Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is the Westchester (NY) Coin & Stamp show worth attending (White Plains, NY)?

Longacre was supposed to play golf at historic Winged Foot on Friday, but unfortunately my playing partner cannot make it. Therefore, I will come into the office and slave away for The Man, but am looking for a brief respite from slogging through the internal revenue code. I noticed that the Westchester Coin and Stamp Show is this weekend, beginning on Friday.

I have gone to this in the past (I think it was called Westpex or something like that). Is this a good show to ask the limo to steer towards? How is the activity on Friday, say, mid-day? I was thinking of going around noon or so, after my advance team has given me the all-clear. What do you think? Comments?
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    I don't know about that coin show, but I like the quote from "Happy". It was quite a refreshing change from the rest of the sleepy 1970's rock that was coming out.
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Longacre,
    The "show" is the same as always. This one is down in the basement. Mostly the same dealers including the stamp guys. Probably the largest show in Westchester County, New York except for Thanksgiving. Enjoy, but I won't be there this time. Show opens around noon on Friday.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to go to this show years ago, but I have not been in over a decade. The "big show" that is upstairs had more dealers than "small show" which is in the basement. My impression then was it was something better than a local show, but well short of a regional show, like summer FUN. That is especially true of the basement show. I would go if I were in the area, but I would not drive a couple hundred miles out of my way to attend it.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    I've gone a couple of times. I was surprised the last time I went at the variety of coins available along with some good deals I was able to find.
  • Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to love this show in the 1990s when early type was chronically "dead" and cheap compared to now, and there was almost no premium for nicely colored commems and capped bust halves..... dealers like the late Chip Gambino had dozens of beautiful coins to pick from but the uncertified coins were often overgraded.... it's still a nice show and worth attending if you are in the area.
    Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Where is DaveG when I need him??? image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    DaveG was at work. image

Actually, I haven't been to this show in about a decade, but, when I used to go, the October show was the second strongest, after the Thanksgiving show. There used to a pretty interesting mix of material, even at the "basement" shows.

I've never been on a Friday, but the floor should be pretty quiet, so you can cruise the tables pretty quickly.

Jon Lerner is the guy to ask, as he used to set up at this show regularly.

Check out the Southern Gold Society

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file