Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

French Medal - Louis XIII / Façade of the Louvre by Pierre Regnier

Louis XIII / Façade of the Louvre

by Pierre Regnier, 1624

Bronze, 33.2 mm Ø, 20.6 g

Obverse: Laureate bust of Louis XIII facing right. Around, · LVD · XIII · D · G · FRANCORVM · ET · NAVARÆ · REX · (Louis XIII, by the Grace of God, King of the French and Navarre).

Reverse: A portion of the façade of the Louvre. Around, · POSCEBANT HANC · FATA · MANVM · (Fate Demanded This Hand). In exergue, the date · 1624 · .

Foundation medal for an extension to the Louvre in Paris. Louis XIII laid the foundation stone for this extension in July of 1624. A number of these medals were buried under it as foundation deposits, while others were distributed. The extension, known later as the Pavillon de l'Horologe and more recently as the Pavillon Sully, was completed c. 1639-40.

References: Jones 95; Pollard (NGA) 655

Comments

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fascinating medal!

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a lovely medal.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Interesting, historic piece Joe. Gotta ask my usual question, is this contemporary or later and how can you tell?

Congrats either way and thanks for sharing.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: STLNATS
    Interesting, historic piece Joe. Gotta ask my usual question, is this contemporary or later and how can you tell?

I'll respond with my usual warning that "I don't know", but based on the strike quality, plain but slightly irregular edge, and beautiful patina, it feels like a contemporary or early strike. For what it's worth, the seller had it listed as being an "original", though of course we all know how much that really counts for.
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Iosephus

I'll respond with my usual warning that "I don't know", but based on the strike quality, plain but slightly irregular edge, and beautiful patina, it feels like a contemporary or early strike. For what it's worth, the seller had it listed as being an "original", though of course we all know how much that really counts for.

In future to save keystrokes, I'll just post "question 4" and you can respond with "answer 2" (yes LOL).

I noticed the irregular flan, lite wear on the obverse high points (hair) and no mention of an edge mark so figured it was not very recent. It's helpful to hear how you're looking these so I appreciate your thoughts.

As a sidebar, after reading the novel finally last year, I have been toying with the idea of putting together some of the coins/medals (I hesitate to use the term set) around the time of The Three Musketeers. There's a lot of coin references in the novel and since this is just a bit later it definitely caught my attention. There is a bunch of other stuff I'm already chasing so the urge has been resisted so far, but suspect I'll succumb at some point.

What fun!

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    In future to save keystrokes, I'll just post "question 4" and you can respond with "answer 2" (yes LOL).

I noticed the irregular flan, lite wear on the obverse high points (hair) and no mention of an edge mark so figured it was not very recent. It's helpful to hear how you're looking these so I appreciate your thoughts.

As a sidebar, after reading the novel finally last year, I have been toying with the idea of putting together some of the coins/medals (I hesitate to use the term set) around the time of The Three Musketeers. There's a lot of coin references in the novel and since this is just a bit later it definitely caught my attention. There is a bunch of other stuff I'm already chasing so the urge has been resisted so far, but suspect I'll succumb at some point.

What fun!

LOL!

Your idea for a themed "set" sounds very interesting, and I'd love to see any pieces you pick up if you do give in!