Home U.S. Coin Forum

GTG of this 1809 III Edge CBH ***GRADE POSTED***

Just got the grade back on this one. I'm slightly surprised by PCGS's assessment so I'd like to hear what you all think!

Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.

Comments

• jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess 20.
    I don't see any damage or problems...?
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minor rim issues - but should be Ok - VF25?

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • I am thinking F-15 is what PCGS would say, but on the other hand is it really worth the 20 bucks for an economy submission or the 32 for regular?
    You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

http://www.busthalfaddict.com
  • BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am thinking F-15 is what PCGS would say, but on the other hand is it really worth the 20 bucks for an economy submission or the 32 for regular? >>

At VF, I think it's worth it. At F, probably not. The III Edge is a slightly better Redbook variety.
  • ANACS/NGC gave this a VF20 but the die cracks and the slightly bent strike resulted in excessive obverse wear where the reverse may be considered XF40 with luster remaining (there is obverse luster as well)

The OP coin is a 107 not a 107a

1809 O-107a
    You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

• TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holed and repaired?

Tom

• JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very Nice Coin
    I'm usually a bit too conservative in my grading but I'll take a stab at F-12
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    looks vf25 to me

sweet example by the way
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My initial impression is VF-20, but I always end up a grade too high on these. So, F-15, IMO.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Now you got me wondering if PCGS gave it a VG8 or 10?
    You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice, by the way! image
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a 20 to me....maybe 25.
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Holed and repaired? >>

That maybe correct.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll gamble on holed and repaired.

(I know not how to grade coins of this era. So, there will be no guess on the details grade.)

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll say a strong F15.
    The holed and repaired theory seems plausible too, adjacent to star 13.
    It has a pleasing cir-cam look.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first impression was VG10 on this one, and that's a net grade for a few issues on a coin that I'd see as Fine without them.

Don't know about a repair, I see the area between the date and star 13 but do not see corresponding area on reverse unless it's between the C and the arrowheads..

are the dies rotated significantly?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Well they say owning adds a few points, right? I thought this coin was lock VF. Oh well, no big deal.

Thanks for the comments!

<< <i>My first impression was VG10 on this one, and that's a net grade for a few issues on a coin that I'd see as Fine without them.

Don't know about a repair, I see the area between the date and star 13 but do not see corresponding area on reverse unless it's between the C and the arrowheads..

are the dies rotated significantly? >>

No repair or rim issues. I think the weak strike below the arrows gives the illusion of rim issues.

Also that's just some gunk below star 13.
  • okiedudeokiedude Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    I was going to say 20, and I still do. Given the strike issues especially on the early dates, the TPG's are going to be hit or miss. They look at too much 20th century stuff, which makes it easy-LOL.
    BST with: Oldhobo, commoncents05, NoLawyer, AgentJim007, Bronzemat, 123cents, Lordmarcovan, VanHalen, ajaan, MICHAELDIXON, jayPem and more!
  • coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭
    Regardless, it's worth VF20 money.
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    congrats 1st off for it making grade
    i myself never count on 100% there

f15
    yeah i think they under shot this one...oh well

great looking example in a pcgs holder now...right on...congrats
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had it as a 15 or 20 before reading your post. It's really a 15 but you know, perhaps a market 20. A pretty piece regardless.
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it. Easily worth VF20 money. Probably more. Great surfaces. Nice circulated cameo look. Smart buy.
    Lance.
  • CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭
    I thought you were going to get VF-20.

15 is close I guess.
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a nice 1810/11 just about like that, sent it in and got a 15....problem with these kind of coins is that they are only worth trying to grade once, if even that, and if the holder says 15, you're only getting 15 money for it.
    If you paid 15 money and get it into a 20 holder, you might make your grading fees plus a couple bucks. When it comes back 15, you just ate the fees basically...

Super small potatoes, and my point really is that folks will say it's "worth 20 money", but in a F15 holder, it's probably not image
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have said 20....but I guess that is the difference between in hand and a picture...Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file