Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How to get a European online purchased coin out of a customs hold

Have a coin from a German dealer sent through New York
and Customs has had a hold on it for 6 weeks. no tracking movement
USPS inquiry says its in customs under DHS control.
Customs Phone number is overwhelmed with callers.

Anyone face this , if so how did you handle it?

Krueger

Comments

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had a few stay there for a couple weeks. About half of them show up without tracking saying they left New York customs. One got sent to a small town in upstate New York twice - the postmaster sent it in a USPS envelope to me. The barcodes from there mess up the USPS barcode system. Mine have always been in the $20 to $120 range.

I never did anything and they showed up.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What type of coin?

Is it a German coin or is it something that may have a problem if it were from one of the countries/dates that are considered more of a "non-export" type of thing?

I know people were worried about that scenario a few years ago (doesn't affect me since I only do US coins, so I don't know where it all stands these days)

Hopefully, it is just sitting around some lazy person's desk and they will get to it soon and you will get it soon as well.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it is of significant monetary value, a call to your Congress critter might work. They seem to do better work on personalized minutia as compared to tackling major issues in the Chambers. They do like to feel like heroes when they can throw their weight around with other gummint bureaucracies.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My shipments through customs have all moved quite smoothly....just received a coin from Russia...total time of shipment = 9 days....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have not had anything stuck that long, but I did have one package stuck for about a month. It did eventually make it to me. You may want to ask on the world coin forum, as the collectors there are more frequent buyers of European material.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to say and hope it arrives... But at the 30 day mark I'd consider it lost.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    interesting ....
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 805 ✭✭✭
    Still no coin. German dealer opeNing an inquiry.
    Coin is an El Salvador peso. Not exactly a security threat.
    Should be able to xray it or open it
    and send it along.
    Problem here is not usps but DHS they are not
    A mail service. Bummer!
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    EEK is all I can say, I have purchased some high four figure coins from Britain that arrived with no issues.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    if this had been an ebay purchase im sure the buyer could open an "item not received" case and paypal would be happy to refund the payment
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file