Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does anyone here know if Max Meil ever painted numbers on his coins that were part of a collection?

RealoneRealone Posts: 18,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
that he put in his famous auctions to keep track of them or differentiate them from other similar examples?

Comments

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am aware that a few collectors did this, typically before 1900. Why would a 20th-century dealer do this--wouldn't this be a turn-off as far as many auction bidders are concerned?
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    A small number of collectors did this too. Unfortunately, the inks used then were acidic and this etched the coins. I see early coins with old inventory numbers once in a blue moon. Way back when, some collectors would mark just about anything they purchased---paintings, books, antiquities, etc.

• Options
    I have seen some inventory numbers that were attributed to various aristocratic European collectors. As you indicated, it is also a practice common in the museum world (but not considered acceptable today). There were institutional collections in the U. S. that were deaccessioned and sold at auction, but I don't recall seeing specific pieces being marked. CRO might be able to comment on this.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    B. Max Mehl?

I recall a nice original group (4-6) of choice unc 1859-s halves in the Feb. 2015 S/B Americana sale. Several of those had large inked marks which apparently were inventory #'s. The marks did distract a bit and probably lowered their grades a few tenths of a point. It's fortunate this mini-hoard didn't run into the dipping machine of the 1970's to 2000's. Then again, some of these still might get dipped out in an attempted act of "arbitrage."

1859-s half with "IV" on reverse?

Another
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've heard that Farouk did.
  • Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually the "67" is the grade. That's how they slabbed coins before plastic was invented. image
    Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a colonial with a number painted on it. Unfortunately it's in the SDB and I don't recall what it was. It's my understanding is the same as Sonorandesertrat, that before the turn of the century collectors would paint the attribution numbers on their coins. There were a few books listing varieties of colonials published at that time. I, however, have never heard of Mehl doing so. Post this question ATS. I believe Mark Feld is a semi-distant relative of Mehl so he might know. Plus, just in general, he knows a lot.
    Mark

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Sonorandesertrat
    A small number of collectors did this too. Unfortunately, the inks used then were acidic and this etched the coins. I see early coins with old inventory numbers once in a blue moon. Way back when, some collectors would mark just about anything they purchased---paintings, books, antiquities, etc.

So, I'm presuming that while acceptable back then, today those coins would NG/BB?

Cheers

Bob
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a older cataloging inventory number from an era when collectors only had coin cabinets with trays as a means of storage.

Mehl was not painting numbers with oil paint on coins as this was a practice done long before he was in business.

This was done prior to the turn of the century as by Mehl's era envelopes where used for notations.

They are historic and removing would leave a bright spot where the number was.

Both PCGS & NGC have straight graded examples like this.

NGC does not mention anything on the label, whereas PCGS calls them museum numbers.

Below is a NGC graded example with the Lyman Low L-62 variety number painted in the field.

If you want to see a PCGS straight graded example Chris McCawley usually has a few numbered large cents at his show tables.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe it's usually India ink, not paint.
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Broadstruck

I guess that answers MY question.

Cheers

Bob

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file