Home U.S. Coin Forum

Stacks Bowers Rarity Auction tonight

RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
I am trying but can't get the video. Anybody having problems or is it ok for you?
Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.

Comments

• jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    Their server had some connection issues. I got disconnected a few times and missed to bid a lot that I want image
    Overall, price isn't strong, nonetheless, it is better than morning section. Many coins in the morning section went very low and I don't think they are dogs.
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't go there anymore.......for obvious reasons!
  • TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know about the prices as the coins I looked at appear to go reasonably strong. I did view live and after fixing some Browser blockage issues, it appeared to work quite well. I'll be there in person tomorrow. I hope they did not have major problems. I am very optimistic about Stack's new technology and, so far, I have been very happy with it.

Tom

• RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Went to Firefox and it worked very well. Like their new set up.

Had problems with old IE version, need to check out why that did not work.
    Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • AblinkyAblinky Posts: 625 ✭✭✭
    I watched both the morning session for medals were I bid unsuccessfully, and then watched some of the Rarities Sale this evening. The new platform seems fine, the audio was a bit glitchy at times, but that's nothing major.

Andrew Blinkiewicz-Heritage

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some sites work well with Firefox, others with IE. I would rather use one or the other exclusively, but, eh, what's a couple of MB of storage to keep 'em both? No luck with my bids at SB (Firefox)...yet.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭
    I tried to bid live in this morning's auction. I hit the bid button. Instead of executing my bid immediately, I was asked to hit the button again to confirm my bid. I hit the button again right away. Due to lag time or some other issue, the lot was sold to another bidder for less than my bid.
  • Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had placed a number of bids, nothing too high as the wife and I are looking at buying a new property and Id rather see the funds go towards that. Not to say I would place an opportunistic bid if I saw a decent flip item.
  • GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had what I thought was too aggressive of a bid on a nice coin. Two other people wanted it more and made my bid look weak
  • AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

Gazes: "I had what I thought was too aggressive of a bid on a nice coin. Two other people wanted it more and made my bid look weak ."

I spent considerable time analyzing the results of the SBG Rarities Night event on 03/31. Although it was not the best Rarities Night event that SBG has ever conducted, the auction went well. Many coins brought retail prices.

Market Realities & Strong Prices Realized in Rarities Night Auction

"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Analyst

Gazes: "I had what I thought was too aggressive of a bid on a nice coin. Two other people wanted it more and made my bid look weak ."

I spent considerable time analyzing the results of the SBG Rarities Night event on 03/31. Although it was not the best Rarities Night event that SBG has ever conducted, the auction went well. Many coins brought retail prices.

Market Realities & Strong Prices Realized in Rarities Night Auction

Terrific article. Thank you. By the way, a dealer I respect said the coin I bid on was very nice but he thought it went for too much. Made me feel better about my max bid
  • Rayman311Rayman311 Posts: 423 ✭✭✭
    Thank you for sharing the article.

I got the one I really wanted but at my max bid.
  • AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

Gazes: "By the way, a dealer I respect said the coin I bid on was very nice but he thought it went for too much. Made me feel better about my max bid "

Well, what constitutes too much depends in part on how much a collector-bidder likes a particular coin and how difficult it would be to find another that would serve the same purpose within a collection. There are many stunning Proof Barber Quarters, for example, so someone seeking just one for a type set should not get involved in a bidding war. In almost every major auction, there are attractive, naturally toned Proof Barber Quarters.

An attractive and relatively original survivor of a Dahlonega Mint issue is a whole different matter. Maybe it should sell for a premium over prevailing levels for artificially brightened coins of the same date and certified grade.

Rayman: "I got the one I really wanted but at my max bid."

How did you figure your maximum bid? Do you figure your bids such that they are in the middle of a retail price range for each respective coin?

What are Auction Prices?

insightful10@gmail.com

"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file