Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Which Seated denomination is tougher to find wholesome in XF/AU... Double Dime or Dollar?

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just a thought that crossed my mind as I think over the years I've only seen a few of each in XF/AU which where wholesomely original.

Which is tougher to find never having been even mildly molested image
To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a toss-up. The most common double-dime being the 1875-S is readily available in just about any grade in the AU realm (50-58). Whereas the Seated Dollar has a wider range of dates available throughout it series.

Are we looking at TPG certified pieces?

Looking through Collectors.com for some numbers...stand by. (continuously getting "timed out") Moving to collectorscorner.com

17 Twenty Cent Pieces (problem free) AU 50-58 (PCGS, NGC and ANACS)

132 Seated Dollars (problem free) in AU 50-58 (PCGS, NGC and ANACS)
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im going to anecdotally say the dollar as I have seen more adulterated examples of this denomination than any other in the series. That may be because there are more to adulterate but it feels like 80% of the population has been dipped and stripped.

My single Seated dollar:
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    the dollars had a longer stretch but because of the face value were likely much more difficult for a collector of the time to find as well as save, the dollars didn't circulate well so unless the collector had connections, he would not likely be able to obtain a nice new dollar coin, and being the large size, im sure many were molested by those that could afford to save them. the DD on the other hand, had a low mintage in philly, where most collectors would have been, in contrast to the S mint which was probably readily available in san fran but few new ones were saved as people most likely preferred to pass them off as quarters at the first opportunity. the lower value of the DD would make it more attractive to save if someone wanted an example but could only be found in numbers in the west where silver wasnt wanted.
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    Here's a PCGS AU55 which I saw in a dealers sold archives that made me think how rarely I ever see anything like this.

• Options

<< <i>Im going to anecdotally say the dollar as I have seen more adulterated examples of this denomination than any other in the series. That may be because there are more to adulterate but it feels like 80% of the population has been dipped and stripped. >>

If I started a Seated Dollar collection a decade ago in XF45-AU58 I might have 3-4 lonely coins widely spaced in a box of 20 right now. I don't have the patience to wait 2-3 years for 1 coin to come up as that mission would have been aborted. Below is the last PCGS XF-45 I sorta liked also from a dealer sold archives.

• Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imagine my pleasant surprise when I discovered the following PCGS True View image of my 1846 Seated Liberty Dollar, while doing a routine PCGS certification verification & auction history provenance search on it. image

As a conservatively graded PCGS AU-53, I think all would agree that it has high eye appeal and appears to be "wholesomely original" per the theme of this thread... image

1846 Seated Liberty Dollar -- PCGS AU-53
    imageimage
    PCGS True View - Photo Credit Phil Arnold

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    ill reserve my opinion for my own coins
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one is graded AU53. It works for me.

I'm still looking for a double-dime with a similar appearance. Yes, there are tons of them available, but virtually all of them have the same dull, grey look, like this one, which is filling a hole until something prettier comes along:

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say that the Seated Dollar is tougher mainly because so many fairly sharp examples have been doctored to look a certain way. If you are looking for coins that have never been dipped, it might become a toss-up.

I've been been trying to buy an 1875-P Twenty Cent Piece in MS-64 or so for almost two years and have been unsuccessful in finding a piece with orginal surfaces. I've given up. I all buy a dipped one now if I like it.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

<< <i>I've been been trying to buy an 1875-P Twenty Cent Piece in MS-64 or so for almost two years and have been unsuccessful in finding a piece with orginal surfaces. I've given up. I all buy a dipped one now if I like it. >>

Don't give up image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file