Home U.S. Coin Forum

The new PCGS slabs

coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭
Just got back my first "new" slab today, and I'm beyond impressed. I'm not usually too moved to "updates" but the ability to easily scan and verify any slab is a huge plus in my mind. Plus, the hologram looks much more secure and sleek.

Got one of your own to post? Scan mine, and it'll take you right to the cert verify page, with a convenient link to the Coinfacts page...what a huge convenience at shows that will be! Neat!

imageimage

Comments

• morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks great from here. Any hairline scratches on the slab?
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Scan mine, and it'll take you right to the cert verify page, with a convenient link to the Coinfacts page...what a huge convenience at shows that will be! >>

It worked! Very cool.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    worked, thats pretty awesome.
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there any way to scan these with iPad? How? I have the CoinFacts app, can I use that? Thanks for any info ...

Best Regards,

George
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice innovation.... Cheers, RickO
  • OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is there any way to scan these with iPad? How? I have the CoinFacts app, can I use that? Thanks for any info ...

Best Regards,

George >>

George,
    Downloand QR Reader from the app store on your ipad. Open the app (allow it to use your camera) and hover over the image. It will open directly to the cert verify page within the QR Reader app.
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭
    That's right, on your phone, search for "barcode" apps...there should be a long list of them. I really don't know how it would work on a tablet, as I loathe tablets personally.
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those holders are very nice looking!
  • giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Is there any way to scan these with iPad? How? I have the CoinFacts app, can I use that? Thanks for any info ...

Best Regards,

George >>

George,
    Downloand QR Reader from the app store on your ipad. Open the app (allow it to use your camera) and hover over the image. It will open directly to the cert verify page within the QR Reader app. >>

Wow, that not only works but is faster than greased lightning. I downloaded the free QR Reader app and it takes you right to the PCGS Cert Verify page, and as a handy bonus, that page shows you whether there is an accompanying TrueView (in this case, there is).

Now, my other question remains. How does one use an iPad to scan the old PCGS barcodes? I tried using the QR Reader on a 1964 SMS nickel's barcode, and it just came up "unknown barcode" and gave me a bunch of alternative shopping sites (Amazon, Google etc.). The PCGS CoinFacts app disappointingly *acts* like it is scanning your barcode from the iPad, but clearly it is not working. (And no place could I find any documentation from PCGS saying "This is intended for iPhone only." In fairness, given my general lack of technological expertise, such information may have been "out there" and unseen by moi. Any help on older slabs? Thanks Operation Butter for an Enormous Help. +1 +1 +1 +1!
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    will they still fit into the pcgs boxes? just wondering
  • stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice coin!
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    will they still fit into the pcgs boxes? just wondering

According to the post last week by BlueChevy, they will.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Now, my other question remains. How does one use an iPad to scan the old PCGS barcodes? I tried using the QR Reader on a 1964 SMS nickel's barcode, and it just came up "unknown barcode" and gave me a bunch of alternative shopping sites (Amazon, Google etc.). The PCGS CoinFacts app disappointingly *acts* like it is scanning your barcode from the iPad, but clearly it is not working. (And no place could I find any documentation from PCGS saying "This is intended for iPhone only." In fairness, given my general lack of technological expertise, such information may have been "out there" and unseen by moi. Any help on older slabs? Thanks Operation Butter for an Enormous Help. +1 +1 +1 +1! >>

The barcodes on PCGS slabs for over two decades are nothing more than Interleaved 2 of 5 (ITF) encoding, first developed in 1972. It is a common standard of barcode, but only encodes numeric data (no alphanumeric characters or punctuation). Scanning the front barcode of a PCGS coin will not redirect you to a website, it will simply show you the numeric data encoded in the barcode.

The two dimensional Quick Response (QR) code on the back of the new PCGS labels encodes different data than just a numeric string. QR codes have been around since 1994, and have become particularly popular in advertising in the past 10 years. These are not something PCGS "invented" -- actually, PCGS is about 5-7 years behind the trend in other fields in using these. Regardless, the QR-code can encode all kinds of different data types. Websites are just one type of data -- and PCGS has simply encoded the Certification Lookup website in this reverse label code. There is a bit of "meta-data" encoded in the little QR-code stamp that tells your phone code scanner "Go to a web browser and then look up this http:// address". It is important that people realize the current use of the QR code on the slab labels has absolutely NO security utility. It is simply a way of linking you directly to the certification verification look-up webpage, exactly the same as if you were to type in the address http://www.pcgs.com/cert/XXXXXXXX manually.

QR-codes and ITF barcodes are not unique to iPhone, Android, or any other type of device. They are system-independent, so long as you have a scanner application than can "unpackage" the information encoded therein.

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>will they still fit into the pcgs boxes? just wondering

According to the post last week by BlueChevy, they will. >>

Yes, that BlueChevy guy(????) said they fit into PCGS boxes, including green PCGS boxes but not NGC boxes.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Now, my other question remains. How does one use an iPad to scan the old PCGS barcodes? I tried using the QR Reader on a 1964 SMS nickel's barcode, and it just came up "unknown barcode" >>

Try a basic barcode reader. I have both barecode reader and QR code readers, each serves its own purpose. Some my do dual duty but just as easy to have one of each.

• illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The new slabs that I have received fit ok in the regular PCGS boxes, but not perfectly. It seems that they do not fit well in the first or last slot of the PCGS box depending on which way you have the coin facing. So if you fill the box of 20, either the first coin or the last coin will have to be backwards for them to fit and for the lid to shut.

Edited to add that the coins do fit, but you have to force them into the first/last spot depending on which way they're facing.
  • machoponchomachoponcho Posts: 355 ✭✭✭
    Just got mine in yesterday. They sure do fit into the same PCGS boxes as that's what they shipped them to me in. The fit is more snug as the outer edge is thicker on this new holder. A box of 20 of these doesn't rattle around and make as much noise. I had no problem with first or last slot fitting a coin, though I have noted the second or second to last slot has given me trouble in the past with the old holders; I think it's just the way some of the blue boxes are made; some have that flaw. I don't think it is to do with the new holder.

These new holders stack with the old ones fine. The new holders are harder to fit into place for the stack with other newer holders, but once you do, the stack is sturdier than a stack of older PCGS slabs. The raised corners for stacking on these new slabs are smaller but are raised higher as I have pictured below.

5 older PCGS slabs wedged between 15 newer ones:

Same box but viewed from side:

Side by side from side:

Side by side head-on tilted:

Side by side head-on overhead:

reverses up side by side:

Raised corner comparison:

-end-
    I have existed since the creation of this world and will exist until its end. Only my form will change. For these 80 human life years, I have the benefit of having a functioning body and consciousness. I will not waste this opportunity.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>will they still fit into the pcgs boxes? just wondering

According to the post last week by BlueChevy, they will. >>

Yes, that BlueChevy guy(????) said they fit into PCGS boxes, including green PCGS boxes but not NGC boxes. >>

lmao, thanks blue chevy person ( or who ever you are today ) its all good
  • machoponchomachoponcho Posts: 355 ✭✭✭
    Despite what Don Willis says about the new slabs, having to "basically destroy the slab" to crack out the coin, my direct experience is these new holders are just as easy to get the coin out of, at least using my tried and true method I've been using for many years now. What is harder with these newer holders is smashing the upper part of the slab to remove the grading label.
    I have existed since the creation of this world and will exist until its end. Only my form will change. For these 80 human life years, I have the benefit of having a functioning body and consciousness. I will not waste this opportunity.
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin in the OP. Slightly rotated dies too.
  • hiijackerhiijacker Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭
    You need a QR reader app. Try the Scanlife app.
    Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
    Cashback from Mr. Rebates
  • Use the RedLazer app. It's an awesome barcode and QR code scanner.
  • cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also got back a sub yesterday. 3 coins and I am really impressed - Well done PCGS!!!

Ken
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I also got back a sub yesterday. 3 coins and I am really impressed - Well done PCGS!!!

Ken >>

Yeah! They stack again! Only problem is mixing generations.
  • Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are hard to crack open. Already cracked a few.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file