Newp: SICULO-PUNIC Tetradrachm

ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
Getting error 113 - yet posted ATS - LINK

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huh. I tried to repost it for you, but got Error 113 myself. image

Great addition! Lovely, lovely, lovely. imageimage

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    This 113 is a random walk for me. I don't understand why PCGS doesn't get this fixed.
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For Zohar:

SICULO-PUNIC. Lilybaion (as Ras Melqart or ‘Cape of Melkart’), Ca. 350–300 BC. AR Tetradrachm. 17.09gr. Obv: Charioteer holding kentron in right hand and reins in left, driving fast quadriga left, leaning forward, horses fairly level, Nike above, flying right to crown driver with wreath held in both hands, Punic legend "rsmlqrt" in exergue. Rev: Head of Persephone right, wreathed with grain leaves, wearing triple-pendant earring and pearl necklace, four dolphins around. Jenkins, SNR 50 (1971), 46 (16/35). NGC Ch XF 5/5, 5/5.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    ahopewell55ahopewell55 Posts: 276 ✭✭
    Very nice. Hard to find in that condition.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, EVP- what did you do that Z and I didn't?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    A stunning coin, Sicily had it going on in this era.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats a beauty!
  • Options
    I wonder if NCS can improve the obverse as there seem to be some greenery around the horse's legs. I recently sent them a coin and they really did a good job.
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Doesn't look imho as a Lilybaion (Carthago territory )struck Tetradrachm and I cant see rsmlqrt in the exergue , looks like a Syracuse struck Tetra with Arethusa waternymph with her dolphins pictured ,certainly not Persephone which was an agriculture goddess.
    if it is Siculo Punic, its the goddess Kore pictured
    the reverse is typical greek, a quadriga with Niké above
    makes it a Greek Magna - Sicily coin -eighterway its a beautifull coin, congrats Zohar.
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    I am no expert other than what I see in archives and what the NGC holder states. LINK1 in hand you see the edge of the "rsmlqrt" lettering at the bottom. It's cutoff.

• Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    The coin is properly described. The style is correct for the issue, and you can see the top of the Punic legend in the exergue of the obverse.

A Syracuse tetradrachm would also typically have the SURAKOSIWN ethnic on the reverse, which this specimen lacks.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    OK, if you see it both , its 2- 1 , Zohar the LINK1 says its Arethusa not Persephone.
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    Andres - How can you tell the difference Arethusa and Persephone? There seems to be inconsistency in these descriptions.

LINK1

LINK2

LINK3
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Link 2 doesn't work.
    Like link 3 with Tanit - Kore and Persephone , they forgot Arethusa image
    For me its Kore (Carthago) or Arethusa (Greek) when there are 2 - 3 or 4 Dolphins around the head.
  • Options
    Good info Andres. Thanks for this.
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lordmarcovan
    OK, EVP- what did you do that Z and I didn't?

Nothing special. Possibly operator error (unlikely since two had same issue), or transient issue, or something quirky. I'd have to look up error code 113 to maybe have better idea. Truth is that I don't want to play IT guy in my spare time.

Btw, cool coin.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com