Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Anyone like Peru Sol's?

Peru Sol's are one of my favorite foreign coins to collect. They were made for a long time, they have many over dates, errors, counter stamps and varieties that keep me interested in collecting them. They're also pretty underappreciated and cheap...

During the years these were .500 silver (1923-1935), there were a bunch of years that were low mintage. The key date being 1933 with 5,000 minted. I've been collecting Sol's for a few years now and I've never seen a MS 1933 example sold. I know there are about 10 floating around due to the NGC/PCGS pop reports, but I was delighted to snag this one off an eBay "buy it now" for $50 raw.

I sent this in for restoration to hopefully get rid of the red mark on the reverse. The coin was accepted on 6/6 for restoration but doesn't look any different from when I submitted it and I had it back in hand on 7/6 from a regular submission (I wasn't expecting that). It was probably bumped down a grade or two for the mark, but oh well....

Comments

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, $50??!!?? Mintage 5000 and in mint state. Any idea what the red spot is, or if NCS might have a different skill set in terms of conservation? I'm not sure the spot would bother me on this coin, but if it's a thing that might get worse or is unstable I'd want it gone. That said, I'm sure PCGS's service could get rid of something harmful.

• Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    Great pick-up.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Jackthecat1

Great pick-up.

Thanks!

Originally posted by: Stork

Wow, $50??!!?? Mintage 5000 and in mint state. Any idea what the red spot is, or if NCS might have a different skill set in terms of conservation? I'm not sure the spot would bother me on this coin, but if it's a thing that might get worse or is unstable I'd want it gone. That said, I'm sure PCGS's service could get rid of something harmful.

I'm not really sure what the red spot is. I tried soaking it in pure acetone for a few minutes, but it didn't come off at all...so I decided to send it in and let PCGS restoration try. Since these are only .500 silver, there could be a lot of other metals mixed in, I'm sure copper being one of the major ones.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup - nice find!
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unbelievable Find.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, beautiful example! Congratulations!
  • Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If anyone wants to post any of their sol's, feel free to post some of your pictures...I don't normally see many here.

Here are some in-hand if you wanted to see how it looks from an iphone. Almost proof-like...but that damn red spot!

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always a nice design.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.