Home U.S. Coin Forum

A Couple of CBH Newps From a Forum Member: 1813 50C/UNI & 1811 O.113

These were offered to me by one of our very own at a price I could not refuse. One is a popular Redbook variety and the other is a rare die marriage. The 1813 50C/UNI is a duplicate (my other one is also VF) and I already know I'm going to have a hard time deciding which to keep, if I don't keep both!

I plan on sending these two to grading soon; what do you think our host will call them?

Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.

Comments

• jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. VF25
    2. Details

Nice coins
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd guess VF25 and G06
    I don't know about the Overton 113, but is that damage?
  • coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭
    The rim on the 1811 isn't damaged in case that's what you're focusing on.
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The rim on the 1811 isn't damaged in case that's what you're focusing on. >>

Yes that's what I was wondering.
  • coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The rim on the 1811 isn't damaged in case that's what you're focusing on. >>

Yes that's what I was wondering. >>

It's called a "Guido"
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great coins, Brian. The 50C/UNI is such a fun botch-job by Reich.

The '11 O.113 is a very scarce marriage. I have one just a tad more worn which I call F12. PCGS called it VG8. Grr.

Are you concerned about the loop-scratch in the left obverse? It looks ancient but also intentional.
    Lance.
  • scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank heaven for the botch jobs though. They usually end up being my favorites.

Even with the Guido and loop scratch, I think the 1811 could grade. F12 is my guess.

Matt
  • USMoneyloverUSMoneylover Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    VF30 and f12
    Finest Coins and Relics
  • BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Are you concerned about the loop-scratch in the left obverse? It looks ancient but also intentional... >>

Yes, I am slightly concerned about that spot. Although I am fairly certain it would pass at grading because it was done with such a fine-tip tool and isn't obviously graffiti (I see no clear letter, number, symbol, etc), I still have some reserves. But I'm going to give it a shot anyway. Right now I'm at about 70/30 in favor of it grading.

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>
    Are you concerned about the loop-scratch in the left obverse? It looks ancient but also intentional... >>

Yes, I am slightly concerned about that spot. Although I am fairly certain it would pass at grading because it was done with such a fine-tip tool and isn't obviously graffiti (I see no clear letter, number, symbol, etc), I still have some reserves. But I'm going to give it a shot anyway. Right now I'm at about 70/30 in favor of it grading. >>

I am very curious how it turns out. Looking closely you can more than a simple loop...kind of a heart shape, as well as another loop near the mouth. If the graders' eyes are drawn to this area I think it spells trouble.
    Lance.
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations.

I really like the 1813. Great look and cool variety.

I'm uneducated enough on die marriages to not appreciate the rarity of the 1811. Late die state too.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Is Brian to 100 yet? image
    You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

http://www.busthalfaddict.com
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

It's called a "Guido" >>

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

<< <i>

It's a planchet rim clip error which is worn very smooth.
  • BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

It's a planchet rim clip error which is worn very smooth. >>

Well, not exactly. A "guido" is actually caused during the edge-lettering process.

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Well, not exactly. A "guido" is actually caused during the edge-lettering process. >>

yes the planchet does not make a complete rotation in the castaing machine. Usually there are edge lettering errors when this happens.
    You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

http://www.busthalfaddict.com

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Well, not exactly. A "guido" is actually caused during the edge-lettering process. >>

Interesting as both the obverse and reverse show the "Blakesley effect" of a rim clip.
  • mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    25 or 30 on the 1813. The 1811 either gets bagged or netted down to VG10 on account of the business in the obverse field. There's also the scratch and the cut near stars 8 and 9 -- might just be a little too much going on with this one for a straight grade.
    mirabela
  • NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VF30 and Fine details

The 1811 l don't think will get a straight grade but neat error.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file