Home U.S. Coin Forum

What do you think of the key to my set? (UPDATE)

WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just acquired it a few months ago to complete my date set and would like to know your thoughts on it.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

Comments

• lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    wholly crap

so much for looking at any coins i have with excitement for awhile

very stunning and congrats on owning a coin...guys like me...will only look at images of
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't see many of those. I like it a bunch
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! I'm jealous.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a terrific coin. Congrats.
    If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great coin, but spend a few extra bucks and get your set professionally imaged. A coin of that magnitude deserves it! I was pleased when I had mine done cause I stink at photos.
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice to see it again, Jeff!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! Wonderful coin. That was a pretty penny, I'll bet.

Lance.
  • SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭✭
    wow.

I can count the feathers on the eagle and see extreme detail in the head and cap.
    The definition in the arm and gown and the leaves its stunning the level of detail.

never have I seen a walker of this era with that level of detail very strong early strike.

that's the type of coin if you only wanted one walker you would want it too look like that coin.
  • JBNJBN Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The strike is wonderful.

I agree that better images are in order, although your images seem to capture the luster of the coin well.

Very nice key date WLH.

Congratulations.
  • winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    I can't believe what I am seeing. How gorgeous is that. Congrats a lot.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice addition to your date set!!!!!

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Wow!
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    She is a beauty!!
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the completion! Amazing to see one in that condition.
  • etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭
    What a great addition. Congrats.

Mike
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy Cow! It also looks almost like someone wrote something between the B and E of LIBERTY. I know this isn't the case, but that is how the light is playing off the coin.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People dream about coins like this.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! Great coin.

I sold my Walker set in 1993-4, wish I still had it.
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    amazing
    Frank

BHNC #203

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, guys!

Someday, I will have to get my set professionally imaged.

• ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭
    Get that piece professionally imaged. It's worthy of the expense.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TomB

Holy Cow! It also looks almost like someone wrote something between the B and E of LIBERTY. I know this isn't the case, but that is how the light is playing off the coin.

My 1st thought as well. Likely nothing though.

Possibly/probably a coin that has been dipped. I'd be concerned of that dark spot under the date getting worse. I've seen the same thing happen to the finest known 1866-s quarter....spots that grew over 3-4 decades. Overall, nice luster, strike, and appeal. Would be nice if you could find an auction photo of the coin from 20-30 years ago showing no change in appearance.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very, very impressive coin.... love Walkers...Cheers, RickO
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: JRocco
    People dream about coins like this.

One of those, 'please, somebody pinch me.......

I ran the coin through my photoshop and it's a very highly brilliant lustrous example.......it would be next to impossible to photograph.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing wrong with that one! I'll be happy with just a VF-20 to 30 or so of the 21-D, but hey I can dream too!
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey guys, I spent the entire afternoon trying to get a decent image of my 1921 D, so that I could show you the detail of it.

I messed with my camera, the lighting and took over a dozen pics.

I messed with my computer and the Canon software for over TWO HOURS before finally being able to upload these photos, then I had to edit it with Photobucket.

Maybe I'll try the reverse tomorrow, as I'm tired (ran in the morning, also) and my back hurts.

I am no pro but I think that I captured the details of this coin well but couldn't get the light just right for the luster.

For those of you who think there is 'writing' on the coin that is just an incidental, light golden, toning pattern.

This is the best that I could do given my camera and my skill set which is novice.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice Walker, but I think the spot in the date would have been a no go for me. Just too big a coin to have a problem for me.

JMHO.
  • bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It appears to be a mostly white coin. I would have PCGS see if they can clean up the distractions, TrueView it, and cross it at same grade. What a rarity. Congrats!
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: erwindoc

Great coin, but spend a few extra bucks and get your set professionally imaged. A coin of that magnitude deserves it! I was pleased when I had mine done cause I stink at photos.

This. That coin deserves a better set of photos. Maybe if you could cross it into PCGS plastic you'd be rid of those horrid white NGC prongs and could get a nice TrueView.

(What, me? A Kool-Aid drinker? Eh... sometimes, when it comes to certain things.) image

But yes- that's a super "wow" coin, indeed!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still think it is a beautiful coin.... Cheers, RickO
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not without faults but far and above any Walker I have.......any!!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
    Here is some more history....

My 1921 D Walker was fresh to the market and came from an old time collection that was submitted to NGC along with some other early dated Walkers.

This 1921 P coin was among them and was in the same submission as my D coin. It also graded 64. I had a chance to buy it, as well, but I went with the rarer D coin. I never thought twice about the little toning spot.

In retrospect; I likely should have purchased them BOTH, as the NGC 1921 P 64 is now in a PCGS 64 + CAC holder. The guy who bought it and cracked it made a cool $5000.

Despite the fact that the 1921 P coin is generally a little better struck than the D coin; my 1921 D has a better strike than this Philly coin and slightly better luster, too.

If you look between the date of this 1921 P coin you can actually see a little spot, too, of the exact same shape and size just not as dark. This is likely because this P coin was dipped longer and harder than my D coin was.

Honestly, the tiny little spot on my coin cannot even be seen when the coin is viewed in hand. You have to really be looking and tilt it at just the right angle. You need a loupe to really see it. I thought about sending it in to NCS or PCGS but I'd HATE to lose that luster, as it is better than any I've seen on a 21 D, and it is not distracting at all to the naked eye. I just feel awful darned fortunate to own it, quite frankly.

I have seen PCGS (and NGC for that matter) MS 66 coins with far worse and larger spots.

1921 P NGC 64

1921 P PCGS 64 + CAC

This is the NGC 1921 D 64 that sold for the record price of $23500, recently, and it has the flattest strike I have EVER seen for this issue and it looks dipped out to death, also, but with relatively clean fields. You'd never get me to trade my coin for this one....not even if you gave me some extra money to go along with it!!

I'm not going to bother photographing the reverse of my coin. Any future images will be done professionally. The spot is a miniscule blemish and not distracting as my POOR images make it seem. I don't feel that my skills are good enough for what you guys are used to, so I will leave it to the professionals, who can truly capture the essence of my coin thus sparing me the time and effort.

Addendum: Here are just 2 more photos that I had already taken and were on my camera's memory card just for schitzengiggles.

The reverse photo is not as good as I'd like (too much glare) but at least you can see it. I like the obverse photo that I took a lot but the lighting was just not perfect.

Slab shot:

Reverse:

• rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The OP's 1921-D sure is nicely struck. Gown lines are sharp right across the knee area, and the head has decent details. The second 1921-D shown is a coin I wouldn't have been interested in due to its terrible strike.

• pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: erwindoc

I agree, at first glance, I thought is was damaged around the head.
    I replied before I saw the whole thread. Your second photo shows much more detail around the head. What a beautiful coin! Congratulations!
    Paul

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file