Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Do you ever wonder if certain cards exist or not? ETA: MY WHITE WHALE LANDED!

maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 28, 2019 3:03PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
The term "white whale" has been used before and that infers that one has at least seen that whale in some form along the way. I have been searching for one of my "white whales" for quite some time, searching the seas high and low and even into treacherous waters, i.e. Beckett Marketplace, to no avail. I have never seen this white whale, a 1993 Lykes Braves Standard Greg Maddux for sale or even a picture of its existence. The Standard Catalog lists it as #20 in the set of 38, though that is all I have to go on. There was a perforated set produced as 1 sheet along with a standard card that has a blue background in which 3 cards were given to kids on Tuesday home games. Is anyone in the same boat where it has driven you as mad as Captain Ahab?

Comments

• Options
    Yup. My current white whale is only myth to me. Some people have told me they've seen it, but I've never even seen a photo.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    These are all listed in the SCD Standard Catalog but I have not seen one
    62 Topps stamp of Sievers with KC team, not Phils
    67 Topps Punch Outs--Campaneris/Gibson/Grote/McMillan/ B Robinson
    68 Topps Plaqs--Peters/F Robinson/ Drysdale/ Aaron/ Mays (maybe one)
    02 Topps 160 Pujols with actual picture and no cap on back

Rumor only-- Topps 1959 Bill White without trade line
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options

Searching for something such as that could drive anybody mad! I can only imagine somebody searching through countless dollar boxes at shows hoping to find one. image
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    In the autographed card world, it's a constant wonder. And then when you do find out one exists it's a crazy novelty.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: VitoCo1972

In the autographed card world, it's a constant wonder. And then when you do find out one exists it's a crazy novelty.

Yeah, I'm not deep into autographs like you or Casey, but I do find that aspect of it fascinating.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    1998 Upper Deck Eminent Prestige Jumbos. Never seen one of any player? Was a mail in redemption..
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Ashland Oil Grand Slam Baseball - Maloney
  • Options
    Since Casey brought up hard to find autos, here is one I have. Only certified copy on record of any of the big 3, none certified of his 1950 Bowman. Notre Dame legend who started all 4 years, never missed a game or lost a game. Unfortunately, his college career didn't translate to the professional level.

• Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DanBessette

Yup. My current white whale is only myth to me. Some people have told me they've seen it, but I've never even seen a photo.

Is this still your white whale Dan?

I don't own the card. Found the image online. It sold at auction several years ago.

• Options
    Yes, holy crap, that's it!

I swear, I've googled it a hundred times. Thanks for the pic!

I also had no idea Til I saw that pic that they misspelled Cappelletti's name.

Thanks again!
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Signed set world...we can only hope that the cards exist we need for completion. Other years and brands might havesurface, but to find that one obscure guy on a certain year and brand can drive you crazy!
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Great jobs Mullins5, that's what makes this community such a valuable part of collecting!
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I collect everything from Tim Rattay's 2000 rookie season. In almost 16 years of daily searches on eBay I have yet to see any of the following

2000 ultra platinum medallion
    2000 sp authentic signatures gold /13
    2000 fleer autographix gold
    2000 leaf certified gold (not the promo)

Not super rare 1/1s. Found a few of those, but none of these
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: bishop
    These are all listed in the SCD Standard Catalog but I have not seen one
    62 Topps stamp of Sievers with KC team, not Phils
    67 Topps Punch Outs--Campaneris/Gibson/Grote/McMillan/ B Robinson
    68 Topps Plaqs--Peters/F Robinson/ Drysdale/ Aaron/ Mays (maybe one)
    02 Topps 160 Pujols with actual picture and no cap on back

Al,

I thought that the 1967 Topps Punchout Bob Gibson was ruled out and does not exist. I may be wrong, but I thought it was a consensus that it does not exist. One thing is for certain....I surely hope it doesn't exist!

As for the 2002 Topps #160 Albert Pujols with Pujols pictured on the back instead of Placido Polanco... I do not believe that one exists either. I believe it only exists on the Chrome and the Chrome Refractor. I have both and the picture is corrected on both of those cards. But on the regular base card, the picture on the back is Polanco and I don't think it was ever corrected. If I am wrong on this, then I need to go back to searching for one. I searched for a long time without finding one, and then it seems like someone, or some people, somewhere, at some point in time agreed with me that one does not exist. (That was vague, wasn't it?)

My white whale? A 2001 Topps Chrome Retrofractor #146 Fernando Tatis. This card is less than $5 and I have been looking for one for several years now.

Shane

• Options
    Tere1071Tere1071 Posts: 163 ✭✭
    Here's another one- the 2009 Topps Heritage variation of Derek Jeter with the Red Sox logo. I have seen two pictures and one came up for auction about three years ago which sold for $200. I have yet to see one on eBay and wonder if it's a case of it being held onto, or if it's truly an SSP. It's one of the four variations I need in 2009 for me to have a master set plus each of the variations. If anyone has one for sale...
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Shane-- I do not think any of the cards in my above list exist, but was following up on OP's point about looking for cards listed by SCD or Beckett as existing in their published checklists. I have a 62 Stamp set, 67 Punch Out set and 68 Plaq set, so I, like you, hope they do not exist

If it helps any, I will agree with you on the 2002 base Pujols. image
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    The Topps '62 stamp, '67 punch-outs and '68 plaques that Al mentioned were removed from the listings in the Standard Catalog a few editions back, though the set intro to the '62 stamps still erroneously mentions the Sievers - A's.

• Options
    Finding cards that I think exist but am not sure do is one of the most enjoyable parts of the hobby for me.

Dan: now you can make "WANTED: DEAD OR ALIVE" posters to pass around at the Mansfield Show. You've got your target.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: bishop
    Shane-- I do not think any of the cards in my above list exist, but was following up on OP's point about looking for cards listed by SCD or Beckett as existing in their published checklists. I have a 62 Stamp set, 67 Punch Out set and 68 Plaq set, so I, like you, hope they do not exist

If it helps any, I will agree with you on the 2002 base Pujols. image

I must have misunderstood. I thought you were still thinking that they may exist. Glad we are on the same page! Yes, that makes me feel better!

Shane

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I've been looking for a few '09 and '10 Heritage ad panels for years- they are supposed to exist, but no one has seen them and they don't pop up. And no one seems to care much about that subset, so I'll keep looking but increasingly doubt I'll find anything.
    I'm also looking for '48 and '49 Bowman baseball packs. I know of at least one '49, but no idea if the '48 exists. PSA hasn't graded one and GAI never was organized enough to have a pop report.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    There are a handful of cards I am not sure that were ever produced for sets I am building ....
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations! Great card!

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,210 ✭✭✭✭✭

SWEET!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats!!!!

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome! I love theses kinds of tuffys.

Andy

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice!!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

Awesome. Congrats!

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options

@bobsbbcards said:
    Ashland Oil Grand Slam Baseball - Maloney

At least one exists

• Options

Thank you all! It was part of a lot that included many Greg Maddux rarities, many of which I haven't seen before. I may have to start a new thread to document some of it as I am sure many Braves and Cubs collectors will find interesting, such as a 1987 Kodak/WGN Radio Photo Day Premium.

• Options

If someone has proof that a 1972 Topps Venezuelan Sticker #87 Jose Cardenal exists I would be most grateful. It would be the card that is missing in the upper right corner of this 1972 sticker album.

• Options

@MLBdays said:
    @1963ellsworth22and10 ...I have the last copy in existence .. paypal me 2.2 million. I know its hefty but ~Free shipping!

I'll PayPal you $20 for a scan :#

• Options

Mine is #223. Did they make 2?

@1963ellsworth22and10 said:

If someone has proof that a 1972 Topps Venezuelan Sticker #87 Jose Cardenal exists I would be most grateful. It would be the card that is missing in the upper right corner of this 1972 sticker album.

• Options

@Zoot66 said:
    Mine is #223. Did they make 2?

You are thinking of this Winter League card, the card I am looking for would have green borders and have CACHORROS (CUBS) printed at the top.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow - congratulations Jason!

Is Lykes a meat company or something?

Mike
  • Options

@Stone193 said:
    Wow - congratulations Jason!

Is Lykes a meat company or something?

Thank you! They are a regional company and were the official hot dog of the Braves at the time. The Braves switched over to Bryan around 96 or so and they began supplying promotional cards from the fans.