Home Sports Talk
Options

I love Walter Payton....but

1970s1970s Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
Let me first say I loved Walter Payton. Greatest back ever. Emmitt Smith said the same. Did I say I love Walter Payton ?

However, I saw "A Football Life" on the NFL network last night about Walter, and something bothered me, and perhaps it shouldn't have.

The show documented how after the Bears won the 1985 Super Bowl that Payton didn't even want to face the cameras. He was so upset about not getting
a touchdown in the blowout against the Pats, that he stood in his corner and sulked after the game. Ditka said on the documentary that he didn't even think of giving the ball
to Walter because his objective was to win the game only, but Walter felt that he was such a hard worker for the Bears organization, that he should have been given the respect of getting the ball close near the goal line to get his touchdown. The Bears used the Fridge on the goal line stands because New England was stopping Walter all day long. He did not
have a good day because NE focused on him the whole time.

How do you feel about this ? Should Walter have been happy for the team accomplishment, or should he have been pissed about not getting the ball for a TD ?
Ditka now says he regrets not giving him the ball. Jim McMahon said Walter should have been given the chance. I don't know.

Comments

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Bears were up 37-3 when the Fridge got his touchdown (making it 43-3). Ditka saying "all I cared about is winning" is stupid. The game was over. I doubt Ditka was slighting Payton intentionally but that's absolutely what he did.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sounds like Payton puts the I in team
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a Pats fan I remember being annoyed about this while watching the game. Payton was a great player he deserved a chance to get in the endzone. There was no pressure on the Bears in that game , Ditka was and still is a douche .

Walter Payton also carried the team in the superbowl shuffle video , and doesn't get the recognition he deserves for that either
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The Bears were up 37-3 when the Fridge got his touchdown (making it 43-3). Ditka saying "all I cared about is winning" is stupid. The game was over. I doubt Ditka was slighting Payton intentionally but that's absolutely what he did. >>

+1

It was a lame move by Ditka in a game that was never in doubt and was a rout at that point. Should Payton have handled it a bit better? Sure, but Ditka handled the situation even worse and is one of the most overrated coaches ever. Buddy Ryan deserved all the credit as a coach for that 85 team.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The Bears were up 37-3 when the Fridge got his touchdown (making it 43-3). Ditka saying "all I cared about is winning" is stupid. The game was over. I doubt Ditka was slighting Payton intentionally but that's absolutely what he did. >>

+1

It was a lame move by Ditka in a game that was never in doubt and was a rout at that point. Should Payton have handled it a bit better? Sure, but Ditka handled the situation even worse and is one of the most overrated coaches ever. Buddy Ryan deserved all the credit as a coach for that 85 team. >>

Agreed 100%
  • Options

<< <i>Ditka handled the situation even worse and is one of the most overrated coaches ever. >>

Ahhh that makes me all warm and fuzzy. The 86 team was just as good as the 85 team but was one and done in the playoffs. Then he destroys another franchise for an entire decade. Drives me nuts watching people on TV kissing his butt like he's a god.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coaches often just do the same thing over and over if it works. Ditka was obviously not thinking about the possibility of Payton not getting another chance to score a super bowl touchdown.

It sure would have been nice if he at least gave Walter the ball.

Surprises me that Payton was "sulking" after the game. Winning the championship should have meant more than a personal accomplishment. I still think Payton was one of the best of all time.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate it when coaches "Over coach" when games are all but over, Belichek does it ALL THE TIME and honestly I think its poor coaching. Why the hell do coaches such as Belichek especially feel the need to do stupid stuff when games are blow outs by the 4th quarter. Ditka could have easily given Payton a score or 4 tries from the goaline for god sakes, just like Belichek could give Jimmy G some playing time in the second half during a blowout rather than let Brady take uneccesary hits throwing on his heels trying to avoid a blitz. It drives me crazy its so stupid!
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

+1

It was a lame move by Ditka in a game that was never in doubt and was a rout at that point. Should Payton have handled it a bit better? Sure, but Ditka handled the situation even worse and is one of the most overrated coaches ever. Buddy Ryan deserved all the credit as a coach for that 85 team. >>

Agreed 100% >>

I agree 100% as well but have to add something.

It was a lame move and excuse by Ditka. However Payton was just as lame by sulking because he didn't get a shot at scoring that td. His team just accomplished something that many NFL players never experience. Instead he was selfishly pouting about not achieving a personal goal. Being upset is one thing. If I was in his position I'm sure I would be bothered as well. However I wouldn't show it and let it overshadow what my team just accomplished.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bears fan here since '79. Not surprisingly, I remember this game like it was yesterday.

What many don't realize is that Jim McMahon had two TD runs of one and two yards prior to the Fridge's Nestea Plunge. Even Matt Suhey hit pay dirt (albeit from 11 yards out). In other words, a bevy of opportunities to make something happen that should have. I never blamed Walter because the man deserved it. Sure, his reaction didn't exactly place him in the best possible light, but that just showed me (a 14-yr-old at the time) that this larger-than-life guy I idolized was in fact human. To attach the selfish tag to Sweetness for longer than a few seconds would be doing him a grave disservice, because no one played the game harder and with more passion than he did -- even on some unbearable Bears teams (adjective intended).

On the Perry run, if Ditka had instead used him as a lead blocker, the probability of Walter setting foot in the house with the football in hand would have been very, very high. But with the outcome etched in stone, I'm sure Ditka was practically frothing at the mouth over the potential hysteria surrounding a Fridge touch in the SB. As it turns out, he stopped to think, but forgot to start again.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    most players tout the Team line about "as long as we win" but sometimes the truth comes out at unexpected times, even the greatest players are human after all is said and done. also, I would argue the "Greatest ever" but what's the point, right??
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Payton was always my favorite, so I will cut him some slack on the immediate reaction after the game. I believe Ditka has said that in the rush and chaos of everything going on during the game, he didn't even realize Payton had not scored until the game was over.

I seem to recall a headline at the time from either the Chicago Tribune or Chicago Sun-Times, "Payton Starves While Fridge Gets Gravy".
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Payton was always my favorite, so I will cut him some slack on the immediate reaction after the game. I believe Ditka has said that in the rush and chaos of everything going on during the game, he didn't even realize Payton had not scored until the game was over. >>

He's lying. I guarantee it got mentioned to him on the sidelines.
  • Options
    firstbase23firstbase23 Posts: 448 ✭✭✭
    I think most of us would agree Payton should have gotten an attempt to score late in that game. I saw an interview where Ditka states that is his one regret, that he didn't give Payton a chance to score. As far as his reaction, I can't blame his disappointment.

Matt
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I followed the Bears from the late 1960s forward- some years closer than others. I thought Walter Payton was very talented and certainly worthy of praise. I would rather avoid ranking players in terms of All-Time greatest at X position. His career was simply amazing. Whether he scored a Super Bowl touch down does not change that.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.