Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A case for modern design...

kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
Here's a couple of examples, but I'm sure there's a lot more..

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those black boxes with X's in them would be an improvement over todays coin designs!image
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the almost-flat relief of most modern US design is quite unappealing.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>the almost-flat relief of most modern US design is quite unappealing. >>

That classic 5 cent piece isn't exactly jumping with relief and that modern dollar looks like it has reasonable relief.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bring back dentils,

MORE DENTILS!
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there's nothing wrong with collectors preferring the Classic designs but you present a good case.

there is an interesting comparison which can be made with regard to the way modern designs are rendered and the appearance of that Shield Nickel reverse --- problems with production. when the Mint initiated the W/Rays design there was obvious difficulty with the Nickel alloy so the Rays were removed. with Modern issues it is simply that to produce hundreds of millions of coins certain concessions need to be made, low relief being one of them. the twist is that with better steel for the dies today some intricate designs can be done, just not in the numbers needed for commerce. I have always wondered how they were able to strike the Shield Nickel obverse with the fine detail required, but I have seen many coins where the dies had failed and must have eventually shattered.

somewhere, somehow, there has to be a middle ground which would give us inspired designs in large numbers. attempts have been made and rejected, so I have to believe that it is the "power" which has the final decision that is to blame.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bring back hand engraving & get rid of the computer designed cartoons. Coins without the imperfections of the human touch lack character.
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The most beautiful coin ever minted,,,,,

The 2nd most beautiful coin ever minted

3rd most beautiful coin ever minted

Of course these are JMHO,,,,, image

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>the almost-flat relief of most modern US design is quite unappealing. >>

The OP has a valid point, but I think Barndog hit the nail on the head.
    The classic nickel is an obvious loser in the contest, but where are the details in the feathers on the modern eagles?
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    in the OP pictures I believe the Modern designs to be a bit more "real" in their depiction.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are right about one out of three. The Shield Nickel design is dull, flat and boring. They did not call the obverse "a tombstone" for nothing.

As for the Old Washington Quarter I have disliked it since I was a kid. It is flat and crowded made worse by the fact that Mrs. Laura Fraser got cheated out of her chance to design the coin. It was the one modern coin that never interested me when I was starting out as a collector.

I never cared for the 1984 Olympic eagle. To me it looked twisted and odd. So I'll take the Trade Dollar eagle which also appeared in a similar way on the Twenty Cent Piece.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The OP left out the old flat boring obverses of the modern coinage. Nice attempt. I will second that the dentils would add a nice touch. Also, in your first example, the Washington quarter reverse is much too crowded. As for the shield nickel, it is one of the worst coin designs ever...the two cent piece could also be right up there with one of the worst designs.

Also, a lot of the modern coins seem to have the flattest reliefs ever whereas many older designs seem like they are chiseled, including the examples you show...besides the shield nickel of course.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DP
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As for the Old Washington Quarter I have disliked it since I was a kid. It is flat and crowded made worse by the fact that Mrs. Laura Fraser got cheated out of her chance to design the coin. >>

I never liked Frazer's design. To me it showed a grumpy-looking Washington, a squashed motto behind Washington's head, and a date that was too small and too far to the left. At least the 1999 Washington $5 gold featured a larger and better positioned date.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    The quarter that never was - but the eagle looks more like a blimp

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh yeah.. That No Motto $10 Indian was left off for a reason. It's stunning!
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I consider most modern designs to be flat, commercialized and lacking in artistic expression. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file