Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

OT- If travelling to Toronto by car . . .

ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
DO NOT follow your Garmin and go on the 407ETR. C$44.00 for not noticing it's a toll road.

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    That's a pretty expensive piece of macadam...image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>DO NOT follow your Garmin and go on the 407ETR. C$44.00 for not noticing it's a toll road. >>

Didn't you make this same mistake about 10 years ago.

Just buy or build one of these and drive the 407 free for life, and smash through speeding light cameras at twice the speed of sound !!!!!!

Well, maybe not that fast. image
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>DO NOT follow your Garmin and go on the 407ETR. C$44.00 for not noticing it's a toll road. >>

Depending on the time of day the 44 CAD is worth it, especially if heading to the airport. The 401 is a terrible sometimes. I lived in Kingston Ontario for two years and passing through Toronto it was a 50/50 gamble for me. Agree though it is very expensive but worth it when you are in a hurry.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Didn't you make this same mistake about 10 years ago. >>

It was my stepson this time who got nailed, not me.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ouch.

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭
    The QEW and 401 are USUALLY OK netween 11-1:30 PM. After that, you are taking a chance. You don't have to take the 407 the whole way anyway. If coming from the South, take the QEW to the 403 (if it's not alreay bumper to bumper) and then get off the 407 once past the 400 going to cottage country and go south back down to the 401. It's about $20 then (but it's Canadian, so its only $16 US.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I have an eight-hour [daytime] layover coming up in Toronto. Any good places to eat brunch? On a Friday?
    Where would you go?

Please don't say, "metro from airport into downtown sucks just stay at the airport" :/
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have an eight-hour [daytime] layover coming up in Toronto. Any good places to eat brunch? On a Friday?
    Where would you go?

Please don't say, "metro from airport into downtown sucks just stay at the airport" :/ >>

Are you leaving the airport via car during that time?

Pearson airport (IMHO) is a foodies wasteland.
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure you can set your garmin or any other navigational device to avoid toll roads. Learned this the hard way as well...$10 or so for 3 miles of toll road near San Diego that was slower than the non-toll road.

Dennis
  • Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭
    Are you flying in or driving through and stopping at Pearson? The Toronto metroplex is almost 7 million people, rivaling LA and NYC for traffic. Pearson, as someone said, is kind of a wasteland out there and HUGE. There are some hotels in the immediate area (Hilton, Sheridan, et al) but not for walking to. I'm within 35 miles of Pearson where I am right now and prefer to drive 60 miles to Buffalo to travel. Good luck at Pearson.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Hi gents (and ladies?) thanks for the comments. Regarding Pearson, I guess ... I mean all I know is the code (YYZ) not sure of the surname. We are flying in, then eight hours later, flying out. I was hoping to grab a bus or train into downtown Toronto so we could grab a bite and maybe see something other than airport and people watching.

Based on your comments, it doesn't look very good. Perhaps we will take an eight hour nap instead. Well if I find anything online, I'll be sure to share. image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE