Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Cracked, imaged, and sent 5 world coins to PCGS for grading today...now the waiting :)

Snagged these coins in auctions over the past 3-4 weeks, in various slabs and grades.

Feel free to take some guesses as to what PCGS would grade these.

Comments

• mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    Nice colours on the kreuzer!
    Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    Grades posted...I guess when you go 5 for 5 with no "Genuine" it's always a good day image

I can speculate on the grades but they're not so important, just wanted the coins in PCGS plastic go add to my set.

• brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Youch...MS66 to MS63 on that Kreuzer. I would make a wild guess that it had turned a bit in the holder since it was graded MS66 by NGC back in the day (the NGC holder was very old). Those couple "smudgy" dark spots bothered me a bit when you originally posted this in its own thread. At least it came back problem free.

For posterity, could you remind us what the original 5 grades were. I think these kind of exercises are useful to get a feel for how NGC and PCGS vary in their grading.
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

In order of grades posted...

NGC MS66
    NGC AU58
    ANACS XF45
    NGC AU58
    NGC AU55
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Yeah the original grades are in parentheses at the bottom of each image. I love the image display. I'm a big fan of the black background with mirror foreground, but this white thing you've got going on with the mini flags and typewriter font is doing it for me. Very nice work!

I'm loving this 1869 set of everything! -- that MS66 dime looks proof like! outstanding
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    very nice coins.
    I believe the 1869 Kreuzer is considerably undergraded.
    Have not seen one that nice before.
    just wondering if the grading criteria is based on US coins or if there is a different criteria for old European coins?
    the 9, is it a 9/small 9 or a 9/small inverted 6 ? just wondering....
    IMO, in the German grading system this coin would be designated either as a Proof or as a " first strike" of exceptional quality.
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>very nice coins.
    I believe the 1869 Kreuzer is considerably undergraded.
    Have not seen one that nice before.
    just wondering if the grading criteria is based on US coins or if there is a different criteria for old European coins?
    the 9, is it a 9/small 9 or a 9/small inverted 6 ? just wondering....
    IMO, in the German grading system this coin would be designated either as a Proof or as a " first strike" of exceptional quality. >>

It's not a proof by any stretch of the imagination. Many, many of these German States minors exist in absolutely pristine condition. This one looks pretty average as they go. It was minted in more than 2.7 million coins, and if the grades given by NGC for the 14 graded by them are any indication, they are readily available in gem state (3 in 65, 8 in 66, 3 in 67). It has some interesting toning, but pretty common -- in fact, the 1869 date is the highest mintage of the type from 1865-1871.
    -Brandon
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]

• SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    There's consistency in the grading of most coins, the three 58s (and mostly the sovereign) came back 58 and the Anacs was upgraded. I assume that it was in a small Anacs holder? The kreuzer was overgraded by NGC IMHO. I have indeed seen top notch examples of this type, usually blast white and with exceptional luster. As long as you don't mind the downgrade, you're ok.

Me on the other hand, I would have sold the kreuzer in its NGC holder, and if it were a very old one, I would have even hyped that fact. Then, I would have purchased a PCGS 65-66 with the proceeds of my sale.

I used to do things like this, cracking out coins, just because I wanted them in PCGS holders, but I don't anymore, unless I suspect that the coin is seriously undergraded. In most of the coins I purchase there's no added value in a PCGS coin. Besides that, there are very few coins that I need, to finish whatever I have to finish, and it's very likely that I'll buy them slabbed from the get go.

I do not participate in any sets, registry or others, because IMHO it's a trap to waste money in a similar way. To the extent that when my platinum membership got automatically renewed last year, I couldn't come up with over one raw coin, or over 4 NGC ones to crossover 10 months after the renewal date. Since the voucher was for 8 coins that had to be sent simultaneously and in the same tier, (crossovers or raw, incl. gold), I ended up asking friends to give me their gold coins to submit them on their behalf at a much cheaper rate than they would have paid, that covered the cost of my membership which I did not renew this year.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
    Dimitri. brg5658, you make some good educated guesses and input on certain matters...

The Anacs was indeed an old white holder, but it doesn't matter because the coin is all there.

The NGC holder was probably the oldest holder of NGC I've ever seen, tiny/small white fat holder. The coin probably was toned but I'm certain toned even more in the holder. The coins is basically worthless in context of my collection, but the eye appeal in hand is something to behold. I don't mind white coins, but they have to have originality...I don't have a preference for toned coins either, unless they have something special about them. I assure you the little guy from from Bavaria is a very eye appealing coin that I'm very enthused to have in my 1869 set of everything. I am not striving to buy expensive or prominent or high grade coins, I'm trying to find some coins with originality and that have character, and I put them into PCGS plastic because that's what I prefer to collect (I factor that into the purchase price).

So all your points about the upgrade/downgrade/regrade/overgrade/undergrade are well taken, but I'm not trying to get a better grade here/there, not relevant really.

I will say though, on the Mexican piece, it' s 1 Pop 1/0 ... and it's literally a Pop 1. No other coins have been graded by PCGS of this date/variety. Kind of cool image

• marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought in order of pics above

MS61
    AU53
    XF45
    AU58
    MS64

so looks like you did good either way and congrats on ur POP1