Home U.S. Coin Forum

PCGS Collectors Club and Luncheon Samples (Updated 9-9-23)

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 9, 2023 9:51AM in U.S. Coin Forum
I'm lacking information on the pops of slabs given out when more than one was issued at a show. I'm also missing a few. If you can help, it would be appreciated.

This thread will cover "samples" given out by PCGS to their "members". This includes the Collectors Club (CC) members and Registry members who have received rewards over the years in the form of Collectors Club, Registry or Luncheon samples.

PCGS samples are covered in other threads - the key search word being sample or samples. There is minimal overlap between these threads but some is inevitable.

I'm confident there are holes in this thread - if you have additional material that fits well here, please contact me.

These are the earliest samples given to members of the CC in 2001. The 4 states seen to date are NY, RI, Kentucky and Vermont. I've not seen key numbers in the limited edition come available but I can imagine that if 1/5000 came available, there would be strong bidding.

Here is an interesting variation shared with me by a friend with Rhode Island abbreviated RH rather than RI - this is one to keep an eye out for!

In 2002 PCGS became more generous and gave out a nice ASE. All are graded MS68 and there are a few out there with nice toning.

2003 was a repeat of 2002, an ASE graded MS68 with the flag label.

This from SampleSlabs.com: "These slabs were given out at a PCGS sponsored lunch at the May 2003 Long Beach show. PCGS Message board members were invited to attend and this slab was a special gift for all that attended. Only 40 were made and it has become one of the scarcest sample slabs made by PCGS." An example sold on ebay 4-17-21 along with 6 generic PCGS samples bringing $395. I have to assume the price was primarily for this slab as there wasn't much value in the other 6.

2004 was the last year of the regular ASE for the CC members, this time MS69 with a blue label resembling Generation 6. The 2001 in a CC 2004 slab is courtesy of Wingsrule.

There were no CC or Luncheon slabs given out in 2005. This from the 2006 Luncheon, an ASE - haven't seen too many but the ones I have seen have issues like the spots on this one.

This one given out at the FUN show January 2007.

There were 4 different Presidents featured in this Registry Luncheon slab from the Milwaukee summer ANA in 2007. It took me over 10 years to finally acquire the Adams, finally added 4-15-21.

At the 2008 FUN show, 4 different Presidential dollars were given out - Washington, Jefferson, Madison and Adams, the same Presidents as the 2007 ANA luncheon slabs. I don't know if the numbers of each were equal.

At the summer 2008 ANA in Baltimore, 4 more Presidents were featured. I don't know the pops of each - if you do, PM me.

Deja Vu all over again - 4 more Presidents at the Los Angeles Summer ANA in 2009.

For the 2010 FUN show, 4 slabs were given out featuring 4 different phases in the life of Abe Lincoln.

At the 2010 Boston ANA, 5 different slabs were given out featuring National Parks. I missed the show since I was boycotting the Larry Shepard "administration" and the war on collectors so had to try and reconstruct the set. Was missing only the Grand Canyon and finally found one in 2020 from a good Friend! Parks featured are Yellowstone, Mt. Hood, Yosemite, Hot Springs and Grand Canyon.

Single sample given out at the 2011 FUN show. Features a steel cent.

Sample from the 2011 Summer ANA in Chicago.

Sample from the 2012 FUN show to showcase PCGS's venture into grading world coins.

Another year with a single sample slab, this from the 2012 ANA Philadelphia show.

Another world coin given out at the 2013 FUN show, this one from Canada.

Luncheon slab from the 2013 summer ANA in Chicago.

1914 cent from the 2014 FUN show. Other than it being 100 years old, I don't recall any other special reason for PCGS selecting this coin. Features the newer slab with the Dupont reverse hologram.

Fun Luncheon slab from the 2014 summer ANA in Chicago featuring a low ball 25c - it would be interesting to see how long of a date run could be put together. A 1916-D was offered on ebay in March, 2021, obviously the latest date seen. It was so "Low Ball" that I just had to buy it (bottom picture). :D Added a 1908-O in late 2020.

Everglades theme for this Luncheon slab from the 2015 FUN show.

Another shield 1c for the Luncheon slab from the 2015 Chicago ANA. Now featuring a Generation 13 slab with the newer plastic and new reverse hologram. I'm guessing PCGS likes the shield 1c as it resembles their secure shield.

For the 2016 FUN show, PCGS began celebrating it's 30th year in business. All 4 denomination feature the 1986 date, the 1st year of PCGS's business. The number of slabs given out were 40 quarters, 50 dimes, 60 halves and 80 nickels, so only 40 complete sets are possible, fewer if you want to complete both a P and a D mintmark set. The P samples are scarcer, a 5c piece selling for $180 August 2019. Notice the 1983 date on the 50c piece - a small number of "error slabs" bear this date.

Here is a picture that includes the reverse of the 2016 FUN show slab. This one features a 1983 instead of the usual 1986 50c piece. As of 3-7-16, 3 have been reported.

Single Luncheon slab given out at the 2016 Anaheim ANA this year. It celebrates the 30th anniversary of PCGS. The same medal is used in non-luncheon slabs given to people who submit at least 25 coins for grading and to participants who download the PCGS apps and take a brief survey at the show.

Luncheon slab given out at the 2017 FUN show. Most have the D MM, a P version bringing $300 on ebay in Jan. 2017. By Feb., the D versions were bringing around $55.

Single luncheon slab given out at the Denver ANA features a CO quarter. So far all have had a D mintmark. Average turn out this year with 160 issued.

Single style given out at the 2018 FUN luncheon with a well worn 1918 Lincoln cent. The majority were D mintmark with scarce Philly cents and very few S mintmark coin appearing on ebay in the following months. Was finally able to add the 1918-S in 2020 thanks to a Friend.

Luncheon slab from the Philly ANA show featured a Franklin 50c piece, most were well worn, this one of the nicer ones. Most seen at the show and on ebay shortly afterwards were 1962 and 1963 dates with D MM. In Sept. 2019 a 1961-D was offered on ebay selling for $335! Seems PCGS missed the boat on this one - would have been nice reverse holdered with the bell upright since that is obviously why this coin was chosen with the liberty bell connection. On the other hand, maybe it WAS the Franklin connection with Philly....... Unusually low issue with only 100 given out - I'm told that late arrivals to the luncheon didn't get one!

Luncheon slabs from the January 2019 FUN show. 2 different coins, 1974-D and 1976 Type 2 Ikes. Keep your eye out for rare "varieties" as there will be a few out there with different grades and MM's ( I know - went through cert verification one by one...). :D Had some free time during the Covid quarantine and went through the cert's one more time. For the 1974 there is 1 P mintmark, the rest 74-D, 7 in MS64, 133 in MS65, 4 in MS 66. For the 1976, there are no D mintmarks, 32 in MS64, 80 in MS 65, no MS66's.

Luncheon slab from the 2019 ANA show featuring a Illinois quarter, 2003. There are both P and D mintmarks that have been seen so far, 200 P, 100 D. Don't expect any odd ball varieties unless a PCGS employee slipped a non-Illinois quarter into a slab or 2......

Luncheon slab from the 2020 FUN show. The majority of the 280 slabs given out are the 2004 quarter shown here (79 of them 2004-P, 160 2004-D), a minority 2014-P (40), no 2014-D quarters in the cert. verification at PCGS. Might be worth keeping an eye out for 2014-D's as PCGS historically seems to make 1 or 2 delicacies. :D

Registry award (luncheon) slab from the 2021 Summer ANA. After a long hiatus secondary to the Covid pandemic, to include cancellations of the 2020 ANA and 2021 FUN shows, the 2021 summer ANA show was held in Chicago. The medal in this slab celebrates the 35th anniversary of PCGS being in business. In searching the certificate verifications, it appears that 499 were made. Not sure how many were given out at the luncheon but expect more to be given out in the future, either at the submission table, members show or Long Beach. Interesting in that it doesn't mention "Luncheon" on the label. It looks like PCGS has moved to a single "luncheon" during the summer ANA, although they did have a cocktail party with slab at the 2023 FUN show.

Registry luncheon slab from the 2022 ANA. PCGS moved towards an annual ANA luncheon combined with the registry awards rather than a biannual luncheon. There were 2 coins given out, Sally Ride and Maya Angelou, 74 of each. I need a Ride if you have a spare!

Sample from the 2023 Set Registry Awards Celebration/Luncheon at the Sept. 2023 Long Beach show.
The Awards Luncheon was sparsely attended - actually felt sorry for award winners, set up in a corner of the hall rather than in a nice ballroom as in years past. This translates to a SMALL NUMBER of these being given out.
"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Comments

• bob48bob48 Posts: 449 ✭✭✭
    Very Nice report you have done.
    Bob

• WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭
    I think I have a picture of the 2004 CC slab that actually contains a 2001 ASE. I'll need to look.
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting and informative post.

I hope you get the info you're after and get to track down some of those elusive specimens.image

This is a BST purchase of mine, I wasn't a member in '02.

imageimage

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, very nice post and photos. Hope PCGS makes more "Low Ball" Luncheon slabs!

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good for you, Lakes, in doing something you enjoy like this.

I recall that blank time ~2005, as I took the family to FUN that year, and Disney, and I recall sitting at a table with HRH and QDB but nothing was given out (some great stories at the lunch table though...those guys have a lot of stories about the industry)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭
    As a Barber Quarter low ball collector, I really like the "Low Ball" Luncheon slab. Though that is definitely not meet my definition of Low Ball Set Registry Quality.
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bochiman - thanks for the confirmation - was wondering if some pieces existed from that time period or not. image

Though that is definitely not meet my definition of Low Ball Set Registry Quality.

Never thought I'd see "Low Ball" and "quality" in the same sentence! image

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭
    image.
  • TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I received an 1983D half at the Luncheon, I wonder how many of those were given out.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My half was also 1983. A pretty nice one, too.
    Wow - that makes 3 known of the 1983 50c piece. image
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool!
    Anyone have pics to share of the PCGS Luncheon slabs that are missing?? Sure would like to update this thread! image
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is the ANA Luncheon Slab.

WS

imageimage
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is the Washington slab from FUN 1/11/2008

imageimage
    Nice! Thanks for the last 2 posts! image

Have added the 2016 ANA Luncheon slab, 2007/2008 Washington slabs.

Now just missing the 2007 Adams and 2010 Grand Canyon. Anyone have those??
  • Ike1964Ike1964 Posts: 216 ✭✭✭

A 2001 Rhode Island quarter with "RH" on the label. A variety.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

A nice "sampling" of Luncheon and Collectors Club Slabs!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting that the sample slab you show from the 2003 Long Beach show actually has a cert number: 71041540

This is an 1880-S Morgan in MS61 when you look that number up.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053

Finally got the RH picture to upload - thanks for the reminder.

That serial number showed up sometime towards the end of the Gen. 6/7 period - very common serial number used on many different samples. That Morgan is in a registry set, IIRC!

• tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

I attended a "When To Sell Your Coins" seminar by Scott Travers at the January FUN show, was the first to answer a trivia question and was awarded a set of three PCGS Luncheon Lincolns, one each P, D and S. So they did encapsulate S mints. Here's a pic, not the best but I can send you the original if you PM me.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the info!

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck

Don't send me a picture - send me the coin/slab! :D I need the S version!

• tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wish I could send it to you. Sold it when I got home to help pay for the trip.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice collection... best of luck in filling the 'vacancies'.... Cheers, RickO

2018 ANA issue, only 100 given out, a low pop compared to other ANA Shows. If you see one with a date other than 1962 or 1963, please let me know.

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are all very nice. When combined with NGC and ANACS equivalents, they could make a very impressive exhibit.

• Ike1964Ike1964 Posts: 216 ✭✭✭

Are you going to add the 1974 and 1976 Ike Dollars?

Holy cow......thanks for the reminder! :D

Thanks again - updated today with the 2019 FUN show slabs. :+1:

It took almost 10 years but finally added the 2010 Grand Canyon Luncheon slab from the 2010 ANA, now illustrated. It was sent to me by a good Friend. He also helped me add a 2018-S from the 2018 FUN show.

Still missing a small number of Luncheon slabs - - if you have them, see my WTB in the BST forum. :+1:

Finally purchased a 2007 Adams Luncheon Slab - had been looking for one for over 10 years!

edited April 17, 2021 9:29AM

@Lakesammman said:
    Finally purchased a 2007 Adams Luncheon Slab - had been looking for one for over 10 years!

Wow, that's a very classy label! Congrats on completing a long search! :+1:

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2021 12:21PM

I would really like to get a Kennedy for my collection, so let the search begin.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

edited February 12, 2023 4:11PM

@Lakesammman said:

What's the story behind these? Why are they so rare?

@radioman has been looking since 2018! Of course, that's still far away from 10 years, so some more waiting may be in the cards.

Is anyone maintaining a registry or population for these?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/992523/wanted-to-buy-pcgs-luncheon-sample-slab-jefferson-pay-400#latest

• I am not aware of any census... perhaps @davidschwager has something. The back of the coin label says limited edition of 150, so presumably that is the max created; but obviously PCGS could have handed out way less. I want one if somebody finds a hoard. - Chris

Chris, USA Rarities

The problem is, there is no official census. The Jefferson, for example, there were 4 Presidents given out that luncheon, so if 150 were given out, divided by 4, there were 37.5 of each.

When considering other years, there's no assurance that things were split evenly - the Jefferson could be even rarer than that! Since there are no serial numbers, it makes accurate counts impossible. And, in correspondence with PCGS staff working at the time, they don't recall either.

@Lakesammman said:
    The problem is, there is no official census. The Jefferson, for example, there were 4 Presidents given out that luncheon, so if 150 were given out, divided by 4, there were 37.5 of each.

When considering other years, there's no assurance that things were split evenly - the Jefferson could be even rarer than that! Since there are no serial numbers, it makes accurate counts impossible. And, in correspondence with PCGS staff working at the time, they don't recall either.

These are good points.

I wonder what would be a good way to keep track of a census? Perhaps with photos?

Updated with the 2023 Long Beach Set Registry Luncheon (Celebration). Small buffet and open bar in a corner of the convention hall, sparsely attended.

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 9, 2023 4:09PM

@Zoins said:

@Lakesammman said:

These are good points.

I wonder what would be a good way to keep track of a census? Perhaps with photos?

Probe the PCGS database. Type in the cert# and see what pops up. Type in the next cert#. I do it all the time to establish populations for samples. HOWEVER, many times they just use ONE cert# and reuse it. Also for those where there is no cert#. For both of those you have to depend on the label count.

Oh, yeah, forgot to mention that # of pieces or edition count is something I'm added to the book.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")

Have done that in the past many times. Came back from the show with Covid and am just too tired to do it now!

@Lakesammman said:
    Have done that in the past many times. Came back from the show with Covid and am just too tired to do it now!

Sorry to hear that! Hope it's mild and you recover soon!

• lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

We got this one from the past FUN. Only have this photo. If it works, then I still have it somewhere and could get a front and back photo (maybe even a little better lighting). :)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file