Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Post a design which Without Toning does Nothing for you

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
I really like this one a lot but without toning I'd have no interest.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    no need to be politically correct here
    if ya want an ugly coin thread...just title it as such
    "post your dog of a design here" thread image

1995 special olympics commemorative and susan b's are welcome here then i take it
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options

<< <i>1995 special olympics commemorative >>

Just thinking about this I've never seen one with even trace patina as I bet Eunice frightens any formation away? imageimage
  • Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I second the feelings about the Washington commemoratives. However, they are often found with spectacular toning.

As for the SBA - here's one that has some nice color on both sides!

NGC MS65
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful when toned. Fairly bland when white.
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually cherry picked this for the variety, the color was just a bonus. Had it holdered Rev side up. Had hopes for 64 but was pleased with the 63 grade.

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with BS on this design.

• Options
    EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anything Barber
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cannot think of a single coin that looks better toned. Those that do nothing for me, still do nothing for me if they are toned.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anything Barber >>

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never liked the BTW design.
    Many of the commems are just plain dull without color.
    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anything Barber, Bust, or Seated.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I cannot think of a single coin that looks better toned. Those that do nothing for me, still do nothing for me if they are toned. >>

+1, My thought as well
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This type, a Roman gold coin minted by Tiberius, is thought to be the "Tribute penny" referenced in the Bible and many of the varieties have rather poor engraving quality. Tiberius minted only a few types in his 23-year-long reign so there are many examples of this coin in existence, making it probably the most common Roman aureus type.

I never thought I would buy one but when I found this example, I bid heavily. It, like two other coins in my collection, is part of the "Boscoreale hoard", where the ash from Mt. Vesuvius toned the coins in a wine jar which was buried in Pompeii. To me, the toning (and therefore, the pedigree) represent the vast majority of the value of this coin:

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

Weiss, I really like that and would never purchase any dipped white bust coinage.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not mine, but it's a stunner. I just don't care for barber, capped bust, or seated stuff as a rule.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wash quarters do nothing for me unless they look like this one:

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That SBA is awesome! I think your obverse is better than mine and a little cleaner too.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Barbers, any denom. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file