Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Newp: 1869 German 1k Bavaria -- opinions please.

Hey Gang,

As you know I'm building an 1869 set of everything and right/wrong in PCGS plastic, but most of the World coins are not in PCGS plastic (NGC kind of has the market on this).

So I get this 1k (pic below) and it looks jaw dropping stunning in hand...I have 6 coins to send into PCGS for grading (5 NGC and 1 Anacs 1869 coins) and am tossed up about whether to crack and send raw or send in slabs for crossover. I'm not that concerned about grades, just want to get them into PCGS plastic. I got some feedback on the Thai coin (thanks for that), how about this coin? I've only seen a few so I don't have much to base my opinion from, but this is a SUPER old NGC slab and the coin is stunning (to me anyway).

Frankly if using U.S. Coins standards this coin could 67, I just don't see a single thing wrong with it but again I'm not an expert in the series. Let me know your thoughts.

Comments

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one is a bit different from your Thai coin.

To me (based on those photos) I would say PCGS would grade this coin as 65 or 66. I don't think it would get a 67. I say this because of the disturbance / gunk to the left of the crown and above the cross of the crown. It's a nice coin, but it doesn't have that "MS67" look to my eye.

Ultimately, does the numeric grade really matter to you all that much on this coin? I don't think this coin would sell for appreciably different prices in MS65 vs. MS67, so for a German minor like this I think it's all a wash. You're just out the certification fees for needing/wanting a different brand of plastic tomb.

Best of luck. And, of course -- these are just my opinions. YMMV.
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for your feedback. Essentially your input is that there is nothing wrong with coin ... that's most important to me.

I would prefer to just send them all in raw...I don't know much about grading these so I'll take your input as is.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the coin and think it is a good add to you set.
  • Options
    CrackoutCrackout Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't really have an opinion regarding your question.

I just wanted to say "WOW", what an amazingly colorful piece!

I've done some U.S. type sets on the PCGS registry and got everything in PCGS plastic. But I'm currently doing a gold sovereign type set and about 75% of the coins are NGC. I've learned to accept the fact that this set will always be a combination of NGC/PCGS.

I wish you luck on getting this one and the five others in PCGS plastic. Sometimes finding the coin is only half the problem.
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wish you luck on getting this one and the five others in PCGS plastic. Sometimes finding the coin is only half the problem. >>

Words of wisdom, for sure...

I have 2 world coins in grading now, been there since March 23 so hopefully grades should post soon. I'm holding my breath and using that as a proxy as both coins were sent in raw. An 1869 Japanese 2Bu and an 1869 Egyptian 100 Qirsh. Might wait to see how I do before I crack these 6 out. If I do OK I'll crack and send raw as that will save some $$ on grading fees, but if I draw the short straw on the 2 in house now I'll probably send in for Crossover and bite the bullet..

Thanks for your feedback regarding the coin's appearance. It really is amazing in hand, I collect US coins and wish I had a 3 cent piece (about the same size) that looked like this, would be simply incredible.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin.

Speaking of supergrade German States kreuzers from the 1860s, I just cracked this and sent it to PCGS raw.

Stay tuned for results. Should be any day now. (Order rec'd 3/24, so it's been 21 business days now.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should earn a 65 - but it will be a 65 knocker!

Like it alot!
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand why the need for the Registry... should 66. It is a wonderful coin

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well,my risky crack-n'-cross was a success. The coin I posted above went from NGC MS67 to PCGS MS67+

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.