Home U.S. Coin Forum

1827 Bust Half (O-120) - Grade Opinions

KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
*Update: PCGS XF-45*

I started a New Topic a few days ago regarding the (What I found out to be) raised defect lines next to the date of this bust half. I had promised better obverse and reverse images, so here they are!

I figured I would post them in a new topic, and get your opinions on the grade.

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover

Comments

• BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭
    XF45, and much closer to AU50 than XF40.

A really outstanding, original coin. Thanks for sharing.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it as a 45
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    XF45
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    Awesome coin .... its an XF to me.

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭
    I think XF45 is a good bet, though XF40 if they're having a bad day.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If those are old scratches on the obverse at 7:00, it "could" net the grade 5 pts lower.

Agree that it's a nice original coin. At least 9/10 on the crust factor.

XF40.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    45 feels about right.

roadrunner, if you click on OP's link ("New Topic") you'll see a discussion about those raised die lines.

Lance.
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think XF45 is a good bet, though XF40 if they're having a bad day.

+1

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lkeigwin

45 feels about right.

roadrunner, if you click on OP's link ("New Topic") you'll see a discussion about those raised die lines.

Lance.

Thanks, I missed that. Interesting difference in photos of the same coin. Doesn't look as crusty in the other thread.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could well go XF45..... overall an nice looking coin. Cheers, RickO
  • KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the replies so far.

Thanks, I missed that. Interesting difference in photos of the same coin. Doesn't look as crusty in the other thread.

The images in this thread are much closer to the original colour and look of the coin in hand.

For the other image set, I had flooded the coin with light, much like you would for shooting a mint state morgan dollar. After a little experimenting with lighting position, I found that having my lights backed away from the coin, results in a more honest look for a circulated bust half.
    Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will go with 40.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a really solid EF-40. That's the way I love to see them. If I could find a date set of Bust half dollars like that, I'd be a buyer.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    xf 45, nice coin
  • COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solid xf45 nice looking coin
    New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a record to me...45 that is.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
    PCGS XF-45
  • BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭
    Well done!
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
    Thanks Brian. I was really happy with the results of the submission overall; Well worth the wait.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    45 seems appropriate

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file