Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Scratches covered up by Sharpies

BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
It seems to me that scratches are often covered up by taking a marker and covering over the scratch. I see this often and apparently it is considered acceptable to TPG's. For example, look at the scratches covered up by markers on this coin. Look at it at high magnification and one can see the scratches hidden by the ink.

Is this really an acceptable practice? What sort of ink or substance is used to cover scratches?

1864 PCGS AU53 CAC half dollar
3 rim nicks away from Good

Comments

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is this really an acceptable practice? What sort of ink or substance is used to cover scratches? >>

honestly, that is kinda what it looks like.

marker or not, if those are scratches, what is it doing with a sticker and lofty grade?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think that is ink.....more than likely a sulfur burn (rubberbanding stacks of coins will do this sometimes)

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have to use the really good ink. You also have to stay within the lines.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What the heck? I can't recall seeing something like that before. It looks like they missed a scratch in the obv right field. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭
    My first thought of what it could be is a planchet impurity. I have a Capped Bust Half with similar look. Its raw, so dont know how the TPGs would grade, but I assumed it would be a net deduction.
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    I would think a marker pen would highlight the scratch. Maybe they did it so a buyer could find the scratches easier and be so appreciative of the consideration that he buys the coin.

Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    1Bustcollector1Bustcollector Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    From what I can make out from the picture, it appears some of the scratch areas has a dark covering/outline. It does look like something was hand drawn to follow over each area for the most part. I'd rule out a rubber band effect on all these, rubber bands usually don't follow a wiggly outline - do they? Not buying it, sorry.
    Persuing choice countermarked coinage on 2 reales.

Enjoyed numismatic conversations with Eric P. Newman, Dave Akers, Jules Reiver, David Davis, Russ Logan, John McCloskey, Kirk Gorman, W. David Perkins...
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    What ever the case why would this not be considered a problem coin?
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since it's that obvious, I have my doubts whether PCGS or CAC would grade a coin with a"Sharpie" mark covering a scratch.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It never seems to work for me. Perhaps I should stop using a highlighter?
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont see anything wrong with this coin. Yeah the eye appeal isn't the greats because of the burn marks.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt it's from a Sharpie. But some of it does look too coincidental.

Perhaps whatever scratched the coin long ago was contaminated.

Whatever. It probably shouldn't have straight-graded.
    Lance.

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭

<< <i>marker or not, if those are scratches, what is it doing with a sticker and lofty grade?
    . >>

+1
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭✭
    Fissures in the planchet as made, and the scratch in the right field isn't much of one. I have no problem with this straight grading at all.
  • Options
    It's probably not a marker pen, but I wonder if a charcoal pencil with a little rubbing might do this.

I disagree. The "scratches" cross over the rock and extend further to the dentiles in concert with the black marking. Also note that the black mark on the arm covers what looks like a scrape or scuff on the arm.

I've seen this black coloring which hides a scratch many times on coins. In fact, I usually look for underlying scratches when I see such conspicuous dark lines on coins. They're often there. It's more than just coincidence. Whether it was deliberate doctoring or some agent that caused both the "scratch" and dark color, I don't know, but I've seen more conspicuous examples on other coins. I posted this coin because it's listed on Heritage Auctions, which provides decent enlarged pictures. I know what rubber band streaks look like on coins as well and don't find such scratches in those circumstances.

I haven't been looking at coins much lately, but I will try to add more examples to this thread when I encounter them in the future.

Thanks for your the comments so far.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know what caused the streaks. However, if you look at the way the black streak crosses over stars 1 and 2, it should be obvious that the streak was not painted or inked onto the coin.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't know what caused the streaks. However, if you look at the way the black streak crosses over stars 1 and 2, it should be obvious that the streak was not painted or inked onto the coin. >>

Perhaps it's been rubbed off in the suspected "doctoring" process. Again, I see this often, and I can't say this coin was messed with, but I'd like an explanation for this. How about being brushed with an oxidizing solution to cause dark color and cover any bright surface imperfection or scratch?
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm more suspicious about the field to the right of the head.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not a slag impurity in the planchet mixture and not a marker or paint.

I too believe it's sulfur burns as maybe it was laying in a drawer with old rubber bands.

Whatever it is it's storage related.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    AblinkyAblinky Posts: 625 ✭✭✭
    That seems quite intriguing, I'll be sure to take a look at that one in hand when I lot view.

Andrew Blinkiewicz-Heritage

• Options
    IcollecteverythingIcollecteverything Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭
    Never seen that before but it sure looks like someone was up to no good.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    Neat informative thread, some you folks are pret' clever image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I for one don't see anything but toning streaks. Whether caused by planchet impurities or placement in some kind of envelope or other paper, who knows.

While a little unusual, it doesn't bother me and doesn't look terribly anomalous. JMHO.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What ever the case why would this not be considered a problem coin? >>

Given the current market attitudes, a more pertinent question might be, why does it have a CAC sticker?
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I send a coin in with 3 random hairlines and it gets body bagged. There's NO WAY that coin gets encapsulated unless in the opinion of the graders the coloration was caused naturally by planchet flaws IMO. The graders tend to be somewhat forgiving of these older issues but these marks stand out to the degree where someone having the coin in hand made the call to grade it. Then CAC agreed. It must be natural.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given the TPG and FPG acceptance, I would say there should be a more acceptable explanation....unless the 'features' were not there at slabbing/reviewing.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    To see what looks like trickery to me you have to blow up the obverse pic as big as you can. Then look at the neck (two horizontal lines), the elbow holding the staff and then the area in the lower left field from the stars down to the left of the date.

There is something (looks like scratches) under the darkened areas in all of these spots. Some places you can see the lines but they missed the darkening. The place that looks most like a "Sharpie" is the even rectangular spot in front of the face which also appears to be obscuring something.

If these are planchet flaws that also made the metal turn I apologize to everyone involved. Somtimes when I look at them they look like raised lines but I think that is an illusion.

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The streaks look like streaks I have seen on silver coins from long term contact with rubber bands.
  • Options
    TheDukeKTheDukeK Posts: 359 ✭✭✭
    I've seen rubber band burns and that placement makes no sense for a rubber band in that weird angle. Plus what are the chances that a rubber band would move left and right to cover over that scratch.
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    If it was a sharpie then acetone would take it off, but that only works for raw coins image
    Ed
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If it was a sharpie then acetone would take it off, but that only works for raw coins image >>

With enough acetone and a long-enough soak, it'll work on slabbed coins, too.
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't know what caused the streaks. However, if you look at the way the black streak crosses over stars 1 and 2, it should be obvious that the streak was not painted or inked onto the coin. >>

I have also seen hairlines that seem to stop at the very edge of a device (or star or date or...) and, then, come directly out of the other side of the device. How do "they" cover these? Is Betty Crocker involved? It's amazing work image

I suppose you're going to claim lines such as these are not damage either. . . . image
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If it was a sharpie then acetone would take it off, but that only works for raw coins image >>

With enough acetone and a long-enough soak, it'll work on slabbed coins, too. >>

hilarious, yet true. image

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It seems to me that scratches are often covered up by taking a marker and covering over the scratch. I see this often and apparently it is considered acceptable to TPG's. For example, look at the scratches covered up by markers on this coin. Look at it at high magnification and one can see the scratches hidden by the ink.

Is this really an acceptable practice? What sort of ink or substance is used to cover scratches?

1864 PCGS AU53 CAC half dollar >>

Two sets of unassociated and independent professional eyes which have been making money off of grading coins..............................and you're the expert?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Could it be something like Dellers Darkener? I think there is sulfur in it so could be similar to the rubber band effect.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file