Home U.S. Coin Forum

Question about bidding in Baltimore

There are a few items coming up that I would like to own. The internet bids they are taking now are all before the item is actually on the block.

Will it also allow me to place "live" internet bid when the auction begins?

Comments

• TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes you can bid live - but it is very dangerous

First you have to register to bid

Then just go online when the items you are interested in come up for bid.

You can watch the video as the lots come up.

It is very quick though and you'll see a button with the value of the next current bid. There is some latency on the Internet and what you see and what you are bidding on when you click can change.

When you see [$500] and click on the button there may have been two floor bidders and another Internet bidder who have placed bids and your click may be for [$900]

Live Internet bidding has cost me money before. I've clicked on the bid button when it displayed what I wanted to bid, then I see the history scroll up with other bidders and then showing me as the high bidder hundreds of dollars above what I saw when I clicked.

I found it's best to wait until they start to call it before clicking when things have slowed down. If it has already gone past what you wanted to bid your OK but the update latency can make you bid more than you want when bidding is going fast.

This is a screen shot from a Pogue auction (where I got outbid)
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bid your maximum on the Internet bid and sit back and watch the madness. It is very easy to get caught up in the live auction and like TO mentioned earlier, there can be a pause on your end as being a live bidder online.

Have fun!
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, can be dangerous. I have often got excited in the the thrill and bidded more that I typically wanted too in the heat of the moment. Luckily , In most cases, still got outbid, but the few I won paid way more than I wanted too.

Now on the floor, I seem to stay firm and not be enticed to bid higher than I wanted too, just something about sitting at home on the computer

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file