Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1906 HK-337: R7 Pike's Peak Gilt So-Called Dollar

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 18, 2022 10:17PM in U.S. Coin Forum
Here are two recent HK-337 R7 specimens that came to market. Always nice to see some rare SCDs.

BTW, these are gold plated like HK-748. There are no solid gold versions.

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice to see old Zebulon on a SCD.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I meant to bid on the first one and I'm annoyed that I forgot. $150 was a great price. I wonder what that piece looks like with good pictures.

The second piece bothered me. HK-337 isn't simply gold-plated. It's a proof-only issue. That second picture doesn't look proof. It looks to me like someone plated a silver or bronze matte piece after the fact.

Yes, we all know how hard it is to judge from pictures, but that's how it looks to me.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: jonathanb

I meant to bid on the first one and I'm annoyed that I forgot. $150 was a great price. I wonder what that piece looks like with good pictures.

The second piece bothered me. HK-337 isn't simply gold-plated. It's a proof-only issue. That second picture doesn't look proof. It looks to me like someone plated a silver or bronze matte piece after the fact.

Yes, we all know how hard it is to judge from pictures, but that's how it looks to me.

Good to know about HK-337 being proof only. I was wondering about the different looking surfaces.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first one sure looks like copper in the picture..... is it due to lighting?? Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Originally posted by: ricko

The first one sure looks like copper in the picture..... is it due to lighting?? Cheers, RickO

I haven't seen the coin in hand but that's what the photos look like. Not all sellers have awesome photos.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard to tell from bad photographs, but based upon these photographs both pieces look like they were burnished or polished or otherwise abused before being given a modern plating.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    PioneerPioneer Posts: 80 ✭✭✭
    I have one of these HK-337s.... and it has a removed mount. I am guessing that the bronze or silver pieces were plated by a jeweler and sold to raise money. Interesting to know that proof gold 337s and matte plated versions exist. The one I have looks antiqued... so I guess 3 versions must exist at a minimum.

image[/URL]
    So-Called Dollar Collector
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the second picture listed by the OP has the appearance of a Silver Oxide that was plated and then dipped, removing enough of the plate that the host medal is showing as a mottled grey.
  • Options
    SCDHunterSCDHunter Posts: 686 ✭✭✭
    Here is my copy of the silver proof version (HK-335). It is listed as R6.

• Options
    Interesting to note the $1275 specimen is up for sale again as the that sale wasn't consummated. It's up to $497.00 with just under 4 hours to go. There seems to be a bit of chiseling going on.
  • Options
    Nice pieces Pioneer and SCDHunter!

Love the TrueView imageimage
  • Options
    PioneerPioneer Posts: 80 ✭✭✭
    I only paid $35 for mine. Seems crazy to be paying > $500 for a piece that may not be original and altered down the line... but then again, I like to collect altered pieces and restrikes/counterfeit pieces too and sometimes have to pay for them.... i'm sure this is controversial.
    So-Called Dollar Collector
  • Options
    Sold for $555.51 this time around. The pricing seems to make sense since the first time around the top 3 bidders were:

1) $1,275.00
    2) $1,250.00
    3) $535.00

Without the high bidder, pricing settled down at the next level down.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it is probable that bidders are becoming more educated.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file