Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Actual SCD sizes in H&K

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 19, 2019 10:19PM in U.S. Coin Forum
It's well known that H&K broke their rules for diameter sizes which are listed as:

- Minimum diameter - Size 21 (1-5/16 inch or 33mm)
- Maximum diameter - Size 28 (1-3/4 inch or 45mm)

What are the actual smallest and largest SCD diameters listed in H&K?

If there ever are any updates or future editions, should the size rules be expanded to cover what is actually included to remove inconsistencies?

Comments

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was an update, and they kept to the sizes
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There was an update, and they kept to the sizes >>

My understanding is that the discrepancies were also kept. The question is whether a future update should adjust the rules so there are no longer discrepancies. Another approach, supported by others, is to remove originally listed pieces that don't meet the rules.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hibler and Kappen sort of trapped themselves on this one, it is probably a parameter they established prior to much of their research and they held to the outline even though they knew they were violating it. I don't think that means future editions should be given carte blanche when it comes to sizes that are given numbers, there just needs to be a little more discretion. remember, their catalogue was "built" upon the work of Richard Kenney who in part used some of what others before him had done, most notably Farran Zerbe. the initial pamphlet acknowledges that the size restriction wasn't held to as stated. probably the main reason is that the most important pieces weren't the size of a standard dollar.

as it is with the inclusion of new pieces, we tend to think differently about how things should proceed. my thoughts are that it should be good enough for any future edition to acknowledge and accept any prior discrepancies but to move forward with more strict adherence to the stated parameters. as to the smallest and largest sizes, any of the Gold Dollar size medals might be the smallest and the Lesher/Bryan Dollars are probably the largest.
  • Options
    1patwick1patwick Posts: 116 ✭✭✭

An exception to Mr's, H&K size rule are the Alaska-Yukon Exposition Official Medals, HK-353,4,5&6. measuring 32mm.

• Options
    1patwick1patwick Posts: 116 ✭✭✭

Here's to the 'gold dollar size' Silver 1909 Henrik Hudson and 1939 Charbneau dollars that eeked through the So-Called Dollar "Cheat Street" of small entries.
    IMHO, the outrageous size "exclusion size" should be reconsidered to allow 28 mm medals and 12 mm. Silver medals and designate HK Numbers to dollars(such as starred HK-299-304 and HK-422 which list different obv. or rev.).

In my (who else cares?) opinion, The So-Called Dollar Book is in MAJOR need of an update and more entrees in future MEGA Red book Editions.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file