Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How much is a very good 1911 Liberty Nickel worth (in a PCGS holder)

dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
How about $213.50 (okay it is a sample slab)

Link to auction

I have a duplicate to this, glad my dealer gave it to me.
Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053

Comments

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have a few in the registries that collect labels. I'll never understand the attraction but..........whatever floats their boat, I guess.

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A very good 1911 Liberty Nickel in a PCGS holder is worth very good money ( in a PCGS holder ).
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unbelievable.......paying $213 for the label. I'll never understand it either.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A desperate attempt to create "rarity" and value in a collectible that is of little significance.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A desperate attempt to create "rarity" and value in a collectible that is of little significance. >>

Who is attempting to create the rarity? The high bidder, the under bidder, the seller (who started it at 99 cents)?
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If a 1911 Liberty Nickel in VG gets price legs, it won't keep them long. People will send more of them in and crush the market with an over supply.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If a 1911 Liberty Nickel in VG gets price legs, it won't keep them long. People will send more of them in and crush the market with an over supply. >>

the bidders are either insane or sample slab collectors.

ok, dimeman, tell me that's the same thing....

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>A desperate attempt to create "rarity" and value in a collectible that is of little significance. >>

Who is attempting to create the rarity? The high bidder, the under bidder, the seller (who started it at 99 cents)? >>

The bidders have created the "value". Unfortunately for them, there are two of them. When it comes time to sell will there again be two bidders?
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The bidders have created the "value". Unfortunately for them, there are two of them. When it comes time to sell will there again be two bidders? >>

Probably yes.
    There were 4 bidders who recorded bids over $100 for this,
    and several more for over $50.

m***e ( 735Feedback score is 500 to 999) US $213.50 May-31-15 14:35:01 PDT
    i***_ ( 324Feedback score is 100 to 499) US $211.00 May-31-15 14:34:45 PDT
    a***_ ( 572Feedback score is 500 to 999) US $133.56 May-31-15 14:34:57 PDT
    y***y ( 1430Feedback score is 1000 to 4,999) US $102.25 May-31-15 12:16:20 PDT
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok . . . let's rein it in just a bit . . . get a hold on reality here.

Sure . . . those of you that realize that a 1911 LibNick in VG is worth more than a dollar, we give you props, and congratulate you on your PCGS-Board worthy acumen in keeping us all aware of the value of such a common date!!!Without you, we would be subject to the whims and whimsical overcharging, ripping off, eBay style, totally relentless overbearing high pressure sales tactics that keep our Board members forever wary of omnipresent attacks on our basic numismatic knowledge!!! Wow . . . .$200 Plus for a LibNick???

Cats coupling with dogs!
    Bigfoot is walking downtown Portland!
    There was a second shooter on the grassy knoll!

OK . . . . . . . .let's slooooowwwww dowwwnnnnn . . . . . . .

The coin is a schump POS. You all really think you are scoring Board points by pointing that out to us? A medal can be mailed from me to you truly desire. Sort of like the Youth Soccer awards where everyone gets a trophy !!!!!!!!!!

OK . . . . . . .wanna know how to shut this thread, and this crap down right FAST!!!???

This sample slab, with a LibNick in it, is a truly rare sample. For those who have no clue and just want to pump up the post count -- HAVE AT IT !!

But . . . . you look like schlumps to those of us who know the rarity of samples, holders, and the value of (please hold my soul in your heart) . . . . .slabs.

OK . . . . I return you to your world of vitriol, insensitivity, and knee-jerk lack-of-knowledge frantic posts . . .

Drunner

• Options
    Hey . . . for the four posters on the Boards that like good English, biting commentary, and insightful true views on random wild posts intended to inflate the 'post-count' . . . . . .

Hope you liked it!

For our others . . . . sorry to bother you with this dribble . . . . .

Drunner
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭
    That was beautiful, Drunner, and I 100% agree it is a very scarce sample. I've seen less than a dozen personally, but I'm sure there are more out there.

There's also a sample from the same era that contains a Jefferson War Nickel. Those usually fetch $100+ on eBay, though they too seldom appear at auction.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    >>

We all know he is in Oregon, somewhere. My guess is on that island in Detroit Lake.
    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    >>

We all know he is in Oregon, somewhere. My guess is on that island in Detroit Lake. >>

No........its been lodged in Wash, DC for some time now. image

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm with this guy, if he would allow it. Understanding often makes me aggressive assertive. More often, the truth calms my weary soul.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    theres money to burn thats for sure.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Samples are cheap fun - wish I had gotten into them earlier.

The best part is, no one knows what a complete set is! New ones keep coming out of the woodwork now and then.

I suspect if a dual-coin PCGS sample holder came available, you'd see it push $1000.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want to know where it fits into the overall PCGS generations scheme, check out this thread.

Sample generations 1-5
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's simple collector's collect things, on here it's usually coins we talk about collecting.

• Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926

<< <i>Ok . . . let's rein it in just a bit . . . get a hold on reality here.

Sure . . . those of you that realize that a 1911 LibNick in VG is worth more than a dollar, we give you props, and congratulate you on your PCGS-Board worthy acumen in keeping us all aware of the value of such a common date!!!Without you, we would be subject to the whims and whimsical overcharging, ripping off, eBay style, totally relentless overbearing high pressure sales tactics that keep our Board members forever wary of omnipresent attacks on our basic numismatic knowledge!!! Wow . . . .$200 Plus for a LibNick???

Cats coupling with dogs!
    There was a second shooter on the grassy knoll!

OK . . . . . . . .let's slooooowwwww dowwwnnnnn . . . . . . .

The coin is a schump POS. You all really think you are scoring Board points by pointing that out to us? A medal can be mailed from me to you truly desire. Sort of like the Youth Soccer awards where everyone gets a trophy !!!!!!!!!!

OK . . . . . . .wanna know how to shut this thread, and this crap down right FAST!!!???

This sample slab, with a LibNick in it, is a truly rare sample. For those who have no clue and just want to pump up the post count -- HAVE AT IT !!

But . . . . you look like schlumps to those of us who know the rarity of samples, holders, and the value of (please hold my soul in your heart) . . . . .slabs.

OK . . . . I return you to your world of vitriol, insensitivity, and knee-jerk lack-of-knowledge frantic posts . . .

Drunner >>

+1

I agree with Drunner...

Besides, who cares what other people collect if it makes them happy? Why do people have to be so negative about it? For some people it's not about the money spent it's about adding to their collection. True collectors are not worried about what they can resell it for because they don't plan on selling (at least in the near term)

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    That was right funny and well stated Drunner image
  • Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    Duh!!!image
  • Options
    I may have been a bit too abrupt in my response, and I think I offended several with the 'cats & dogs' reference. Primarily dog lovers, who actually really like cats -- they taste just like chicken.

Also . . . apologies for driving this thread to the top again, but I just finished up grading a pile of Lois Duncan's "Killing Mr. Griffin" ending rewrites from my sophs . . . and had one thought drifting through my shallow but quite multifaceted skull . . . .

I certainly do view coins as our primary focus here (despite the rather prurient, offensive and seedy penchant I have for some plastic). I have spent an intense several decades with a passion that is unrivalled (at least among the 4 non-collecting neighbors on my cul-de-sac) for numismatics in the true and traditional sense. I was propelled into the world of plastic due to my sense of history as well as the realization there wasn't that much more in coins I wanted to really do after the Registries, old coin boards and binders, and my numismatic library.

The early slabs, be they PCGS/NGC, ANACS Certs, knock-off third tier, samples, or Cro-Magnon man stuffing a pretty pebble into a pouch made from the nether-regions of a mastodon . . . forever changed the numismatic world in ways that our traditional numismatists never would have dreamed could occur. To ignore this impact in our hobby is to be rather short-sighted. I choose to delight in the relatively recent history of slabs, their purpose, changes, economic and grading impact, nuances, and the camaraderie I have from other like-minded numismatists who also see us riding the crest of numismatic history with what slabs have done to the hobby.

Slabs (and samples) are not unrelated. Perhaps a sideline, but I keep a few old circulated LibNicks around just to remind me of my roots at all times . . .

Drunner

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still chuckling at your first post DRUNNER.... image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Samples are cheap fun - wish I had gotten into them earlier.

The best part is, no one knows what a complete set is! New ones keep coming out of the woodwork now and then.

I suspect if a dual-coin PCGS sample holder came available, you'd see it push $1000. >>

You mean like this one?

I would find a way to get $1000 for this sample holder.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The two Pan-Am coins cert #'s (above) are not available...an inside job to demonstrate the dual holder?
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file