Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Canadian Dollar Commem box?

I received this box housing a US trade dollar from a Canadian dealer on ebay in the mail, and it seems the box was designed for some Canadian coin. I was hoping somebody here might recognize it, or if it's just a generic box.

Comments

• Options
    GreigGreig Posts: 89 ✭✭
    Looks like a Canadian commemorative dollar holder, but not clear what issue. The color may be an identifier to a member of this forum.
  • Options
    sylsyl Posts: 902 ✭✭✭
    Is it blue or green?
  • Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey bill, It's green.

Just a quick follow up question if the case is indeed a commemorative case - is it known to tone coins? And if so, in what fashion?
  • Options
    sylsyl Posts: 902 ✭✭✭
    There are a few listed for green and maybe 7-8 listed for blue, so I can't tell what you have, since there are no pictures in my books. Most of the "flocked" inserts created some highly colorful toning on coins. Whether this one did or not, I have no clue. Most of the blue ones held specimens. I can't really definitively help you. You'll need someone who collects RCM special issues.
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    I don't have my book handy. But the green cases like that were for a few issues in the late 90s-2000s. 1997-2005 or so. Silver dollars and also special issue coins such as colorized Silver Maple Leafs and probably some other coins.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey bill, It's green.

Just a quick follow up question if the case is indeed a commemorative case - is it known to tone coins? And if so, in what fashion? >>

These cases were all issued with coins inside airtight capsules, so no toning. The only Canadian silver dollar cases issued without capsules were 1971-72-73, which is why those are more often than not found with toning due to exposure to the case/inserts.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys for the info!