Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS "DISCOVERY COIN" SLAB LABEL! For all of us that have been told NO NO NO NO!

keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
Another member had posted about this on another forum and I thought it would be good to post here.
I have no clue who originally submitted the coin to PCGS but it is certainly PRE-PRONG Holder and is in a PCGS Registry Set.

I have called and asked PCGS to do this for an 1897 RPD 10c.
Others have asked them to do this for the 1919 DDO 10c.
And there are sooooo many other examples of where people have been
told various versions of "No, we don't do that."

Well, here is an example of where they "DID DO IT."
"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

Comments

• Options
    BroweBrowe Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
    It looks like the coin is listed with a Pedigree when you do a coin look up. I'm not sure that PCGS actually denoted "Discovery Coin" on the holder.
  • Options
    The Pedigree listed on the lookup is "Discovery Coin." And then if you look at the Heritage Auction Result, their image shows it is on the label.
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    I guess what I'm saying is, could someone have just filled out "Discovery Coin" as a Pedigree on the submission form in order for this to be added to the label? It would seem very odd to me that PCGS would do it once, and never again.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    David Hall did this one for me in December 2004. Special circumstances. My understanding at the time was it was the first one PCGS had ever done.

When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    So I guess it is all about who you are and who you know, just like the rest of things in life.

Recently, they have been pretty firm on the No No No No thing as far as I can tell.
    I was surprised PCGS declined the discovery coin business on the 1919 DDO
    And preferred that ANACS take the business, especially with something so
    "High Profile" and major destined for the CPG and possibly Regular Red Book
    for next year.
  • Options

<< <i>I guess what I'm saying is, could someone have just filled out "Discovery Coin" as a Pedigree on the submission form in order for this to be added to the label? It would seem very odd to me that PCGS would do it once, and never again. >>

I highly doubt that scenario but anything is possible I guess. Since we now have another coin posted in this thread from what seems to be the same era...
  • Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    Interesting...... thank you for sharing.

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I guess what I'm saying is, could someone have just filled out "Discovery Coin" as a Pedigree on the submission form in order for this to be added to the label? It would seem very odd to me that PCGS would do it once, and never again. >>

I highly doubt that scenario but anything is possible I guess. Since we now have another coin posted in this thread from what seems to be the same era... >>

Yes, a second one certainly makes it that much more credible. I was just looking at all the possibilities.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I highly doubt that scenario but anything is possible I guess. Since we now have another coin posted in this thread from what seems to be the same era... >>

Yes, a second one certainly makes it that much more credible. I was just looking at all the possibilities. >>

• Options
    valente151valente151 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭
    imageimage

Keyman, lead the march to Newport Beach!!

imageimageimage
  • Options
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It looks like the coin is listed with a Pedigree when you do a coin look up. I'm not sure that PCGS actually denoted "Discovery Coin" on the holder. >>

I sent the CONECA certificate of discovery/first report along with the coin. That's all it took. I have never gotten any special treatment from PCGS.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It looks like the coin is listed with a Pedigree when you do a coin look up. I'm not sure that PCGS actually denoted "Discovery Coin" on the holder. >>

I sent the CONECA certificate of discovery/first report along with the coin. That's all it took. I have never gotten any special treatment from PCGS. >>

Very cool, congrats! I am guessing the policy just changed at some point then because I offered PCGS the exact same scenario and they said no
    for my 1897 RPD Dime that is equally significant to those in the CPG.

I of course asked ANACS if they would do it for me with the CONECA document and they said YES.
  • Options
    I hope I don't have a double post here but it looks like my first reply didn't "take" so I'll post it again.

That's my discovery coin, found at a show in Jamestown, NY in 1998. I subsequently sold it at the 2013 FUN show. It has nearly the spread of the 1942-D 1-O-I on LIBERTY but the hubbings were very close in strength so the division lines are very weak. It has very strong notched corners, tho. I believe there's still only a few known. It's the biggest of my discovery pieces so far in 25 years of cherrypicking.
  • Options
    I honestly don't know why our host won't put that info on the label with proper documentation
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS won't put a pedigree on a cert label unless it's earned
    Lance.
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I honestly don't know why our host won't put that info on the label with proper documentation >>

Maybe they are just afraid the Chinese will copy it.image
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess the

Discovery Coin

registry set name is already taken
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    I guess what I'm saying is, could someone have just filled out "Discovery Coin" as a Pedigree on the submission form in order for this to be added to the label? It would seem very odd to me that PCGS would do it once, and never again.
    The ONLY way a Pedigree can appear on a coin is if the submitter has a set of Quarters that is better than 80% complete AND is in the Top 5 for the specific Registry Set. The "Pedigree" is added to EVERY coin in the set upon submission o the entire set to PCGS. Individual coins can be replaced within the set for the pedigree labeling but only after the entire set has been labeled. Given these facts in addition to the fact that no other coin in the users registry has Discovery Coin as a Pedigree, it is simply not possible for that labeling to be a Pedigree Request.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I hope I don't have a double post here but it looks like my first reply didn't "take" so I'll post it again.

That's my discovery coin, found at a show in Jamestown, NY in 1998. I subsequently sold it at the 2013 FUN show. It has nearly the spread of the 1942-D 1-O-I on LIBERTY but the hubbings were very close in strength so the division lines are very weak. It has very strong notched corners, tho. I believe there's still only a few known. It's the biggest of my discovery pieces so far in 25 years of cherrypicking. >>

Thank You.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file