Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

1855 UNIFACE TRIAL STRIKES , GILT BRONZE , NAPOLEON III FRANCE

MY last issue (and first France ) was a nice pair of 1855 UNIFACE TRIAL STRIKES , GILT BRONZE , NAPOLEON III FRANCE (50 & 100 Francs).I find them interesting pieces with numismatic history and lessons.
All graded by NGC : 50 Francs obverse PF64, 50 Francs reverse PR65, 100 Francs Obverse PF63 and reverse PF62.
Dedicated to Zohar.

Comments

• JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
  • STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Interesting! I need to remember that in my next life I want to collect French coins, essais, etc seriously. image
    Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Panos - thank you for the dedication - they are beautiful as your images. Never seen these before.
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    VERY NICE! This is the kind of stuff I love. Here is one of mine, though not nearly as cool (not nearly as old, and from a minor nation):

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• zompelszompels Posts: 215 ✭✭
    Beautiful portrait ....what does "PRUEBA" means (reverse)??
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    (edited because post was empty)...

Prøbe or Proba are more common versions of Prueba but mean the same thing (like "essai" or trial strike)
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are cool. I like the Empire Français on the reverse.
  • HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Very cool. Ive always like trail strikes.
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They all look great, the 50 franc 65 reverse especially.
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    Panos, I wonder if you'll bother bringing them at the club tomorrow, I'd love to see them in hand. Congrats!
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
    Damn I would love to join you guys for a meeting in that Athenian coin club!
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    Z., this club used to bring shame to older collectors such as myself, until about ten years ago, when the old guard was ousted, members who hadn't paid their fees for several years were taken off the list (and consequently refused entrance and/or participation to the auctions) ,an additional floor was rented and the entire club was modernized with wifi, with flat screen tv sets on the 4th floor to show the items while they are being auctioned (despite the lot viewing that goes on until a few hours before the auction), a significant library was recently purchased and added to the club's holdings,so overall, it's finally become a decent place to bring a friend such as yourself in case you were visiting.

Nowadays

the 4th floor has become a place for buying/selling coins, by dealers and collectors alike (except during the 4-5 auctions per year)
    and because most smokers (myself EXcluded) never respect the smoking prohibition, it can be a frightening place to be
    whereas the 3rd floor is quiet, for lending books, consigning items for their auctions and asking general information.
    There are no commissions at the auctions for the buyers, only a 10% for sellers, plus VAT, which is the club's main source of cash along with memberships.

The club has organized several educational visits, to the Mint, to the Numismatic Museum, the Benaki museum, to the Bureau of Engraving and more
    and has invited several interesting people to speak, such as the multi awarded George Stamatopoulos, designer of all Greek euros
    circulating and silver and gold commems, as well as commem 2 euros (and even a few drachmas before that),
    a truly gifted artist who's won so many international competitions, that I've lost count so far.

When someone at the audience asked him, what is he collecting
    his answer was... "well, first of all, I'm TRYING to collect every single coin I've designed so far"
    including of course gold commems and such. We were all speechless. The Bank of Greece doesn't keep a single coin to offer to this great artist...

Well, we hired him and he designed an excellent silver medal for the club that is now sold out.

And that's pretty much it. The club is profitable, with cash reserves that several organizations would be jealous of, despite a complete renovation that took place.
    Sometimes, bargains can be had, early Sunday morning, especially with our economy.

Personally, I never, EVER become a candidate whenever elections are taking place - voluntary unpaid work I can deal with,
    but being there every single Sunday, absolutely not. Life has other nice things to enjoy.

Finally, most of us, end up meeting and gossipping at a coffee shop nearby, and not the club itself.image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
    Dimitri, the smoking part wouldn't fly in most parts of the US image, yet it does sound like they cleaned up their act. How many members and how often does it meet or is it open ended for visits?
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MY last issue (and first France ) was a nice pair of 1855 UNIFACE TRIAL STRIKES , GILT BRONZE , NAPOLEON III FRANCE (50 & 100 Francs).I find them interesting pieces with numismatic history and lessons.

zompels - What can you tell us about "the history and lessons" of these pieces? Can you explain the markings on the back of each piece? I've seen a fair number of these over the years, but have never felt I understood exactly what they are, or why they were made.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Can you explain the markings on the back of each piece?

The back of the 100 Franc pieces has the word "EPREUVE", meaning Proof, Trial, or Test.
  • zompelszompels Posts: 215 ✭✭

<< <i>MY last issue (and first France ) was a nice pair of 1855 UNIFACE TRIAL STRIKES , GILT BRONZE , NAPOLEON III FRANCE (50 & 100 Francs).I find them interesting pieces with numismatic history and lessons.

zompels - What can you tell us about "the history and lessons" of these pieces? Can you explain the markings on the back of each piece? I've seen a fair number of these over the years, but have never felt I understood exactly what they are, or why they were made. >>

Hi Andy ,
    We will discuss it further at Coinex cause I have to write pages.
    Dimitri Loulakakis has told me once why there are collectors about them and what's the interest.
    A pair of gilt bronze uniface trial strike 1876 50dr George I of Greece(unique) , had a hammer price of about 50K € at Barron's previous auction.
    A friend who bid this pair has the gold 50dr 1876 in Superb condition but wanted also the unifaces for making a set and examine the differences before and after the final strike of this piece.