Home U.S. Coin Forum

What percentage of the US "colonial" coin market is centered on the east coast?

291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
Being in the midwest I seldom see "colonials" offered or discussed. Is there interest in them outside of the areas in which they were originally circulated?
All glory is fleeting.

Comments

• Territorial gold here. So definitely a support for your suppositions.
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DeliaBug

Territorial gold here. So definitely a support for your suppositions.

What kind of gold ?

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    I am a member of the Trenton Numismatic Club in NJ and several of our members are collectors of colonials, some considered to be authorities on the subject. I guess this gives credence to the OP's theory.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭✭
    I have colonial customers all over the country in nearly every state (including Alaska and Hawaii), but it is safe to say that it is an east coast-centric specialty. If I had to put a percentage on it I'd say 65%.
  • NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    I as well have customers who collect colonials all over the country, but a majority do live in the North East. More recently I believe the number of collectors throughout the country has "evened" out a bit more.

This is certainly true with the C4 membership. When I first became a board member of C4 (8 years ago), 75% of the membership lived between Maine and Maryland.

Looking at the membership list today, it is much more spread out with 50% in the North East, and 50% in other states. California, Washington State and Illinois come immediately to mind where there has been a much larger membership interest in the past few years.
    New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't sell that many , certainly no where near the volume the two guys above do by any stretch, but the few I have sold on ebay all went to the north east.
  • ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are some collectors here in north central Texas...but being one of them the coins honestly don't have the same feel about them and there is not a ton of interest. I am a displaced semi New Englander so that is why I collect and appreciate them.

K
    ANA LM
  • There are a couple of Floridians out here collecting.

novacaesarea

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I lived in Seattle, there were a dedicated group of colonial copper collectors.... always visited their table at shows....they got a fair amount of traffic too....The larger shows there always had a few other tables with colonial copper. Cheers, RickO

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinRaritiesOnline said:
    I have colonial customers all over the country in nearly every state (including Alaska and Hawaii), but it is safe to say that it is an east coast-centric specialty. If I had to put a percentage on it I'd say 65%.

i know quite a few here that collect just the colonials. its neat to some of the things they got to. just saying

• mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

Some of the finest Colonials ever seen are being relocated to the mid west and the west :)

• Collectors from states that issued coins (or currency) collect those coins (or wish they did). :wink:

Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file