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do not go to Disneyland.... instead, go to the beach and people watch...far more entertaining. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This has been discussed for the past couple of years, and it does not seem to sink in that it is too long of a show, but it is one of the "biggies".
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: oih82w8
    This has been discussed for the past couple of years, and it does not seem to sink in that it is too long of a show, but it is one of the "biggies".

If you consider how few dealers now take tables at the pre-show, it obvious that it has "sunk in". Unfortunately, convention center and auction contracts are signed years in advance, so change comes slowly.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The original answer as to "why" was based years ago on number of hotel nights sold... in order to get convention space one needs to guarantee selling certain amount of rooms... of course with modern times, price line etc.. this has become a thing of the past so like Andy mentioned... it will change as time goes on
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another reason was that the ANA wasn't happy with all

the commercial coin shows held the weekend before the

ANA, at other locations nearby.

By having (originally) the PNG/ANA Pre-Show, it successfully

killed the other commercial pre-shows - and as mentioned -

the ANA gets the extra benefits of some dealers coming in early,

filling up hotel rooms, which is important to them - and since

almost every single PNG Dealer at the Pre-Show also stays for

the ANA, it's a another win for the ANA.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    mustanggtmustanggt Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It also leads to the "why do dealers leave early" question.

The ANA without the PNG is too long.
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: 291fifth

Does it really take that many days for dealers to achieve their buying and selling objectives?

Well, there are an awful lots of coins to look through.

And if you come in early, you can also view the auction lots in one fell swoop.

• Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As Chair of the ANA Dealer Relations Committee, I can attest that this has been a key item of concern and discussion. I believe starting with the ANA show in Denver, the ANA and PNG have agreed that the preshow will be held on Monday only, with the main show starting on Tuesday.
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Charmy - FWIW, I would like to see auction viewing start at least one full day before the pre-show, for obvious reasons.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andy, thank you for this input. Actually, I am looking for some dealer input on how they feel the ANA can put on a better, more well-run show, so if any other dealers have any input, I welcome your ideas. I will add them to the list of suggestions to discuss and pass on to the ANA board.
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file