Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this authentic

See this : 1832 Half Dime

I'm not the best on this series, I notice the I in Liberty looks odd, and the last S in States looks like squeezed in. Thoughts?
Joe

Everything is all right!

Comments

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard to tell - the pictures are funky.
    But it appears to be genuine, although harshly wire-brushed.
  • Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    The coin exhibits the diagnostics of the 1832 LM-5/V8, an R1 die marriage. But as DCarr points out, it has been harshly wire brushed. Both loops of S2 (second S in STATES) are filled, but only the upper loop of S1 appears to be filled, which seems slightly odd. There is no evidence of the retained cud which develops on the reverse, first below A1 to the scroll, and later from T1 (UNITED) to the upper left corner of the scroll, so it is an intermediate die state. It appears to be genuine, but damaged.

Because this die marriage is an R1, and can be readily found, I would avoid this wire brushed, or whizzed, coin. Other nice examples will certainly come along.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: dcarr

Hard to tell - the pictures are funky.

But it appears to be genuine, although harshly wire-brushed.

this whizzing can strongly affect the edges of devices and cap give coins a counterfeit look.

i used to think they were until i started seeing it on all type of coins i knew to be authentic.

the whizzing is so strong it literally pushes metal up to the top edge of devices giving them a high, sharp-looking edge. almost like an outline.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin has an odd look to it in my opinion. The rims seem high to me and first picture gives it a "reasonable facsimile" appearance. I'm nowhere near the expert on half dimes that Mr. Half Dime is, but I don't like it.

The fact that it's been whizzed bothers me too. The latest treads with the counterfeit coins that got into genuine third party grading service holders have been that the pieces were whizzed or polished so that they got an "improperly cleaned" label. Whizzing and polishing gives the counterfeiter the opportunity to remove or blur the telltale lumps and lines that sometimes give away the use of copy dies.

Finally, the photography is odd. Some of the pictures are surprisingly sharp, but the lighting is weird. Those who offer counterfeits sometimes play games with their pictures to hide problems.

It could be real, but why take the chance? I'd say "Run Forest, run!"
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    I am not aware of any cast counterfeits of this die marriage (1832 LM-5/V8), although there certainly could be some. I do have, however, a watch key made from a (genuine) specimen of this die marriage. Any definitive determination as to the authenticity of this coin cannot be made strictly from images, especially from the sellers pictures. That determination can only be made with the coin in hand. Again, I would strongly suggest avoiding this coin. Better examples of this die marriage, even in high grade, are readily available.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    I am not a half dime expert but I agree with the other posters that the coin has an odd look and would best be avoided.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When the photos are that bad it is best to pass.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: MrHalfDime
    The coin exhibits the diagnostics of the 1832 LM-5/V8, an R1 die marriage. But as DCarr points out, it has been harshly wire brushed. Both loops of S2 (second S in STATES) are filled, but only the upper loop of S1 appears to be filled, which seems slightly odd. There is no evidence of the retained cud which develops on the reverse, first below A1 to the scroll, and later from T1 (UNITED) to the upper left corner of the scroll, so it is an intermediate die state. It appears to be genuine, but damaged.

Because this die marriage is an R1, and can be readily found, I would avoid this wire brushed, or whizzed, coin. Other nice examples will certainly come along.

Listen to this person / , one of my favorite posters.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gut feeling is genuine, whizzed but would not touch it with a ten foot pole.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't look right, pass
  • Options
    AstroJoeAstroJoe Posts: 304 ✭✭✭
    The majority say to avoid. That I will. Gut says stay away.

When in doubt, wait until the next shows up.

If someone else bought it and he likes it and real, a good win for him.

Joe

Everything is all right!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file