Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question re submitting a gold 2016 merc to PCGS

I just got my gold merc and want to send it in for grading. I'm well before the "first strike" cutoff (please, no comments on the silliness of this designation), so I don't need to send it in the unopened mint package.

Will I have any problem with PCGS if I simply remove the coin from the box and leave it in the plastic holder rather than placing it in a mylar flip? I'd rather leave it in the plastic to avoid any chance of scratches from the flip's pocket edges, or any handling problems by the higher risk handler (me). Seems to me they ought to accept it given there's no difference in their handling than if I'd sent in the unopened mint box.

Comments

• Options
    Originally posted by: donthehill
    I just got my gold merc and want to send it in for grading. I'm well before the "first strike" cutoff (please, no comments on the silliness of this designation), so I don't need to send it in the unopened mint package.

Will I have any problem with PCGS if I simply remove the coin from the box and leave it in the plastic holder rather than placing it in a mylar flip? I'd rather leave it in the plastic to avoid any chance of scratches from the flip's pocket edges, or any handling problems by the higher risk handler (me). Seems to me they ought to accept it given there's no difference in their handling than if I'd sent in the unopened mint box.

In the capsule is fine.
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had the same question and called PCGS Customer Service and they told me that I could send them in without removing them from the capsules. I did place them in a mylar flip just to keep track of them and put the submission number sticker on the flip per their submission guidelines. It was my first submission so hopefully all will go OK.

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: JCLIGHTBRIGADE

Originally posted by: donthehill

In the capsule is fine.

The mint capsule is the best way. Remember to make a note on the submission form for PCGS to return the capsule.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file