Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA 9 Rose RC at $148K on ebay.

Looks like a generous 9.
The Crisser

Comments

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    I have my popcorn ready for the psa 10 next month..... Make the 16k 8's look like a steal.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am thinking those 16k 8's won't be 16k for very long.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    820 watchers.... New record?? I've never seen this many. Wow!!

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mantle 8 was over 2,200

Higher prices = more interest
  • Options
    2,200 that's crazy..... Your right. I think the most I've had was 50 lol
  • Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1963-T...7b4:g:lukAAOSwbYZXbHCZ

I'm putting a new rule in place: effective immediately, whenever you (ie anyone) start a thread referring to an ebay listing please post a link to said listing in your original post so others can see exactly what you're talking about without having to look for it!!image
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    It would not come as a surprise to me if one of the two "bidders" is the one who consigned the Rose PSA 10 for the Heritage sale in August.

Dave
  • Options
    3BoyzTrading3BoyzTrading Posts: 798 ✭✭
    I don't get it....

Completed:

1963 Topps #537 Rookie Stars Pete Rose RC PSA 9 MINT
    July 03, 2016 07:28:34 pm PDT

$150001.00

1963 TOPPS #537 PETE ROSE (PSA-9) "MINT" SUPER HIGH END RARE
    April 23, 2016 07:52:25 pm PDT

$35000.00

1963 TOPPS #537 PETE ROSE RC PSA 9 MINT
    May 07, 2016 08:34:14 pm PDT

$28900.00
  • Options
    fleet47fleet47 Posts: 78 ✭✭
    Up 5x in several months. So what is the PSA10 worth?
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the upcoming sale of the PSA 10 is what is pulling the PSA 8's and 9's up along with the lower grades. Personally the 8.5 that sold was much nicer than the 9 which had a tilt issue as well as print marks. Interesting to see where the PSA 10 lands as well as the impact on the other grades.
  • Options
    lseeconlseecon Posts: 318 ✭✭
    How a card could suddenly appear to increase $100,000 in a month...

Owner of HOF rookie card PSA 8/ PSA 9 (insert name of valuable card): Call to ebay auctionhouse/consignor (insert name here). Sirs, I have a very elite card I would like to have you auction off for me. It will generate quite a bit of buzz in the hobby.
    Auctionhouse: What card is it?
    Owner of HOF rookie card: Its a ( insert card-Clemente, Mantle, Rose, Mays, etc). Can you give me a screaming deal on commission? It would generate a lot of good advertising for your auctionhouse, buzz, etc.
    Auctionhouse: Hmm.. Ok, yes, that could be good for my business. Normally I would charge X%. But in your case, I will list it for "free" or at a very reduced commission rate.
    Owner of HOF rookie card: Thats great. Look forward to sending more business your way if this card sells for a nice amount.
    Owner of HOF rookie card: Call to two best collecting "buddies". Hey, I am listing my (insert name of high end HOF rookie) card in the upcoming (insert name of auction house) auction. It would be great if the two of you could bid this way up. Obviously if you win it, I will buy it back from you at same price as always, but would be good for value of the rest of our collections if you could get the price up from $30,000 last sale to $150,000 this time.
    Collecting buddies: Sure, we will bid it up to (insert dollar amount). And maybe we even induce some rich sucker(s) to top us or join in the bidding like they have on numerous occasions and said rich suckers end up winning the card for (insert dollar amount) exorbitant amount. Its a no lose proposition for all of us. Even if we cant induce some rich suckers to outbid us, maybe we retract our bids at the end and the auction house offers the card to the rich sucker at the previous high bid he/she had in for the card.

Is this whats going on? I dont know, but it sure wouldnt surprise me. A group of 4-5 financially backed owners/flippers of high end sports cards could easily pull this off over the course of 2-5 months.

I am sure many of the recent high dollar HOF rookie card sales are legitimate sales, but many others just cant be legitimate. There is no way certain cards suddenly increase by tens of thousands or more from one month to the next without some funny business going on.
  • Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    Inertia is obviously not one of their vocabulary words.
  • Options
    Happy 4th

• Options
    Are you serious? The underbidder (feedback of 40) has 8 bid retractions in the past 6 months. If the winner is legitimate and reading this thread get your money back now.
  • Options
    I'm actually more curious about the rabbit who hadn't much success bidding big bucks on a baseball card, but pulled off a major score in the Tops & Blouses category.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    'there could be as few as 10...or as many as 30 collectors chasing these cards'

If PWCC was willing to openly admit there is a few as ten, my guess is 3-5. Also, I suspect he knows exactly how many there are, as he is shipping the cards to the same places. If the money is passed around in a circle with 0 commissions paid, it might even be legal. My guess is the ebay fees are a very cheap form of advertising.

Except for that possible occasional rich sucker using last vcp as his top bid, but didn't have the forthought to see the last sale, was in fact, the same card.

People say high prices and buzz are good for the hobby, but what happened after the craze on the late 80s? I suspect the collectors left with a bad taste in their mouths.

I plan on sending a few cards for consignment, and when they don't have record breaking prices, or bidders with numerous retractions, feel free to say this post was 'sour grapes'
  • Options
    Originally posted by: lseecon
    How a card could suddenly appear to increase $100,000 in a month...

Owner of HOF rookie card PSA 8/ PSA 9 (insert name of valuable card): Call to ebay auctionhouse/consignor (insert name here). Sirs, I have a very elite card I would like to have you auction off for me. It will generate quite a bit of buzz in the hobby.
    Auctionhouse: What card is it?
    Owner of HOF rookie card: Its a ( insert card-Clemente, Mantle, Rose, Mays, etc). Can you give me a screaming deal on commission? It would generate a lot of good advertising for your auctionhouse, buzz, etc.
    Auctionhouse: Hmm.. Ok, yes, that could be good for my business. Normally I would charge X%. But in your case, I will list it for "free" or at a very reduced commission rate.
    Owner of HOF rookie card: Thats great. Look forward to sending more business your way if this card sells for a nice amount.
    Owner of HOF rookie card: Call to two best collecting "buddies". Hey, I am listing my (insert name of high end HOF rookie) card in the upcoming (insert name of auction house) auction. It would be great if the two of you could bid this way up. Obviously if you win it, I will buy it back from you at same price as always, but would be good for value of the rest of our collections if you could get the price up from $30,000 last sale to $150,000 this time.
    Collecting buddies: Sure, we will bid it up to (insert dollar amount). And maybe we even induce some rich sucker(s) to top us or join in the bidding like they have on numerous occasions and said rich suckers end up winning the card for (insert dollar amount) exorbitant amount. Its a no lose proposition for all of us. Even if we cant induce some rich suckers to outbid us, maybe we retract our bids at the end and the auction house offers the card to the rich sucker at the previous high bid he/she had in for the card.

Is this whats going on? I dont know, but it sure wouldnt surprise me. A group of 4-5 financially backed owners/flippers of high end sports cards could easily pull this off over the course of 2-5 months.

I am sure many of the recent high dollar HOF rookie card sales are legitimate sales, but many others just cant be legitimate. There is no way certain cards suddenly increase by tens of thousands or more from one month to the next without some funny business going on.

I just can't fathom someone who is rich throwing money away like this. That's not how they got there. I've been in a room full of millionaires for a charity event and they donated the same things a regular person would. The only explanation for me is the PSA 10 theory. Toss in the max amount in eBay fees of five hundred bucks and that's my explanation.

• Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    ^ LOL
    Nate

BST References:

DanBessette, lwehlers, Lee17, 07diedrt
  • Options
    ^LOL
  • Options
    ^LLAMA
  • Options
    Any thoughts on the underbidder with all the bid retractions? Why isn't there more outrage over this?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: MantlesMantra

Any thoughts on the underbidder with all the bid retractions? Why isn't there more outrage over this?

FIDDLESTICKS!!!!!!!
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: KendallCat
    I think the upcoming sale of the PSA 10 is what is pulling the PSA 8's and 9's up along with the lower grades. Personally the 8.5 that sold was much nicer than the 9 which had a tilt issue as well as print marks. Interesting to see where the PSA 10 lands as well as the impact on the other grades.

I agree wholeheartedly. As much as I appreciate the "buy the card, not the holder" philosophy, what that sticker says means everything financially.

What's interesting to me is PSA's role in this incredible market surge. The reality is that when a grader bumps a Rose RC from 8.5 to 9, he just made the owner of that card $100,000 +, and the that is probably as much or more money than that grader makes in a year. PSA's power and place in the market is stronger than ever. The Ryan RC that was bumped from a 9 to a 10 making it a Pop 1 made the owner of that card how much dough? Point being that I'd love to hear from PSA what controls are in place internally to make sure graders continue to judge the card objectively and without anything to gain. I realize this is a PSA board and this is not meant as an attack, but more of a question that I think is worth addressing as we see these incredible prices being paid for PSA graded iconic cards.
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    3BoyzTrading3BoyzTrading Posts: 798 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: MantlesMantra

Just another millionaire with bidder's remorse.