Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

High-Grade Certified George VI/QE II Canadian Silver Halves are Tough!

So, I know that the Victoria halves circulated extensively. What surprises me, though, as I try to complete Registry Sets of the later silver Canadian halves from George VI (1937) through QE II (1967), is how tough they are to find even in Gem PCGS grade. I certainly appreciate that Canadian collectors prefer ICCS or raw coins. And I realize some of these silver issues were undoubtedly melted. Nonetheless, they still seem to be significantly rarer than their U.S. counterparts, at least grade-for-grade as compared to, say, their Walking Liberty and Franklin/Kennedy counterparts. You can seldom find a single Gem PCGS silver Canadian half on eBay. So, my Canadian friends, is there some factor I am missing? Do you have the same experience? Can you further explain their apparent rarity? Any comments appreciated.

Best Regards,

George
VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're not telling me anything i didn't already know as pertains to Victoria. Hers are indeed tough! I never did much with the later monarchs, though.

PS- how do the mintages of Geo VI and Lizzie stack up against their US contemporaries like Walkers, Franklins, and Kennedies? Surely there weren't as many made.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first-year Geo VI issue, 1937, seems to predictably have been saved in greater quantity proportional to its small mintage of 192,000 pieces (they appear more frequently).
    The second-year 1938 is far rarer in high grades despite an equal mintage (all figures are for circulation strikes as given in Haxby).
    The 1939 -- 288,000.
    1940-1942 -- 1.7 million to 2 million each
    1943 -- 3.1 million
    1944 -- 2.5 million
    1945 -- 2 million
    1946 -- 950,000
    1947 Straight 7 (aka Curved Left 7) and Curved 7 (aka Curved Right 7) -- 425,000
    1947 Maple Leaf, Straight 7 (aka Curved Left 7) and Curved 7 (aka Curved Right 7, enormous key variety) -- 38,000
    1948 (key) 38,000
    1949 -- 859,000
    later issues were generally in the 2 million - 8 million range except for 1954 and 1955 at 500,000 and 750,000. QE II started of course in 1953. So some of the later issues are not that far different from their Franklin half counterparts (but struck at only one mint, not two or three)

Best Regards,

George
  • Options
    I collected Canadian halves from circulation starting in the early 1950's fro,m my home base in Bangor Maine and yearly trips to the Moncton New Brunswick area.
    My impression was that Canadian halves were scarcer than USA halves although you did get them in change regularly. I often found that banks did not have rolls of them.
    I did get 2 rolls from a Canadian Tire store. They gave me a discount since they knew there were a couple of US halves in the rolls.

I accumulated about 100 Newfoundland halves in 17 different dates. I never found a pre-George VI Canadian half. I came across Newfoundland twenty cent pieces. These always circulated as quarters.

edit: Added "-" and "Canadian" around "George VI". (didn't make sense as written - sorry.)
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't searched out Canada halves, but I do have one Newfoundland half. They are pretty difficult to hunt down as well -- I've been looking for a nice Vicky I can afford for a long time. Some day! image

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭✭
    George - your observations on halves is fairly accurate. Canada did a pretty good job of monitoring the amount of circulating coinage needed basically minting coins per order of the central bank(s). And people used them, so high grade examples are scarce up to 1960.

Then for some reason the RCM went nuts and issued millions of plio-film packs. They have been trading a bullion for years, not handled very well, and subject to the melting pot. The real nice coins were cut out of the packs early and handled carefully. I've looked at 100's of sets: very hard to find one with the 50c or $1 coins without contact marks. And when found the TPGs call them PL-66/67s instead of MS65/66s especially if there is any cameo.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Then for some reason the RCM went nuts and issued millions of plio-film packs... And when found the TPGs call them PL-66/67s instead of MS65/66s especially if there is any cameo. >>

Unlike with American business strile and set coins, there is a difference in the style of strike between the Canadian set coins and regular business strike coins. They will all grade as Proof-like rather than MS. "Prooflike" basically means coins issued for the PL sets, whereas all business strikes will grade as mintstate. This is in contrast to the American struck coins/grading, where PL generally means an early/better struck business strike coin.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This last comment is a real eye-opener as I have a roll of 1964s in the SDB and was contemplating sending most of the nicer ones in to PCGS. Now that I look at them again, I do believe they would come back as PL not MS.
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Giorgio,

can you please define High grades?

Are you suggesting that this applies to all George and QE 50 cent coins?

for some coins a AU 50 would be a rare high grade, while for others a MS 62 would be very common.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: giorgio11
    This last comment is a real eye-opener as I have a roll of 1964s in the SDB and was contemplating sending most of the nicer ones in to PCGS. Now that I look at them again, I do believe they would come back as PL not MS.

The easiest way to tell the difference is that business strike coins have regular "cartwheel" lustre, whereas PL set coins do not. Both business strike coins and PL coins can have Cameos, although they are much more common on PL coins.

http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections