Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I hope to have about 50 years left in this hobby, what do you think things will look like at ANA 206

fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
Spent some free time going through some boxes of my childhood and found a 1985 black book coin price guide. That means I have now been collecting for 30 years, during this time I don't think I have ever gone more than a couple of months without buying a coin. I am a true addict. I am now in my mid 30's and hopefully will not have to exit this hobby until my mid 80's or later, that means about 50 more years of collecting life left.
In fact I would imagine that my most prolific years as a collector are still 10-20yrs away.
Maybe by then I will have figured out how to get paragraphs breaks to appear.

Who plans to meet me at ANA 2065. I may be one of the only guys there who can honestly say that he submitted coins to PCGS and got rattlers back and remembers when the ANA anacs slab was cutting edge.

Comments

• Options
    Here is a coin I will bring to ANA 2065, sent in for grading in 88/89- not my first submission, but was my first to ANA. I found this coin in the dealer junk bin for 35 cents and had him include it in a submission he was sending out. Coin is at least an AU58 today, amazing how the coin got nicer in 30 years

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We need more people like you for sure.

And I am certain that they are out there.

I really admire your spirit, though, very much.

I am about 10-15 years older than you and I plan on being around in the hobby for a long time to come.

It's only getting better from what I can see and what I can tell and I don't see our hobby going extinct.

I feel that I'll look back on these days and be darned glad that I got really involved like I did, as the coins will be so much rarer and more valuable by then.

I plan to collect for another 35 years, at least.

I am with you, brother, and YES I am a full blown coin addict.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a good question to ponder..... Sub questions are, what will the 3rd party industry be like? Will grading methods change? Computer grading perfected? There will certainly be many things for the grading companies to look at to keep submission of "old" coins coming back.

Will grading standards change? We have what's called "market acceptable" (raw or slabbed) but does that ebb & flow?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Three 80+ year old multi-trillionaires will compete to own the finest known Lincoln Looks at Kennedy penny.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    we will probably still be getting 1965 quarters in change, of course by that point the face value of a clad quarter may actually be worth less than the base metal value. Will be interesting to see what a quarters buying power is in 50 years. I know in the 80's I still considered a quarter to have value, I could play a video game down at the local bowling alley. For five bucks I could waste a whole afternoon
  • Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Circulating money (bills and coins) will probably be a thing of the past in 2065, so I think that coins will become even more collectible. As to what the big TPGers and the various clubs and *****ociations pull out of their hat, I have no clue but I hope I'd be done with the current sets I'm working on!!
  • Options
    ronctxronctx Posts: 106 ✭✭✭
    All "Blast White" coins of today will be dark toned in 2065, unless they have been cracked out and redipped, which will be acceptable then, even up to the point of no luster showing from multiple dipping and any coin showing original luster will bring a premium. All grading will be primary done by computer, checked by a human afterwards.
  • Options
    ronctxronctx Posts: 106 ✭✭✭
    I wasn't really being that serious about that.....image
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They'll have a press release announcing a settlement in their latest personnel scandal.
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coins will go the way of stamps
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of the current members will be dust then.
  • Options
    If coins & currency are no longer used, less and less of future generations won't ever know or understand what circulating money was. I think it could result in less interest personally, which would be sad. Sort of like payphones. I don't know about the rest of the country, but in the Northeast you have to look very far and wide to find one. My kids find them interesting for about 5 seconds and that's about it. They never commonly needed one and then experienced their disappearance. I know that's not exactly the same but you get the idea.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope you get to see ANA 2065.

I'll have my 100th birthday in that year... if by some miracle I'm not already pushing up daisies by then, which I'm pretty sure I will be.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I make it to then I'll be 85. If I still have my eyesight and presuming my wife doesn't give me an ultimatum to sell everything, I'll probably still be collecting coins.

I imagine lots of people will still collect coins then. The hobby is not nearly as dead or dying as some would think.
  • Options
    UMCaneUMCane Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    I will be 112 (ha!) coins minted for currency will be gone. Finding coins as a hobby might grow. I will make certain they bury me with no coins in my pocket.

"Just because you were born on 3rd base doesn't mean you hit a triple"

• Options
    csdotcsdot Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭
    The U.S. Government will be fighting some family to keep 1933 Double Eagles out of collectors' hands.
  • Options
    Hydrant - image

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am certain I will not be around to see this... but we will likely, by then, have fifth party

grading services (5PG)....with decimal grading. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope to have 50 years left in this hobby as well. Only trouble is, I have to live to be 116 years old to do it.

Best Regards,

George
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    Originally posted by: TwoSides2aCoin
    Most of the current members will be dust then.

At 68 now in 2015 I will not be here to see it but hope all is well.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Remember how crazy the future 2015 looked in the Back to the Future movies? Realize how much it looks the same now as it did then?

I'm sure there will be some changes, but I'm betting the bourse, auctions, and collectors will be more or less the same.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ANA in 2065 will be very different but some things will be the same. The bourse will run for 21 days because it takes that long to tour the floor in wheelchairs and scooters. The table fee will be $15,000, hotel rooms will cost $1500 and hot dogs at the concession stand cost $30. Because of the high expenses dealers will not bring any coins to the show that cost less than $5000. One dealer had the only known PCGS doily label slab, in his case ,priced at $1,000,000. QDB is still alive and had his new book " The secret history of the 1964 Peace Dollar " for sale at $700 per copy. Gold is still trying to break above its 2015 high. The Langbords are still waiting on a final decision from the courts. 95% of all U.S. Mint issues from the last 80 years are still available for less than their issue price. The YN's ( now defined as anyone under 70 ) were very active at the show. Mustard stains on dealer shirts are non -existent because the ANA now mandates bibs for all dealers.

I hope to be there. I will only be 115.image
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I can say is that I hope you all enjoy my coins....I loved them to the end.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Hydrant
    The ANA will unfortunately not exist in the year 2065. By mid-century interest in coin collecting will have reached an all-time low, with only a handfull of octogenarians having any interest whatsoever. The final blow will occur at the 2064 ANA annual convention. There will be horrific rioting and general mayhem ensuing over the sale of the U.S. Mint's 100th anniversary Kennedy Half Dollar commemorative set. The set will include one silver half, one clad half, one silver proof, one clad proof, one silver reverse proof, one clad reverse proof, one matte finish half in silver, one matte finish clad half, one matte finish silver proof, one matte finish clad proof, one matte finish silver reverse proof, one matte finish clad reverse proof, and a Jacqueline Kennedy commemorative medal in reverse proof deep cameo matte finish (new technology). The publicity surrounding the rioting will be so damaging, that an already shaky and moribund ANA will decide to permanently cease operations as of December 31, 2064. Sad but true.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm 64 years old and I will happily trade my collection for 50 more years of collecting. image
    I like the original ANA slabs and have a few myself. In fifty years from now I kinda think coin collection will not be as popular as it is now by a long shot. Just my opinion.
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: fishteeth

Spent some free time going through some boxes of my childhood and found a 1985 black book coin price guide. That means I have now been collecting for 30 years, during this time I don't think I have ever gone more than a couple of months without buying a coin. I am a true addict. I am now in my mid 30's and hopefully will not have to exit this hobby until my mid 80's or later, that means about 50 more years of collecting life left.

In fact I would imagine that my most prolific years as a collector are still 10-20yrs away.

Maybe by then I will have figured out how to get paragraphs breaks to appear.

Who plans to meet me at ANA 2065. I may be one of the only guys there who can honestly say that he submitted coins to PCGS and got rattlers back and remembers when the ANA anacs slab was cutting edge.

Funny, my first coin book I purchased was an old soft coler black book from about 67 or 68. I don't know if I still have it, but if I do, it's well hidden away.

If I have 50 years of collecting left, I'll be the fossil that is older than a vast majority of my coins. image
  • Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BryceM
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Remember how crazy the future 2015 looked in the Back to the Future movies? Realize how much it looks the same now as it did then?

I'm sure there will be some changes, but I'm betting the bourse, auctions, and collectors will be more or less the same.

Indeed, the future is very difficult to predict. I think it's funny how most visions of the future from 50 years ago include flying cars.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Hydrant
    The ANA will unfortunately not exist in the year 2065. By mid-century interest in coin collecting will have reached an all-time low, with only a handfull of octogenarians having any interest whatsoever. The final blow will occur at the 2064 ANA annual convention. There will be horrific rioting and general mayhem ensuing over the sale of the U.S. Mint's 100th anniversary Kennedy Half Dollar commemorative set. The set will include one silver half, one clad half, one silver proof, one clad proof, one silver reverse proof, one clad reverse proof, one matte finish half in silver, one matte finish clad half, one matte finish silver proof, one matte finish clad proof, one matte finish silver reverse proof, one matte finish clad reverse proof, and a Jacqueline Kennedy commemorative medal in reverse proof deep cameo matte finish (new technology). The publicity surrounding the rioting will be so damaging, that an already shaky and moribund ANA will decide to permanently cease operations as of December 31, 2064. Sad but true.

Trust me, after what happened last year with the Gold Kennedy's, the ANA will not allow another circus like that to take place. EVER.

Greg
    Greg Lyon, ANA Board of Governors 2011-2017 -- The views represented here are my own personal opinions and do not represent those of the American Numismatic Association.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file