Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

(Update with an upgrade) A newly arrived addition to my set -- Sweden 1869 10 Francs (1 Carolin)

mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 3, 2017 9:45PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum
Won this in a recent Sincona auction out of Zurich, it arrived today...thought I'd share.

Comments

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great looking piece of gold.

I wondered about the 10 francs but I see in my Krause it was minted as trade coinage.

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Swampboy

Great looking piece of gold.

I wondered about the 10 francs but I see in my Krause it was minted as trade coinage.

+1. Nice example of an interesting coin. Congrats!

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice gold!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An interesting type I hadn't seen before. Nice!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    This coin has a mintage of around 30,000 pieces and while I've seen other dates, this is the first 1869 I've ran across that was for sale/at auction. Unfortunately, as with many coins I've acquired for my set, I wasn't the only interstated bidder and wound up paying nearly $590 USD all in. Not terrible but not a bargain.

Of course it's raw...I think it's AU'ish, like a 53 as a guesstimate.
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks to have a nice original skin. Hard to tell if it may have a history of a light cleaning. I'd grade it XF45.
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options

I found a near gem piece, sent it in for grading to PCGS and the grade just posted. MS64. Tough to beat...not sure how many nicer examples can possibly be out there with a mintage of only 31,000.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

(Very belated reply- I stumbled across the image of that last coin in an unrelated Google image search.)

Wow!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

(Very belated reply- I stumbled across the image of that last coin in an unrelated Google image search.)

Wow!

• Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭

Amazing! Congrats!