Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Help me identify mark to the east side of Lincoln

I have this 1966 Lincoln Memorial Cent that I recently picked up that has a mark on the reverse at the columns to the east side of Lincoln. Can anyone help me identify this mark? The Die rotation in the photo is pretty accurate and slightly rotated.

Thank you.

Email me with any questions at jasonmblaydes@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That would be a die clash.

I've superimposed your obverse on your reverse to demonstrate.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice catch Jerseycat....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice overlay!

These types of die clashes on memorials are pretty common. I start saving them when you can make out the letters of liberty to the west of Lincoln. If die clashes interest you, be sure to scrutinize the obverse for impressions of the memorial. They can come very nice, with full bars right across the bust. Because of their resemblance to a jail, they're affectionately known as "prisoner cents."

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

<< <i>That would be a die clash.

I've superimposed your obverse on your reverse to demonstrate. >>

<< <i>Nice overlay!

These types of die clashes on memorials are pretty common. I start saving them when you can make out the letters of liberty to the west of Lincoln. If die clashes interest you, be sure to scrutinize the obverse for impressions of the memorial. They can come very nice, with full bars right across the bust. Because of their resemblance to a jail, they're affectionately known as "prisoner cents." >>

Thanks for the feedback guys. I thought it may be a die clash, but needed to ask because I don't really collect this series. Would it be to any benefit to have this clash attributed through NGC?

Thanks again.
    Email me with any questions at jasonmblaydes@gmail.com
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice overlay!

These types of die clashes on memorials are pretty common. I start saving them when you can make out the letters of liberty to the west of Lincoln. If die clashes interest you, be sure to scrutinize the obverse for impressions of the memorial. They can come very nice, with full bars right across the bust. Because of their resemblance to a jail, they're affectionately known as "prisoner cents." >>

"Prisonor Cents" That's funny!image

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭
    Actually, that would be the north side.
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes a thread surprises me. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji