Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coins "Today" You Wish You'd Never Sold :(

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
I had a ton of cash in my pocket at a show 6 years ago but for some reason didn't want to spend any so I traded it. Thankfully I still own the trade item and it has increased in value to justify my (stupidity) loss. Still this AU50 1913-S was as nice if not nicer with better luster and color then some AU58 of the same date I've owned and sold.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one...picked it up for $25 at a show and sold it a few years later at a handsome profit to support my habit. PCGS graded it MS66+. image Wish I had it back today.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whew! Where to begin???
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,871 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I miss the several that went into trading for this but I don't regret it
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's another obverse shot...

I keep telling myself it probably had a really bad rim ding under the gasket as to why it net graded to make me feel better imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some far as collectable coins go in my collection, I now have no regrets. Some coins I bought back have not done well financially, but I still enjoy them as collectors' items.

There were some great coins I sold when I was dealer, but I could not afford to keep them at that time. That's the way it goes.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    I was regretting the selling of a UHR coin that was PCGS graded 70 fs. I ended buying one back later for a good price in a lesser holder.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is nothing worse than selling a coin and finding the same coin in a higher grade holder worth a ton more money. For this reason, I try and forget the coin the minute I sell it.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    90+% complete Seated half set in XF. Sold before they got real popular. I've sold my bust halves 3x and now am back up to 70+, hoping to get to 100 and join BHNC.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are coins that I never should have BOUGHT image but SOLD? Only ONE comes to mind and I don't have an image of it. It was an 1888-S Morgan in MS 63 OGH. imageimage

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never cry like Nancy Kerrigan, the "Why Baby" when ever I sell a coin from my collection. But there are a couple I would like to do over.
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    I guess it would be this one.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every time someone posts this topic it just brings tears to my eyes. image

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    BIGAL2749BIGAL2749 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭
    A nice 1796 quarter in PCGS 40 that my wife was against selling.

Worse, Don Willis told her it sold at auction for 3X the money only a few years later, so now I never hear the end of it whenever I think of selling an expensive coin.

Also I should never have sold it since it was the B2 variety and the new upgrade coin was a B1 so I had a complete variety set for 1796 quarters
  • Options

<< <i>A nice 1796 quarter in PCGS 40 that my wife was against selling.

Worse, Don Willis told her it sold at auction for 3X the money only a few years later, so now I never hear the end of it whenever I think of selling an expensive coin.

Also I should never have sold it since it was the B2 variety and the new upgrade coin was a B1 so I had a complete variety set for 1796 quarters >>

Bummer. Some good reasons to have kept it. Live and learn. How nice is must be to have a wife that encourages and supports you in your coin addiction. My girlfriend thinks I'm crazy.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Every time someone posts this topic it just brings tears to my eyes. image >>

Yes, me too! I found a 1999 Wide A.M. Variety Cent on the ground in 2000. I sent it in to NGC. It came back a 64RB. The real reason I regret selling ($200) was because my coin was the FIRST Wide A.M. NGC ever graded in the Wide A.M. category. #1. 1ST one! Oh well.image

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Bummer. Some good reasons to have kept it. Live and learn. How nice is must be to have a wife that encourages and supports you in your coin addiction. My girlfriend thinks I'm crazy. >>

And that's why she will stay a girlfriend. image >>

Yeah--she better change her ways. I got priorities, you know. image

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't want to post this in the relevant post! I am 99% certain I sold a nice original VF/XF 1919 Double Die Merc dime that was newly discovered 15 or 20 years ago. I didn't think anything about it when I bought it in a big deal from a dealer I was sortta buying out. It was labeled as doubling in the letters on the holder. I am embarrassed to post this!
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    amwld,

don't feel embarrassed. I had one of those 1919 ddo mercs a few years ago, everywhere I looked to trying to find info, was told it was strike doubling, no references. Now few years later its noted as the real deal. I believe mine would have graded Vf+ to xf..

topic:

2 coins I regret selling : 1870 cc quarter in OGH 25(now a 35 easily)
    1802 Bust dollar, nicest au55 I have ever seen

jim
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whenever this topic comes up, I always post this coin.
    P63, thin planchet.
    Let me know if you happen to see it out in the wild!

imageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1805 Irish gilt proof penny, NGC PF64 UCAM.

My #1 "seller's remorse" coin.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    deltadimemandeltadimeman Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since I never sell my coins, I am spared this numismatic depression....image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm usually not a 'regrets' person - what is done is done, etc.,
    but if I had to pick a coin that I wish I had not sold (twice!)
    and kept for my own collection, it would have to be the unique

1851 $20 Liberty Struck on a Large Cent Planchet,
    pictured in Appendix B Mint Errors, of the original
    Judd Pattern books.

I bought the coin directly from Sol Kaplan, Cincinnati,
    back in late 1973, where it was listed at the end of his
    printed sales listings of Pattern coinage. I was working
    for Numismatics, Ltd. at the time.

I sold the coin to Henry Weisblatt of Moccata Metals, NY (sp),
    bought it back about 3-4 years later, and sold it again.

In hindsight, it's the one coin I regret not keeping for myself.

It's in a collection of the finest, and most complete, Off Metal/
    Wrong Metal Error collection, and I'm friends with the owner.
    We laugh about me owning it twice as a dealer, and not keeping
    it as a collector - which is tough to do in many cases. This coin
    would have been the absolute best 'exception' to that rule.
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I regret selling an original 1900 proof set about 10 years ago. Besides the coins being all PF65/66 it had the original mint wrappers and mailing envelope addressed to the customer. It also contained an original mint price sheet on their entire proof line. Even better it had a double minor set that was originally ordered including 3 very cool PF66RB magenta/red toner Indian cents (70-85% red). Kept by the same family for 104 years. I miss that set. While there are much nicer proofs out there, it would be challenging to find a similar complete original package documented back to the original buyer.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are few who will sell back to me what I sold them at the same price. I've offered a few times, and a few hundred thousand dollars later few have taken me up on the offer. And we're not even talking "fame". Just your "run of the mill collectibles". I could say I wish I would have charged more.

No coins, nor names were harmed in the posting of this message.
  • Options
    BIGAL2749BIGAL2749 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭

Bummer. Some good reasons to have kept it. Live and learn. How nice is must be to have a wife that encourages and supports you in your coin addiction. My girlfriend thinks I'm crazy. >>

Initially (1977ish) she didn't like money going into coins and there was very little money)

As time went by and my first $10K coin (1803 $10 in pcgs 62 around 1990) plus some other lucky buys proved to be winners, she changed her mind.

She even told a dealer she felt if a $20K coin could buy a car or a years college today, it will buy a car or year of college in the future.

I was once looking at a nice 1798 dollar in au 53 but told her I already had one, she said you can't get too many.

I think she rather money in coins than the stock market.

I'm a very lucky man in so many ways.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file