Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Mexico 1959 10 Peso Gold Coin Question KM-473 or Re-Strike

What is the visual difference between a Mexico 1959 10 Peso gold coin KM-473 and a Re-Strike from the same year? Can you see a visual difference? What do I need to look for to determine between one or the other? Thank's
Taylor Made .

Comments

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Slightly OT, but there was an earlier thread about the 20 P restrikes. Unfortunately no one could offer diagnostics, altho at least some TPG holders seem to distinguish them. I'd love to know the difference, if there is anything definitive...

https://forums.collectors.com/...=6&threadid=523060
    Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read @ the TAXFREEGOLD site that it is almost impossible to tell the true 59's from
    the restrike of 1961 to 1972, however there should be a way if the TPG can distinguish
    them..............This is an excellent question and I am curious as well.

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    About 10 years ago, SilverEagle82 was looking for info on the 20 Pesos restrikes and below is the info he received when he reached out to NGC. I would assume the 10 Pesos restrikes also used the original dies, so doubt you can tell them apart.

Everyone,

For future reference here's the answer from Mr. Turner @ NGC:

"There is no way to tell the difference between an “Original” and a “Restrike”. They continued using the dies they struck the “Original” coins to strike the restrike pieces in continuing years. NGC will certify all 1959 Mexico Gold 20 Pesos as Restrike."

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Too bad - after all who wouldn't want to find they have the "rare" original strike - but makes sense. In addition to the OP, I too had wondered about this a long time so thanks for the update TwoKopeiki!

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always thought the 59s were all restrikes from the teens and twenties. Mostly the 50 and 20 peso......not sure about the 10 peso. Could be wrong. When I see 1959 on Mexico gold I think "melt" ish....