Home U.S. Coin Forum

On my way to see TDN's 1794 $1

BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
Very cool exhibition traveling Europe right now and I am privileged to live in Dublin at present. I'm heading down to the Royal Dublin Society to see the 1794 SP$. Thanks TDN for making it available.

The Flowing Hair Tour

Comments

• msch1manmsch1man Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds fun...hope you'll post about it and let us know how it was.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome... The title "The Flowing Hair Tour" is funny image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds neat! Wish I had a chance to see it. PLease let us know about the experience.
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Must be a good website, because it is BLOCKED at work!

Be sure to take some images to share!
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool. I'm heading to London Monday to come see the last stop
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was a good exhibit and great to attend.

The other coins which they had on display to represent American coinage were all dipped or cleaned pieces across all the denominations. Only other criticism is that the lighting for the SP$ was diffuse vs. direct so I probably looked crazy craning my head trying to get the light right.

The Declaration of Independence was also very cool to see and you could get right up to it. Two pieces of amazing history. I took a few photos but I doubt they are worth posting.
  • RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome! Glad you got to see these two treasures!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    COOL!!!! When will it be on display in Aledo, TX??? Lol
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
    Boosibri, Did you get a chance to finger smudge up the whole slab along with some drool in hand image
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool I'd love to see this exhibit.
    I'd still like to see your pics even if they're bad.
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How was security at the exhibit?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Broadstruck

Boosibri, Did you get a chance to finger smudge up the whole slab along with some drool in hand image
    I wonder if it was like most of the silly special coin displays where you can't get close enough to the coin to even read the date and then you can only see one side. I recall a 1913 V Nickel displayed at FUN a couple of years ago. It could have been a fake, a plastic 3-D printed example or the date could have been 2013 instead of 1913 and no one would have known. image

It is nice that the owner has made this available to tour though. Props to TDN.

Not sure why it is touring Europe instead of the US...unless it will be for sale soon and this is part of the marketing to international buyers and maybe the US tour will come next? Sure would be cool. Lot viewing is always the BEST viewing when it comes to things like this though.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very COOL!

What an amazing piece(s) of History.

Would still like to see your pics.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

Originally posted by: MrEureka

How was security at the exhibit?
    I am curious as well. Any pics would be wecolmed, even if they are cell phone pics. It would at least give us some idea of the setup.

Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
    Originally posted by: keyman64

Originally posted by: Broadstruck

I wonder if it was like most of the silly special coin displays where you can't get close enough to the coin to even read the date and then you can only see one side. I recall a 1913 V Nickel displayed at FUN a couple of years ago. It could have been a fake, a plastic 3-D printed example or the date could have been 2013 instead of 1913 and no one would have known. image

It is nice that the owner has made this available to tour though. Props to TDN.

Not sure why it is touring Europe instead of the US...unless it will be for sale soon and this is part of the marketing to international buyers and maybe the US tour will come next? Sure would be cool. Lot viewing is always the BEST viewing when it comes to things like this though.

Yeah if you can't hold and inspect a coin on display in hand... It's like having lawn seats at a go-go bar image

• etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭
    A long read but well worth the time spent.

Thanks for posting and the linky.

Mike
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. That's a really cool display and sets the dollar where it should be: As one of the country's historic national treasures.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
    Thanks for posting the pics. That was the exact display scenario I was afraid of, it could have easily been a fake/3D printed model and no one would have known. Probably could not even read the date on the coin. Neat that you could see the Declaration of Independence though. With high end displays like this, it is not uncommon to display facsimiles. I'm not saying they are, I'm just saying that they could be and only the owners or exhibitors would know.
  • That's a great coin!
  • cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: keyman64
    Thanks for posting the pics. That was the exact display scenario I was afraid of, it could have easily been a fake/3D printed model and no one would have known. Probably could not even read the date on the coin. Neat that you could see the Declaration of Independence though. With high end displays like this, it is not uncommon to display facsimiles. I'm not saying they are, I'm just saying that they could be and only the owners or exhibitors would know.

I hear what you're saying, that the coin itself could have been a replica created for exhibit purposes only (such as museums typically did in the 19th century). That being said, as visible in the exhibit as the Declaration of Independence was, it was just a 200 year old printed copy -- not an original signed copy or even a later ink-transfer copy of the original.

Correct Cardinal on the DoI. Still valued at $4mm for a 1776 printed copy? Seemed like a rich valuation.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Truly a national treasure.... beautiful coin... very nice of TDN to put it on tour. Cheers, RickO
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be happy to get within 3 feet of that coin even with imperfect lighting. Hat's off to TDN for allowing it to "circulate" around the world.
  • hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool display and coin. Brings history to life.
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool!
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool exhibit! Thanks for sharing.
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    It looks like a great exhibit.
    I wonder who the opening act is? (Is it The Who?)
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Walkerfan
    Very COOL!

What an amazing piece(s) of History.

Would still like to see your pics.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: tradedollarnut

media interview

Nice Bruce!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pcgs has spent the bucks to build the same sort of case for the FUN display. Although the reaction in this thread didn't reflect it, in person you could get quite the good view of the coin with this display

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's two holders pcgs will have to crack

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file