Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Help with some English medieval cut fractions?

I have periodically done coin giveaways for David Crowther, host of the History of England Podcast.

It's a great podcast which I heartily recommend. Download the episodes and take 'em with you while you're on the go! History podcasts make my daily commute so much more pleasant!

David also has a new Anglo-Saxon England podcast.

He sought my help for another "cheap but fun" promotional giveaway. The idea here was something historical and fun, which wouldn't break the bank. So he ended up getting this ten-piece lot of cut fractions for less than what a single cheap intact penny would usually go for.

For now, I'm afraid these pictures are all we have to work with, and I'm aware of the limitations.

But do what you can, if you feel like it. Just let us know if anything stands out that you can ID by monarch. If not that, any information is better than none.

I have numbered the pieces to help in referencing them.

If he gets time, David may take some individual pictures later, after he receives the lot.

I'll start a running summary of information gained below. Please correct me if I get anything wrong.

1- Cut halfpenny, Voided Long Cross, Henry III (ca. 1247-1272)

2- Cut halfpenny, Short Cross (ca. 1180-1247)

3- Cut halfpenny, probably Short Cross (ca. 1180-1247)

4- Cut halfpenny, Short Cross (ca. 1180-1247)

5- Cut halfpenny, Short Cross (ca. 1180-1247)

6- Cut halfpenny, Short Cross (ca. 1180-1247), probably King John (1199-1216)

7- Struck halfpenny? (or heavily "clipped" penny? Looks a bit Tudor to me?)

8- Cut halfpenny, probably Short Cross (ca. 1180-1247)

9- Cut farthing (quarter) probably Short Cross (ca. 1180-1247)

10- Cut halfpenny (I think I can see the '---RICVS' part of "HENRICVS"- so, Henry II or III or John, since John's coins were in the name of Henry II?)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Coin #1 is a voided longcross from Henry III #6 is a shortcross probably from king John #2 is also a shortcross penny
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks. Now that you mention it, it does look like there are several Short Cross pieces in there (like #4 and #5, also?) Which is neat.

So I guess those would be circa 1180-1247, right?

Here is the Wikipedia page on the History of the English Penny, for David's benefit.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: lordmarcovan
    Thanks. Now that you mention it, it does look like there are several Short Cross pieces in there (like #4 and #5, also?) Which is neat.

So I guess those would be circa 1180-1247, right?

Here is the Wikipedia page on the History of the English Penny, for David's benefit.

Yes the Short Cross is 1180-1247 and I think you're right on coins 4 & 5.
    Coins 8 & 9 look like they could also be Short Cross as well.
  • Options
    The more I look at them I think all but 1 & 7 are Short Cross. Your summary
    looks good #7 does look Tudor to me as well.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BS

The more I look at them I think all but 1 & 7 are Short Cross. Your summary

looks good #7 does look Tudor to me as well.

Well, that makes it easier to put a general date range on most of them.

So by that calculation, at least eight of them will date from 1180-1247, which gives us something to work from.

I'll probably print up some flips for David to give these away in.

Thanks again.

If anybody else has any further information (or corrections) to add, let's hear it, and thanks!