Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

You guys think this tiny Netherlands 1869 10 cents will grade?

Coin looks really old and crusty, wish I could adequately capture all the color angles of it. The metal is supposedly silver, but it must be a different composition because it's not quite like other silver coins. Not sure it will grade, so looking for your opinions. It looks fine to me in hand, but do you think the surfaces are damaged? Given the color, etc., and it being silver?

I bought it for $52 so I don't have a lot of cost sunk into it, but don't want to sink a grading fee into it if you guys think it won't grade. I like the look of it for my 1869 set, and original 1869 coins from Netherlands are challenging to find, but if you don't think it will grade I'll look for another example...

Thanks!

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see no reason it shouldn't grade.

These are .640 fine, so a low silver alloy; almost billon. That accounts for the different coloration.

PS- based on Krause values of $70 in XF and $150 in MS60, you shouldn't come out too bad after grading fees. That looks at least choice AU to me, if not MS. So if it comes back AU-something, you'll be about even, and MS-anything, you win. (MS63 or better, you get a home run, since it trends $250 in that grade.) Plus you'll have the TrueView.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a tough call- I would give it a straight grade.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd grade it AU55 based on those images. I don't see any red flags preventing a straight grade.
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "look" looks like rust or environmental damage to me. I think it would come back details graded.
    I've seen this look on billon and low-silver alloys like this. I think it should straight-grade.

Still, it does look just a tiny bit granular in the pictures?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it would grade XF45
  • mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lordmarcovan

Still, it does look just a tiny bit granular in the pictures?

That granular look is sparkles of light coming from luster. If it straight grades, I think it will grade AU55 or better. It has a lot of luster, underneath, but it's either a weak strike in some areas or some wear, but the coin was shipped to me in a small 2x2 yellow envelope with typewritten info on it, looks like 1960's vintage...so maybe the coin got that way because it sat in that envelope in someone's collection for 50+ years.

Anyhow, based on your feedback I'll take a shot at it, and maybe Phil's photos will be better than mine when it gets graded/secure imaged.

Thanks for all your feedback!

Originally posted by: mercurydimeguy

That granular look is sparkles of light coming from luster. If it straight grades, I think it will grade AU55 or better. It has a lot of luster, underneath, but it's either a weak strike in some areas or some wear, but the coin was shipped to me in a small 2x2 yellow envelope with typewritten info on it, looks like 1960's vintage...so maybe the coin got that way because it sat in that envelope in someone's collection for 50+ years.

Anyhow, based on your feedback I'll take a shot at it, and maybe Phil's photos will be better than mine when it gets graded/secure imaged.

Thanks for all your feedback!

A 64% silver coin in a 40-50-year-old paper coin envelope? Sounds like a perfectly plausible explanation to me for that kind of toning.

Whether PCGS agrees or not remains to be seen, of course.

"AU55 or better" also sounds plausible to me.

Be sure to update us with results and TrueView when the time comes!

• mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lordmarcovan
    Be sure to update us with results and TrueView when the time comes!

I have a new batch of coins going in soon, waiting to receive 2 more coins in the mail in the coming days. I should have all my orders ready/assembled for submitting by the end of this week. Will keep you posted ...
  • jdmernjdmern Posts: 286 ✭✭✭
    Looks like it would grade AU50-AU55...

These low grade silver pieces tend to pick up that mottled toning, I would venture a guess that their is a bit more luster than the photos could show...

Regardless, quite a nice piece!

Justin Meunier

Boardwalk Numismatics

Originally posted by: jdmern

Looks like it would grade AU50-AU55...

These low grade silver pieces tend to pick up that mottled toning, I would venture a guess that their is a bit more luster than the photos could show...

Regardless, quite a nice piece!

Obviously you meant "low grade" in terms of silver content, not grade grade.

But yes, I know what you mean.

Welcome to the boards with your first post!

If you're so inclined and feel like it, post an introductory thread with a little about you and what you collect.

The World & Ancient Coin Forum (we affectionately refer to ourselves as "The Darkside", as you may have noticed) could always use some new blood.

• ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • jdmernjdmern Posts: 286 ✭✭✭
    Sorry, certainly should have been double-checked my post, before I sent it, I did mean low fineness image

You do see this toning pattern on many of the low fineness German States minors, they tend to look quite nice in hand though

Justin Meunier

Boardwalk Numismatics