Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Discussion regarding this Regency Slab

orevilleoreville Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
About 10 plus of these inexpensive Regency holdered Morgan Silver Dollars were slabbed by PCGS for the 1995 ANA show. I suspect these were actually sample slabs as I remember David Hall showing a couple of these but not selling or releasing them at the show.

Does David Hall remember showing these Regency Slabs to friends and dealers and collectors?

I have seen only two of these in the past ten years.

Your thoughts?

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Comments

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Danny Kaye collection was slabbed with these holders, mostly israeli coins I think but morgans, I have not seen one until now.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I recall correctly these were offered from about 1992-1995. Therefore, it likely was not a sample slab at the 1995 ANA.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting slab - would be cool if it said sample on the label.....short of that, not sure what to make of it.

Looking forward to hearing what the research crew at PCGS comes up with. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do sample slabs have valid cert #'s like this one does?

It's a good looking Morgan showcased by that cool slab.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TomB
    If I recall correctly these were offered from about 1992-1995. Therefore, it likely was not a sample slab at the 1995 ANA.

I'm pretty sure that the Regency holders were not in use for 3 years. I would have guessed more like six months.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It could very well be shorter than three years, but I seem to recall reading a Coin World article, or something like that, at the time they were discontinued that mentioned they had been offered for at least two years. Regardless, I don't think they were ever that popular.

Additionally, I would like to clarify my first post to mention that I believe they were a 1995 ANA promotion-giveaway, but that I meant I did not think they were a "sample slab" in the sense that this was a new holder in 1995.

Who knows, I could be wrong on all counts. It was a while ago and I was not taking notes.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: MrEureka

Originally posted by: TomB

I'm pretty sure that the Regency holders were not in use for 3 years. I would have guessed more like six months.

+1.

On a different note, the most impressive U.S. coin that I ever saw housed in a Regency holder, was an 1893-CC S$1 BM Proof that John Albanese had for sale at the East Coast Expo in 1996. I believe it is currently designated SP(no longer in the Regency slab), and I do not know who currently owns the coin.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    Here is a 1997 NGC slab issued for the 1997 ANA (New York) show.

They were given out by NGC at that show. My daughter was almost 12 then and got two of them at the show. They were giving out hundreds at the show.

Notice it also does not have "sample" on the slab on either side.

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to see some slab posts . . . . . .

Drunner
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My understanding is that Regency slabs were only used for a few months, not for a few years. I know of at least one 1890 CC tail bar in a Regency holder.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It likely dawned on someone the box would be too tall, falling over easily, slabs hitting the floor. An idea that likely was trashed before the crash or right after. image

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: MrEureka

Very cool. Is that the CRO pedigreed set?

• Options
    Originally posted by: oreville

About 10 plus of these inexpensive Regency holdered Morgan Silver Dollars were slabbed by PCGS for the 1995 ANA show. I suspect these were actually sample slabs as I remember David Hall showing a couple of these but not selling or releasing them at the show.

Does David Hall remember showing these Regency Slabs to friends and dealers and collectors?

I have seen only two of these in the past ten years.

Your thoughts?

It looks more like a show slab than a sample slab. Aren't there a lot of show slabs that aren't considered samples?
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭✭
    The raw gem Elephant token in the May 1996 Eliiasberg sale was later slabbed in a Regency holder, so these holders were in use at least through May of 1996.
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    according to conder101 from his book and the thread --- According to Rick Montgomery these were produced from 1992 to 1995 but so far I've only been able to trace them from Mid 1994 to the first quarter of 1995.

past that I would defer to Oreville and his research for the length of time they were issued as well as how to classify them. it seems that calling them a "show promotion" or a "show slab" instead of a sample is splitting hairs and getting hung up on semantics.

• Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    I love them, something different.
  • Options
    UMCaneUMCane Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    Very Interesting, and if your a "type" collector would make a nice presentation. The question is can you buy a presentation case to fit those slabs? I doubt it. Possibly a wall hung from Michaels case might work.

But very interesting none-the-less. I like it

"Just because you were born on 3rd base doesn't mean you hit a triple"

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not mind having a U.S. Type coin in a Regency Holder.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: UMCane
    Very Interesting, and if your a "type" collector would make a nice presentation. The question is can you buy a presentation case to fit those slabs? I doubt it. Possibly a wall hung from Michaels case might work.

But very interesting none-the-less. I like it
    The slabs came with a presentation bag!

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    it seems that calling them a "show promotion" or a "show slab" instead of a sample is splitting hairs and getting hung up on semantics.

It seems like many sample slab collectors themselves make a distinction since many special slabs are not collected as sample slabs. I don't think it's splitting hairs if it's a distinction that collectors use.

In any event, I wouldn't consider this a sample slab because it has a real cert number and cert listing: PCGS #3197487 (and doesn't say sample).

Saying a slab is a sample because HRH wasn't selling or releasing them at a show would be like saying every personal slab owned by a PCGS employee not for sale is a sample slab image
  • Options
    Everyone looks at things differently.

The way I look at it is, if it was created to promote PCGS, it's a sample. There are 3 main categories for me that makes it simpler to organize my collection.

1. Samples that look like slab generations actually issued by PCGS and include "sample" on the label.

2. PCGS Luncheon slabs.

3. Other promotional issues that don't follow the generation theme - organized by year of issue.

For example, 25th anniversary, Asia, Europe, YN prizes, etc.

If you're a splitter rather than lumper, #3 could become #3-6, i.e. Asia, Europe, YN's, other.

The Regency slab that Oreville posted is very cool and I'd love to own one. If the intent was to promote PCGS at the ANA, then it is a PCGS sample. image

Legal Disclaimer - I reserve the right to change my mind as more information becomes available. image

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Saying a slab is a sample because HRH wasn't selling or releasing them at a show would be like saying every personal slab owned by a PCGS employee not for sale is a sample slab ------------------------- Coin Clubs | 2010 Lincoln Reverse Finalists Edited: 12/2/2015 at 10:17 AM by Zoins

I am not fixed in my position that the Regency slab is a sample slab.....just that I wanted to discuss it.

This is a topic Lakesammman and I have discussed in the past and we tried to pin this down (what is the definition and requirements to be a sample slab)

We did feel one of the key determinants for being a sample slab was that they were initially given out for free and not sold. But that was not the only determinant and that is why I thought this was an interesting slab to discuss.

Does a sample slab have to have phony serial numbers to qualify as a sample slab?

Also the NGC slab I showed earlier here. What do we call it?

Also the NGC silver dollar sample slabs that has actual serial numbers?

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the very interesting post oreville. Today we find the Regency slabs to be very cool and would love to own one. But back in the day, I wonder how many collectors had them re-holdered to the new style because they like the new ones better.

OINK
  • Options
    Zoins, I was only making my statement based on what Oreville had said and now the above post sort of backs that up. my thoughts at first were that as a promotional item it's a sample, but what do I know.
  • Options
    The Regency slabs were despised because of their huge size and indeed they did not fit in any standard boxes unless you turned them on their side which was rediculous.

I could not stand them either but they came out in an era a decade plus after the supersized GSA silver dollars, the Paramount and Redfield silver dollars slabs so I believe PCGS thought it would be attractive to those who wanted to have a coin in a large presentation slab as opposed to the standard slabs.

To boot, these Regency slabs were much more pricey than the standard sized slabs and were available by special order on the standard form. My memory were that they cost $50 each.

My recollection is that they faded away quite rapidly and by late 1995 or early 1996, PCGS discontinued them.
  • Options
    they might be a good retro item like the Black NGC's, but they look a little silly holding non-absolutmonstercoins.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DennisH

My understanding is that Regency slabs were only used for a few months, not for a few years. I know of at least one 1890 CC tail bar in a Regency holder.

There are at least 2 of them.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: oreville

Saying a slab is a sample because HRH wasn't selling or releasing them at a show would be like saying every personal slab owned by a PCGS employee not for sale is a sample slab ------------------------- Coin Clubs | 2010 Lincoln Reverse Finalists Edited: 12/2/2015 at 10:17 AM by Zoins

I am not fixed in my position that the Regency slab is a sample slab.....just that I wanted to discuss it.

This is a topic Lakesammman and I have discussed in the past and we tried to pin this down (what is the definition and requirements to be a sample slab)

We did feel one of the key determinants for being a sample slab was that they were initially given out for free and not sold. But that was not the only determinant and that is why I thought this was an interesting slab to discuss.

Does a sample slab have to have phony serial numbers to qualify as a sample slab?

Also the NGC slab I showed earlier here. What do we call it?

Also the NGC silver dollar sample slabs that has actual serial numbers?

How many slabs would one need to order to get a sample slab promoting one's business? I have one NGC slab from a board member personalized with his business name on it.
  • Options

I met John Albanese today. He was still the owner of NGC back in 1997 (He had to think about that one for a bit!).

He seems to remember that this NGC sample slab simply did not have enough room to put SAMPLE on the slab.

This does not explain the PCGS 1995 ANA slab as it has plenty of room on the slab.

Will continue to investigate.
  • Options
    How many slabs would one need to order to get a sample slab promoting one's business? I have one NGC slab from a board member personalized with his business name on it.

I don't know if it's how many you order or if it's how big a fish you are.

There were a lot of "Fast Coin" samples this summer on ebay. Rick Snow did it in 1997 for a Christmas giveaway. Coin clubs do it all the time.

Contact PCGS and ask. image
  • Options
    jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    There are at least three tailbar Morgan's in these holders. I feel very fortunate to own one of them!
    Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014
  • Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Were there any changes of style in Regency holders or would they all be considered the same classification with no design sub-types?

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't it be neat to find a sample Regency Holder with a Doily Insert?
    Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014
  • Options
    Regency slab with a doily insert?

Impossible as the doily insert is too small for the Regency slab.
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In his book, David ducks the issue of what is or is not a sample by calling for

"Sample, Promotional, Club, Show, Luncheon, Novelty and Young Numismatist Coin and Currency Holders"

https://sites.google.com/site/sampleslabbook/
    -----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    TextAdditionally, I would like to clarify my first post to mention that I believe they were a 1995 ANA promotion-giveaway, but that I meant I did not think they were a "sample slab" in the sense that this was a new holder in 1995.

The Sample slab is not necessarily defined as PCGS displaying a new holder.

PCGS sample slabs are generally giveaways at many national shows and in the past 15 plus years more often than not, encasing a current year dated coin.
  • Options
    cccoinscccoins Posts: 287 ✭✭✭✭
    I have seen an 1870 cc $20 in a regency slab, which puts it among the better coins in regency slab.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Found this old thread searching around today and though the discussion of what is and what is not a sample slab to be interesting.

Figured I'd add confirmation to this thread that an actual PCGS Regency Sample Slab w/ "SAMPLE" on the label does exist after all... it was found at the recent 2016 ANA World's Fair of Money in Anaheim.

imageimage

But I do think the ANA attributed one in the OP is pretty darn cool too!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file