Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Finally my newp chops are back from PCGS and it appears they are tight.

RealoneRealone Posts: 18,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
Cert no 32266250 on Coinfacts properly graded, the 1873-P is very tough at this grade
Cert no 32266252 on Coinfacts very conservatively graded, this 1876-cc comes with weak strikes, only two known chopped of this variety, the I/I Non DDR
Cert no 32266249 1813 50c very tough chopped
Cert no 32266268 1798 $1 also very tough chopped
In the end Me happyimage

Sorry can't present pics

Comments

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Genuine VF Details (98 - Damage)

XF45

AU55

Genuine G Details (98 - Damage)
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coins!
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thank you very much CJ! >>

You're welcome. I just added the grades (or problem codes).
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coins. I'm curious why you say "they are tight"? It seems both of the trade dollars are accurately graded from the pictures.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's interesting that the earlier coins are considered damaged while the later coins are considered chopped. Unless, of course, there is additional damage to those earlier coins that is not obvious in the images.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Seems kind of silly that a chopped Trade $ gets graded but a Draped Bust, or anything else, it's damage . . .

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Nice coins. I'm curious why you say "they are tight"? It seems both of the trade dollars are accurately graded from the pictures. >>

As I previously wrote, the only disagreement that I had to their subjective grade was with the 1876-cc I/I Non DDR, that die marriage comes weakly struck on the crown/hair and on eagle's wingtops etc. In hand there is plenty of luster for a higher grade imso (in my subjective opinion). I realize that a grading company cannot not know the nuance's of all die marriages. I have had similar problems with certain capped bust half dimes and dimes. But life goes on image. >>

I don't think the weak(er) strike is why PCGS graded it a 55. It's usually pretty easy to tell weak strike vs wear in the XF/AU/UNC grades.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Nice coins. I'm curious why you say "they are tight"? It seems both of the trade dollars are accurately graded from the pictures. >>

As I previously wrote, the only disagreement that I had to their subjective grade was with the 1876-cc I/I Non DDR, that die marriage comes weakly struck on the crown/hair and on eagle's wingtops etc. In hand there is plenty of luster for a higher grade imso (in my subjective opinion). I realize that a grading company cannot not know the nuance's of all die marriages. I have had similar problems with certain capped bust half dimes and dimes. But life goes on image. >>

I don't think the weak(er) strike is why PCGS graded it a 55. It's usually pretty easy to tell weak strike vs wear in the XF/AU/UNC grades. >>

I agree. I wouldn't blame the graders on this one, looks like an accurate grade to me for a dipped coin with enough field friction to disqualify the 58 grade. Or did you think it was MS?
  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like them all very much. The 73-P is pretty scarce as I'm sure you know already. Did you cherry pick it for a good price? I have 8 or 9 raw Trades that I need to submit soon. The 76-CC looks like it was reasonably graded, I would've guessed 55/58. I too think Pcgs should allow chopmarks on other coins to grade if no other damage is present.
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd call the 1873 XF details

I'm surprised legitimate chops bring a details grade outside the trade dollars

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭
    There's enough obvious wear in the fields of the 1876-CC to preclude an AU-58 grade. I think AU-55 is just right.
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice and interesting chopped coins.

Safe to say no chopped coin, other than a Trade Dollar, has received a straight grade? From any TPG?

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does PCGS record chop marks for authenticity?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coins Realone... I like chopmarks...gives a coin character.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does PCGS record chop marks for authenticity? >>

do you mean track the known chops for authentic characters/choppers etc so that someone doesn't just start chopping them now trying to make them

potentially increase in value or something of the like?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i like the 1798. very cool coin.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least they could have identified the other than Trade Dollars "counter stamped" and not damaged.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    can't be a whole lot of bust dollars and half dollars out there with contemporary chop marks, can there?
  • Options

<< <i>At least they could have identified the other than Trade Dollars "counter stamped" and not damaged. >>

Even though the code 98 signifies "damage", PCGS will normally print "Chop Mark" on the label, which is a nice compromise between assigning a grade vs. lumping them with non-numismatically/historically connected damage.
  • Options
    DDRDDR Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not call PCGS tight. On the Trade dollars, I think you were lucky to get the 1873 graded. Frequently, PCGS will look at that deep gouge on the obverse and, even with the chops, grade the coin as damaged. Be happy it graded.

The 76-CC looks about right: a little wear plus a dipping equals 55.

The Bust Half and the Dollar are extremely cool; don't worry about the grade.
  • Options
    Nope, that's not what I am saying.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I do not think that a weakly struck head would have anything to do with the grade until perhaps MS66 or so
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Nope, that's not what I am saying. >>

well your 1876-cc is pretty darn lite, now I haven't seen it in hand but from the looks of yours it sure appears it was likely dipped. >>

I think what DDR is saying is that his statement about YOUR coin had no bearing on HIS coin. He never claimed that his coin was original (or not), I have no clue how you got confused between the two image
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looked at the big pic - grade seems accurate. Prominent field wear and a light scrub seem apparent.
  • Options

<< <i>Lets go back to yesteryear , a bunch of months ago when I provided photos of the 1813 50c with the chop, I remember like it was yesterday wherein DDR privately told me it was a genuine chop, but later changed his mind when Originaldan and Crypto said it was absolutely not. However fastforward to today it currently graces the cover of the most recent Chopmark News vol18 issue 1. Now how can that be? It seems that a few of the trade dollar players love to opine toward the neg when it comes to grading and deciphering coins via only photos whilst the owner has the coin(s) in hand. All opinions are subjective, including mine but to state emphatically that the subject coin doesn't have a genuine chopmark or cannot possible be an au58 just off a photo is plain stu........well you get the jist.image >>

Always the victim, be it grades or the forum.

It's the weekend, let's all get out and enjoy the nice weather.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

well your 1876-cc is pretty darn lite, now I haven't seen it in hand but from the looks of yours it sure appears it was likely dipped. >>

I think what DDR is saying is that his statement about YOUR coin had no bearing on HIS coin. He never claimed that his coin was original (or not), I have no clue how you got confused between the two image >>

This is what DDR said " I think your 1876-cc looks about right a little wear plus a dipping equals au55".
    So why talk negatively about a trade dollar being light in color, practically his whole collection is graded by PCGS and are pretty darn light in color ie dipped. I wouldn't throw rocks at others glass houses, not necessary. I don't think you understood what he was saying. Meanwhile this 1876-cc is an R-8 as a chopmark and an R-7 unchopmark and now resides in a PCGS Au55 holder, that is probably the most important point and he knows that and saw it on ebay when it went off, he just was too late to the party. >>

I'm so confused...

Sure, DDR never said his collection WASN'T dipped. So how does that have anything to do with his comment about your coins? Some people don't see dipping as a negative, but it certainly can negatively affect grades.
  • Options
    Wow, I regret even commenting on your coins and PCGS's grades.

Let's just let it go.

I, for one, am going to take OriginalDan's advice and go out and enjoy the good weather this weekend.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I think what DDR is saying is that his statement about YOUR coin had no bearing on HIS coin. He never claimed that his coin was original (or not), I have no clue how you got confused between the two image >>

This is what DDR said " I think your 1876-cc looks about right a little wear plus a dipping equals au55".
    So why talk negatively about a trade dollar being light in color, practically his whole collection is graded by PCGS and are pretty darn light in color ie dipped. I wouldn't throw rocks at others glass houses, not necessary. I don't think you understood what he was saying. Meanwhile this 1876-cc is an R-8 as a chopmark and an R-7 unchopmark and now resides in a PCGS Au55 holder, that is probably the most important point and he knows that and saw it on ebay when it went off, he just was too late to the party. >>

I'm so confused...

Sure, DDR never said his collection WASN'T dipped. So how does that have anything to do with his comment about your coins? Some people don't see dipping as a negative, but it certainly can negatively affect grades. >>

image >>

You realize you can't just "I agree with you" out of everything, especially when it's a statement that contradicts what you were saying earlier.
  • Options
    Wow Realone, that last post was very clear and logical. I agree with most everything you said.

Did someone hack your account? image

Also, that 76-CC is killer.
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭
    All's well that ends well.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file